Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any updates on What The Blank?  (Read 2975 times)

Kevin Prather

Any updates on What The Blank?
« on: July 23, 2004, 11:49:31 PM »
Any new news about the WTB pilot that was shot in May? Has the show been picked up?

tvrandywest

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 12:23:24 AM »
No committment as of last week.

While apparently the FOX suits and skirts didn't pop the corks on a case of Dom Perignon immediately after their first viewing, I'm remaining mildly optimistic for a short order. Sometimes pilots languish for months and even years until they see any action. While far from a definitive example, here's one that is top of mind.

Intoxicated with the early success of "Weakest Link" NBC had one of the Executive Producers of the show jump whole hog into "On The Cover". For several reasons they ultimately shifted into low and hit the brakes. The project was soon dead and that producer went on to "Dog Eat Dog". Now in a different incarnation the basic concept is repackaged and debuting on PAX a couple of years later.

Another recent precedent: Although I never discussed the matter with those who know, I can't imagine that the Oxygen network was the first place "I've Got A Secret" was shopped. Those with the history can probably site similar examples from the golden era.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 12:24:46 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 03:07:52 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 11:23 PM\'] Another recent precedent: Although I never discussed the matter with those who know, I can't imagine that the Oxygen network was the first place "I've Got A Secret" was shopped. Those with the history can probably site similar examples from the golden era. [/quote]
 Pyramid was supposed to premiere in fall 2001, but Sony decided to hold off another year. Anyone know why?

I've also seen many older magazines that had trade ads for upcoming game shows, which were held off for a couple of years (there was hope for a syndie High Rollers in 1984).
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Jay Temple

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 02:30:58 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 24 2004, 02:07 AM\'] Pyramid was supposed to premiere in fall 2001, but Sony decided to hold off another year. Anyone know why? [/quote]
 They didn't feel that they'd screwed it up badly enough yet.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

jrjgames

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 03:06:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Jul 24 2004, 01:30 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 24 2004, 02:07 AM\'] Pyramid was supposed to premiere in fall 2001, but Sony decided to hold off another year. Anyone know why? [/quote]
They didn't feel that they'd screwed it up badly enough yet. [/quote]
 ROFL THATS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

uncamark

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 05:32:48 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jul 23 2004, 11:23 PM\']Another recent precedent: Although I never discussed the matter with those who know, I can't imagine that the Oxygen network was the first place "I've Got A Secret" was shopped. Those with the history can probably site similar examples from the golden era.[/quote]
Back in 1991, I had seen in a trade that Carsey-Werner had obtained the rights to "IGAS" for potential positioning with Bill Cosby's "You Bet Your Life" as a daily comedy game block.  Since Cos' "YBYL" bombed out, the idea was put on the back burner--but since Carsey-Werner owns a piece of Oxygen, I still think that they had continued to hold the rights and offered the show to the channel as something to produce for it (without its name on the credits), since most of the other original programming was coming from the New York people.

CaseyAbell

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 06:32:26 PM »
Hope Randy is right that the MG revival will get at least a short order. But if Studio 7 continues to crash and burn, it might scare off all the broadcasters from game shows. The Millionaire-killed-ABC mythology is still strong. ABC hasn't even committed to a third series of Super Millionaire, despite numbers that were downright impressive by ABC standards.

FeudDude

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 08:25:09 PM »
If Fox turned down "What The Blank," would Fremantle pitch it to other networks?

tvrandywest

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2004, 11:23:11 PM »
[quote name=\'FeudDude\' date=\'Jul 25 2004, 04:25 PM\'] If Fox turned down "What The Blank," would Fremantle pitch it to other networks? [/quote]
 Last I heard "a well placed source" said that was the plan.

Be patient and maybe I can show a copy of the pilot at GSC 132!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

tvwxman

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2004, 09:56:32 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jul 25 2004, 10:23 PM\'] [quote name=\'FeudDude\' date=\'Jul 25 2004, 04:25 PM\'] If Fox turned down "What The Blank," would Fremantle pitch it to other networks? [/quote]
Last I heard "a well placed source" said that was the plan.

Be patient and maybe I can show a copy of the pilot at GSC 132!

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
 Hey Randy...

Any chance you could share what the rule changes were? I'd be curious to know just how far of a derivative this show is from MG...and for that matter, why they shouldn't just call it MG...

Matt
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

aaron sica

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2004, 11:42:14 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 24 2004, 03:07 AM\'] I've also seen many older magazines that had trade ads for upcoming game shows, which were held off for a couple of years (there was hope for a syndie High Rollers in 1984). [/quote]
 I remember seeing a trade publication in early 1986 for a new version of MG that was scheduled to premiere in September 1987....

Don Howard

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2004, 11:45:37 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jul 27 2004, 10:42 AM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 24 2004, 03:07 AM\'] I've also seen many older magazines that had trade ads for upcoming game shows, which were held off for a couple of years (there was hope for a syndie High Rollers in 1984). [/quote]
I remember seeing a trade publication in early 1986 for a new version of MG that was scheduled to premiere in September 1987.... [/quote]
Yes, indeed, and Gene Rayburn was to host it. That is, until Entertainment Tonight announced on Gene's birthday how old he was (close to 70 at the time, I think) Then, the stations that were to potentially carry the revival dropped their interest as if Gene's age gave the show leprosy.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 11:46:18 AM by Don Howard »

tvrandywest

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2004, 11:57:40 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jul 27 2004, 05:56 AM\'] Any chance you could share what the rule changes were? I'd be curious to know just how far of a derivative this show is from MG...and for that matter, why they shouldn't just call it MG... [/quote]
I'm in San Diego, so I'll type harder! And faster, as I actually have work to do.

Matt, I'm happy to report that after a period of development (that probably included lots of twists on the format) Jeff Mirkin and Mandel Ilagen brought the same basic, successful game format that we know and love into the new milenium.

There are some great twists on how the "questions" are presented (not simply read by the host), the set is awesome - not traditional game show, and the there is a real feel of a party created by the lively interplay of the celebs. As I have ethical standards to respect and legal agreements to adhere to as far as disclosing information, I can't get any more specific.

While there are other things going on that add to the entertainment value of the show, the basic game format isn't changed simply for the sake of change. The proven formula works and remains: six celebs, two rounds, winner picks 3 celebs for help with the audience match, three decreasing cash values available for 1st, 2nd and 3rd most popular response. And a final head-to-head with the the celeb of the contestant's choice to multiply the audience match winnings up to as much as $25,000.

I'm hopeful we'll all get to share in the fun of "What The Blank" soon. I think in a different time this pilot would have turned into a series order as fast as it takes to dial the Freemantle offices of "Shows-R-Us".

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 12:23:15 PM by tvrandywest »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2004, 12:41:19 PM »
There are some great twists on how the "questions" are presented (not simply read by the host)
Don't tell us -- video clips in which the questions are presented as hidden camera, person-on-the-street situations!

tvrandywest

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2004, 01:11:19 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 27 2004, 08:41 AM\']
There are some great twists on how the "questions" are presented (not simply read by the host)
Don't tell us -- video clips in which the questions are presented as hidden camera, person-on-the-street situations! [/quote]
 Oh, don't remind me of CS2000! Nothing like that here.

But I must say that the "Clip Chips" were delicious with "Salsa of the Century"   ;-p

Randy
tvrandywest.com