Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Time Capsule: 1984  (Read 1390 times)

Don Howard

Time Capsule: 1984
« on: July 28, 2004, 10:30:03 AM »
I crave a boon, my game show brethren. On Stosh Beverly's site in his Retrovision section, he or a member of his team of correspondents says that six five-a-week syndicated games were cancelled twenty years ago. I can't think of any that got canned at the end of the 1983-84 season. Hot Potato, The Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour, Tattletales and Dream House come to mind, but those were on a network and not syndication. Maybe I'm in the early stages of senility, but does anyone know what six shows those are?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 10:31:30 AM by Don Howard »

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 10:32:22 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jul 28 2004, 09:30 AM\'] I crave a boon, my game show brethren. On Stosh Beverly's site in his Retrovision section, he or a member of his team of correspondents, says that six five-a-week syndicated games have been cancelled. I can't think of any that got canned at the end of the 1983-84 season. Maybe I'm in the early stages of senility, but does anyone know what six shows those are? [/quote]
 If Stosh considers the little-seen This is your Life revival with Joe Campanella from that season, there's one. OUtside of that, I can't think of any five-a-week syndie shows axed at the end of that season. Starcade ended after that season, but it was a weekly in most markets.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 12:02:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jul 28 2004, 09:30 AM\'] I crave a boon, my game show brethren. On Stosh Beverly's site in his Retrovision section, he or a member of his team of correspondents says that six five-a-week syndicated games were cancelled twenty years ago. I can't think of any that got canned at the end of the 1983-84 season. Hot Potato, The Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour, Tattletales and Dream House come to mind, but those were on a network and not syndication. Maybe I'm in the early stages of senility, but does anyone know what six shows those are? [/quote]
 Were there even six syndicated daily game shows to begin with in spring or summer 1984? All I got was Wheel, TTD, TJW, and Feud. Of course, none of those four were cancelled.

In the fall, there was Anything For Money, Every Second Counts, J!, and LMAD.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 12:13:04 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 28 2004, 11:02 AM\']
Were there even six syndicated daily game shows to begin with in spring or summer 1984? All I got was Wheel, TTD, TJW, and Feud. Of course, none of those four were cancelled.

In the fall, there was Anything For Money, Every Second Counts, J!, and LMAD. [/quote]
 Add to Lange NTT and the little-seen quasi-game show Guilty or Innocent to the Fall 1984 syndie debuts.

rigsby

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 12:27:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jul 28 2004, 09:30 AM\'] On Stosh Beverly's site in his Retrovision section, he or a member of his team of correspondents says that six five-a-week syndicated games were cancelled twenty years ago. [/quote]
 Apparently he updated very quickly, 'cos it's not there now.  The twenty years ago entry is now "ABC opts not to pick up The New Newlywed Game for a new daytime run but Chuck Barris Productions has the show ready for a revival in fall 1985."

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 01:37:19 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jul 28 2004, 11:13 AM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jul 28 2004, 11:02 AM\']

In the fall, there was Anything For Money, Every Second Counts, J!, and LMAD. [/quote]
Add to Lange NTT and the little-seen quasi-game show Guilty or Innocent to the Fall 1984 syndie debuts. [/quote]
 Hmmm...perhaps he meant to say six game shows are prepared for a fall 1984 launch? It's all moot, since rigsby mentioned that Stosh changed the entry.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!