Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Are the days...  (Read 2752 times)

gamed121683

Are the days...
« on: July 27, 2004, 01:27:37 PM »
I was listening to NPR today and heard about "a new U.S. Senate bill, the so-called "Induce Act," that would outlaw devices such as iPod portable music players and other technologies that critics say "intentionally induce" copyright infringement." If this bill by any chance passes, could this also mean the end of tape trading or heck taping game shows off TV?

Skynet74

Are the days...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 01:52:51 PM »
No Way. It would not change the landscape of tape trading one bit. Most of it is underground to begin with. There is no way to stop it. I realize that Napster was a different story. There was a centralized server which made illegal copies available. Therefore it was able to be shut down. However then look at what happened. 100 New File sharing services took it's place. You just can't stop technology. No matter what is done there are always going to be people who figure out a way around it. Those people will in turn let the rest of us know.  It's a rat race that the enforcers will never win.

As far as private tape trades, Game show Videos etc.... These are totally impossible to stop. How is the post office going to monitor every single package that travels through it's facilities? #1 There isn't that much man power in the world. #2. Due to privacy laws they just can't do it.

If some guy in Boise wants to connect two VCR's with a Radio Shack Cable and dub off copies..... How is anyone going to stop that?

John
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 01:56:36 PM by Skynet74 »

inturnaround

Are the days...
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 01:57:16 PM »
Game show producers really haven't been very big on cracking down on casual trading among fans. I don't ever remember hearing about someone busted for it and I doubt they'd start.

The Induce Act is a horrible idea, it just won't have any effect on game show trades.

Still the future of game show trading will eventually move online regardless of the Induce Act or any other law. As BitTorrent becomes more and more popular, high speed broadband more accessible and DVD burners and DVD media become cheaper, I'm almost certain that those with large collections will "go digital".
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 01:58:01 PM by inturnaround »
Joe Coughlin     
Human

tvmitch

Are the days...
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 02:07:16 PM »
No chance that law would pass. Can you even imagine the outcry from everyone from business to Joe (or Mitch) iPod user?
You should follow me on Twitter

Steve Gavazzi

Are the days...
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 03:57:34 PM »
Quite simply, no.

Winkfan

Are the days...
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 06:20:26 PM »
I may be wrong, but the only thing that would put a stop to tape trades is if it were done for profit (translation: MONEY). That's why a lot of us veteran tape traders are cautious to state on their collections sites that we do not accept money for tapes. After all, some of what we've managed to acquire via tape trades (especially non-GSN game shows from before 1990 that we'd thought we'd NEVER see again) are worth more than money. The only way money comes into this matter is in the purchasing of blank tapes and then paying for the mailing the finished product.

If I'm not making any sense on this matter.....

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Patti Deutsch of the Big Board!'
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024)

aaron sica

Are the days...
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 09:50:07 PM »
I wouldn't think the days of tape trades are numbered...

Just don't trade any Wheel of Fortune episodes. Then the days of tape trades will be LETTERED.

OK, I'm going to walk myself to the TTD90 room now...

adamjk

Are the days...
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 09:54:58 PM »
I can do even better, they wouldn't be just lettered, they'd be red lettered.

(Follows Aaron to TTD90 room)

GS Warehouse

Are the days...
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 10:46:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Jul 27 2004, 06:20 PM\'] If I'm not making any sense on this matter..... [/quote]
 If you're making cents, that still counts as profit, doesn't it?

Is there room for three at the Rappin' Dragon concert?

adamjk

Are the days...
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2004, 10:55:44 PM »
Likely not, cause you know what they say, "Three's a Crowd!"

(shields himself from tomatoes as he retreats to the safety of the TTD90 Room)

BrandonFG

Are the days...
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 02:51:20 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Jul 27 2004, 08:50 PM\'] I wouldn't think the days of tape trades are numbered...

Just don't trade any Wheel of Fortune episodes. Then the days of tape trades will be LETTERED.

OK, I'm going to walk myself to the TTD90 room now... [/quote]
 Hmmm...seems like trading any Merv Griffin game shows could put you in jeopardy.

(goes to TTD90 room...and if this starts a bunch of bad game show puns, then just lock me in there until I've seen each episode twice)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Craig Karlberg

Are the days...
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2004, 04:02:18 AM »
Let me stop this retreat to the TTD90 room temporarily here:

I don't think this "Induce Act" will have any direct effect on tape trading one iota.  Besides, that act's strictly designed for iPod users primarily.  Even so, I don't see that bill making it out of committe for that matter.  In fact, I think tape trading might ACTUALLY grow because of this.

gamed121683

Are the days...
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2004, 07:49:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jul 28 2004, 03:02 AM\'] Let me stop this retreat to the TTD90 room temporarily here:

I don't think this "Induce Act" will have any direct effect on tape trading one iota. Besides, that act's strictly designed for iPod users primarily. [/quote]
 Not necessarily. While doing some more research, I ended up finding this piece of information from a site called Wikipedia.

"The Act would amend title 17 of the United States Code which is related to copyrights, by adding a subsection to the end of section 501. The subsection would state the following.

Whoever intentionally induces any violation identified in subsection (a) of this section shall be liable as an infringer.

The Act goes on to define what "intentionally induces" means.

Critics of the bill say it is overly broad and could lead to prosecution of peer to peer software makers, web sites or even to overturning home recording rights pioneered by the famous Betamax case."

That's right HOME RECORDING RIGHTS! So, as Nipsey Russell used to say it, is our number up?

Jimmy Owen

Are the days...
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2004, 08:13:51 AM »
Is Wilkipedia copyrighted?  Maybe it would have been better to provide a link to the article. :/
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Are the days...
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2004, 11:37:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jul 28 2004, 05:13 AM\'] Is Wilkipedia copyrighted?  Maybe it would have been better to provide a link to the article. :/ [/quote]
 Not only is it not copyrighted, it's a wiki, which means it's written by the users. Virtually anyone can post an entry. Which means it's about an order of magnitude LESS reliable as a source than the IMDB.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe