Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid WC query  (Read 6806 times)

Clay Zambo

Pyramid WC query
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2004, 10:29:22 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jun 9 2004, 12:13 PM\'] If I'm the judge, I don't accept "Lewis and Clark's Wagons" but I do accept "A Mel Brooks Musical".  And I think most people would consider that inconsistant. [/quote]
 Here's where I take offense: there is only one Mel Brooks musical.  "'A' Mel Brooks Musical" implies that there's more than one.  Which, thus far, there has not been.  As for whether L&C had multiple wagons, or if they were painted by Clint Eastwood, I defer to a qualified historian.

Besides, Matt, even if your judging is inconsistant, we'll let you get away with it on your birthday.

Many happy (and musical) returns!
czambo@mac.com

inturnaround

Pyramid WC query
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2004, 11:43:07 AM »
The WC is really the ultimate American game, isn't it? It takes 60 seconds to complete, but the arguments about it truly last a lifetime.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Craig Karlberg

Pyramid WC query
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2004, 05:45:50 AM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 10:43 AM\'] The WC is really the ultimate American game, isn't it? It takes 60 seconds to complete, but the arguments about it truly last a lifetime. [/quote]
Ahh, just like Othello.  It takes a minute to learn but a lifetime to master.

SplitSecond

Pyramid WC query
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2004, 09:57:16 AM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 08:43 AM\'] It takes 60 seconds to complete, but the arguments about it truly last a lifetime. [/quote]
 Anything with that many parallels to sex is truly American.

sshuffield70

Pyramid WC query
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2004, 06:22:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jun 16 2004, 04:45 AM\'] [quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 10:43 AM\'] The WC is really the ultimate American game, isn't it? It takes 60 seconds to complete, but the arguments about it truly last a lifetime. [/quote]
Ahh, just like Othello.  It takes a minute to learn but a lifetime to master. [/quote]
 Thought that was Texas Hold 'Em?

uncamark

Pyramid WC query
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2004, 06:40:07 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Jun 16 2004, 05:22 PM\'][quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jun 16 2004, 04:45 AM\'] [quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jun 15 2004, 10:43 AM\'] The WC is really the ultimate American game, isn't it? It takes 60 seconds to complete, but the arguments about it truly last a lifetime. [/quote]
Ahh, just like Othello.  It takes a minute to learn but a lifetime to master. [/quote]
Thought that was Texas Hold 'Em?[/quote]
No, Texas Hold 'em's a simple game, really--or so says either Kevin Pollak or Dave Foley--in a film by Howard Hawks.

(I'm waiting for him to intro the rules package as being made by Ed Wood.)

Jay Temple

Pyramid WC query
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2004, 06:53:47 PM »
On one of the last $100KP's that GSN showed, Dick Cavett siad he had an impossible category for Dick Clark.  When Cavett revealed it (on a cue card), Clark couldn't come up with a clue.  The category:  THINGS YOU DO.  My first clue would have gotten me buzzed in an instant:  the Dew.  (Eventually, I came up with the Loco-Motion and your homework.)

In a similar vein, if the category were THINGS THAT BEGIN or THINGS YOU BEGIN, do you think they'd accept "the Beguine"?  I thought of that while I was listening to the soundtrack of De-Lovely, a biopic of Cole Porter.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Pyramid WC query
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2004, 07:21:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Aug 1 2004, 03:53 PM\'] In a similar vein, if the category were THINGS THAT BEGIN or THINGS YOU BEGIN, do you think they'd accept "the Beguine"?  I thought of that while I was listening to the soundtrack of De-Lovely, a biopic of Cole Porter. [/quote]
I think I'd make damn sure to enunciate the "u" in "Beguine", so they didn't think you were saying "begin", but otherwise I can't think of a reason it wouldn't be a legal clue, since it's not a direct homonym, as "dew" and "do" are.

EDIT: Out of interest, I checked the proper pronunciation on Dictionary.com. What differs the two words is not the "u", it is in fact the final syllable; "Beguine" is listed as being pronounced "be-GEEN". (M-W.com lists the emphasis as being on either syllable.)

Either way, both indicate the long "e" should be used in the second syllable, so as long as you did that the clue should fly easily.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 07:28:52 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve McClellan

Pyramid WC query
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2004, 08:01:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Aug 1 2004, 03:53 PM\'] Dick Cavett siad he had an impossible category for Dick Clark.  When Cavett revealed it (on a cue card), Clark couldn't come up with a clue.  The category:  THINGS YOU DO. [/quote]
 Ah, this takes me back to the bad old days ... when I was still living with my parents. I recall seeing this and running out to the kitchen to give my mother the clue, "the hokey-pokey." She got it immediately. Nice try, Mr. Cavett.

What made it that much more fun was the fact that Clark was obsessing for quite a while over the sheer impossibility of it. :)