Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Price" music question  (Read 1995 times)

joshg

"Price" music question
« on: July 25, 2004, 04:12:50 AM »
Does anyone here know the name of the (stock?) music cue they used to use during those 'space capsule' showcases on Price? I heard it on the radio the other morning and I thought it would come in handy for some things I wanted to do. I don't think it was a Score piece, so I won't be taking any offers for cassettes...

Josh
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Robair

"Price" music question
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 08:00:36 AM »
It was a mild disco version of the theme to the movie "Close Encounters of the third Kind". If you're serious about using this piece I'd go right to the John Williams original. If not, several disco versions were done, by Meco and Geoff Love. I'd try to find the Meco one.
--Robair

uncamark

"Price" music question
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 05:18:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Jul 25 2004, 07:00 AM\']It was a mild disco version of the theme to the movie "Close Encounters of the third Kind". If you're serious about using this piece I'd go right to the John Williams original. If not, several disco versions were done, by Meco and Geoff Love. I'd try to find the Meco one.[/quote]
And the cue used in the beginning of the Showcase was the "Star Trek/TNG" (or "Star Trek:  The Motion Picture") theme by the late Jerry Goldsmith--but you probably knew that already.

catkins522

"Price" music question
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 07:56:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Jul 25 2004, 07:00 AM\'] It was a mild disco version of the theme to the movie "Close Encounters of the third Kind". If you're serious about using this piece I'd go right to the John Williams original. If not, several disco versions were done, by Meco and Geoff Love. I'd try to find the Meco one. [/quote]
 Meco song "Theme from Close Encounters"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=music

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
"Price" music question
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 05:38:52 PM »
Actually, the version used was included with the original soundtrack LP released in 1977 as a 45 RPM insert, it was not included on the first CD issue of that album from Arista, but when Varese Sarabande reissued the reissue of the original album, the disco track was indeed there. I picked up the Varese release in 1995 while on vacation in Gatlinburg, TN.

The other part is taken straight from the soundtrack to Star Trek: The Motion Picture, the Main Title to be precise.

And there you have it!

joshg

"Price" music question
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 07:33:14 PM »
I found the Meco version and it doesn't sound familiar. Could it be that they used a different piece of music later on? Then again, maybe they used the Geoff Love version instead?

Josh
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

uncamark

"Price" music question
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 05:44:20 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Jul 26 2004, 06:33 PM\']I found the Meco version and it doesn't sound familiar. Could it be that they used a different piece of music later on? Then again, maybe they used the Geoff Love version instead?[/quote]
It was the John Williams single version that they used--made the U.S. Top 40, IIRC.  I do have a copy of it at home (yes, I haven't thrown out my 45s yet) and I remember hearing it on the radio and "American Top 40" in particular.