Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Joker's Wild Special Categories  (Read 5648 times)

trivia202003

Joker's Wild Special Categories
« on: August 01, 2004, 08:03:50 PM »
Does anyone know of the special categores on "The Joker's Wild"

(ex. Fast Forward)

Don Howard

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 09:02:52 PM »
[quote name=\'trivia202003\' date=\'Aug 1 2004, 07:03 PM\'] Does anyone know of the special categories on "The Joker's Wild"

(ex. Fast Forward) [/quote]
The Mystery category (if you took that and were correct, you got double the bucks)
Stumpers (questions missed by both players on a previous show)
Definitions (whoops! sorry; bad early 90s flashback)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 09:03:51 PM by Don Howard »

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 09:48:20 PM »
Picture Pix (was just fast foward with pictures thrown in)

weaklink75

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 09:59:33 PM »
Bid (they bid on how many questions in a category they could answer in a row, the minimum bid was 2)

ChuckNet

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 12:23:30 AM »

And like the Mystery Category, questions there were worth double value.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 01:08:08 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Aug 1 2004, 09:23 PM\']

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 Wasn't there some kind of angle where you could ask Jack/Jim/Bill to give you the wrong answers that were given, but at that point the question was only worth the normal value, or some such? Or am I high on crack?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 01:10:27 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 2 2004, 12:08 AM\'] [quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Aug 1 2004, 09:23 PM\']

Wasn't there some kind of angle where you could ask Jack/Jim/Bill to give you the wrong answers that were given, but at that point the question was only worth the normal value, or some such? Or am I high on crack? [/quote]
I think answering with no help added $100 to the regular value of the category but if the emcee supplied the two wrong answers given when the question was initially posed, it was worth regular board value. Or I could have spent too much time at the crack pipe myself.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 01:11:38 AM by Don Howard »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 01:20:51 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 2 2004, 12:08 AM\'] [quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Aug 1 2004, 09:23 PM\']

Wasn't there some kind of angle where you could ask Jack/Jim/Bill to give you the wrong answers that were given, but at that point the question was only worth the normal value, or some such? Or am I high on crack? [/quote]
 I seem to recall that the category value doubled; but; as you stated; was cut in half if you got the wrong answers.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Steve McClellan

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 04:10:04 AM »
I don't know any other details, but I remember one question, where Bill C. gave the contestants one city (Oil City) and asked the contestants how many other cities they'd need to hear to identify the state they're all in. Lowest bid got the question. I believe a miss would've resulted in the other contestant hearing the entire list.

(I'm a little fuzzy on those details; I was doubled over in laughter for the duration of the question, seeing how I grew up in Oil City. :) Bill said he knew it off of Oil City, as well. I'm sure that's enough info for some of you to figure it out, if you so desire.)

TonicBH

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 06:36:16 AM »
I have a Cullen-era ep with a "How Low can you go?" category. What Bill would do would give one answer by default, and each contestant would bid back and forth how many additional answers they would need to answer the question. For example: Let's say a contestant thinks they could know it in three answers and got "Granny Smith, Johnathan, Golden Delicious". (Obviously, they're all kinds of apples.)

Not sure if it was around during the Barry era, or even if it was used more than once... was a unique category, for sure.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

trivia202003

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2004, 11:18:59 AM »
How about these other special categories.

Face Off
Just One More
Contract
Choose Your Clues
Fact or Foto

Does anyone know the rules for these 5 categories?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 03:31:16 PM »
[quote name=\'trivia202003\' date=\'Aug 2 2004, 10:18 AM\'] Fact or Foto

[/quote]
 My memory tells me that the contestant was either offered a factoid, or a picture relating to a person or thing, and the contestant had to correctly answer based on that.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

uncamark

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2004, 03:41:08 PM »
Stumpers:  Originally, it was $100 extra with no options and you didn't hear the wrong answers.  During Bill Cullen's term, the option of hearing the wrong answers for the amount on the board was offered.

And the low-bid category was called How Low Can You Go?

And no red boxes, which kept Jim Caldwell from ever doing "TJW."

ChuckNet

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2004, 01:01:45 AM »
There was also Grab Bag, where all questions were multiple choice (a la the tail end of the CBS run and part of the 1st syndie season).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Ian Wallis

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2004, 09:24:36 AM »
The Mystery category (if you took that and were correct, you got double the bucks)

Some of those special categories weren't on every wheel either.  For example, when the syndie "Joker" premiered in '77, whenever Mystery came up there was a slide on every wheel.  Shortly thereafter, whenever Jack was doing the final spin senario, he always said something to the effect of "...or you'll need the Mystery category and two Jokers..."

That seemed to indicate they only put in on one wheel.  If you watch those particular episodes closely enough, you'll notice it does only pop up in one window.  I wonder if they thought having a contestant have to pick Mystery for $400 (if they got a natural triple) was too much of a disadvantage.  I don't know if this was the same for the other special categories or not.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 09:25:33 AM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!