Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Politics  (Read 1156 times)

byrd62

Game Show Politics
« on: July 27, 2004, 06:00:35 PM »
If you watch C-SPAN's uninterrupted, analysis-free coverage of the Democratic National Convention, you'll hear a female announcer's voice during many of the introductions.

I swear she sounds like second-season Lingo announcer and Hooked on Phonics spokeswoman Randy Thomas.

uncamark

Game Show Politics
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 06:17:42 PM »
[quote name=\'byrd62\' date=\'Jul 27 2004, 05:00 PM\']If you watch C-SPAN's uninterrupted, analysis-free coverage of the Democratic National Convention, you'll hear a female announcer's voice during many of the introductions.

I swear she sounds like second-season Lingo announcer and Hooked on Phonics spokeswoman Randy Thomas.[/quote]
It probably isn't--C-SPAN's a decidely non-union shop and I believe Randy's a member in good standing of AFTRA.

For the most part, I believe that channel employees do the voice-overs (and during live coverage like conventions, do virtually the only live booth announcing work left in American television).

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Show Politics
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 06:46:51 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jul 27 2004, 03:17 PM\'] It probably isn't--C-SPAN's a decidely non-union shop and I believe Randy's a member in good standing of AFTRA.

For the most part, I believe that channel employees do the voice-overs (and during live coverage like conventions, do virtually the only live booth announcing work left in American television). [/quote]
 Could it be that the woman in question isn't working for the network, but is the public address announcer for the convention?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Game Show Politics
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 07:39:43 PM »
I just heard the VO in question, and it does sound like Randy Thomas.....however, my guess is that she is, indeed, the convention PA announcer.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

byrd62

Game Show Politics
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 07:19:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' date=\'Jul 27 2004, 06:39 PM\']I just heard the VO in question, and it does sound like Randy Thomas.....however, my guess is that she is, indeed, the convention PA announcer.[/quote]
Yes, you would be right...she's the PA announcer.  Which means that the Convention, unlike CSPAN [non-profit, commercial-free], is a union shop.

DrBear

Game Show Politics
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 07:25:53 AM »
It's the Democrats...of COURSE it's going to be a union shop
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.