Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Joker's Wild Special Categories  (Read 5649 times)

WorldClassRob

Joker's Wild Special Categories
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2004, 07:16:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Aug 2 2004, 12:10 AM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 2 2004, 12:08 AM\'] [quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Aug 1 2004, 09:23 PM\']
Stumpers (questions missed by both players on a previous show)

And like the Mystery Category, questions there were worth double value.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
Wasn't there some kind of angle where you could ask Jack/Jim/Bill to give you the wrong answers that were given, but at that point the question was only worth the normal value, or some such? Or am I high on crack? [/quote]
I think answering with no help added $100 to the regular value of the category but if the emcee supplied the two wrong answers given when the question was initially posed, it was worth regular board value. Or I could have spent too much time at the crack pipe myself. [/quote]
 Stumpers came out during Jack's final season on TJW.  If the category was chosen, the player can answer a question for $150, $200 or $300 on that category, depending on the spin of the wheels.  The rule of this category I believed changed during the Bill Cullen era.

Other special categories played over the years:

Mystery(?) -- If selected, a player can answer a question for double the value ($100, $200 or $400, depending on the spin).  Players have to listen to that rule carefully because one contestant took Mystery for $200, and Jack said "well, you can actually take it for $400," and the judge ruled that the first choice for $200 has to be taken.  Jack obviously was not very happy about that incident (after all, its his show), and I think the player was invited back because he lost the game.

Bid -- played like the Bullseye Contract, players bid on how many questions he/she can answer, with the minimum of two questions.  Can be used for catching up if behind.

Fast Foward -- Among the first special categories used, players can answer as many questions as he/she wishes; another good catch-up category to use.

Fact or Foto -- A question is asked and the player decide whether to answer the question with a fact, or be shown a photograph.  I think there is a bonus involved with this category.

Multiple Choice -- Potluck questions with three possible answers, and the contestants chooses which one he/she thinks is the correct answer.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2004, 08:10:24 PM »
No one's actually explained Fast Forward in full yet:

A question is asked as usual. However, if a correct answer is given, the contestant may elect to end his or her turn, or risk the money earned so far during the turn by hearing (and having to answer) another question. Repeat until the contestant stops, gets a wrong answer, or is beaten about the head and shoulders by Jack Barry for not stopping after having earned enough to win the match.

I want to say that, in the event of a wrong answer, the opponent would be given an opportunity to answer, but not to hear any additional questions. But I'm not 100% confident in my memory on that point.

I've probably related this story before, but I would still kill just to see a clip of the contestant who needed at least $300 on his turn to stay in the game. Jack: "You need three Jokers, or the Fast Forward category, OR you can take any Jokers off the board for Fast Forward. Remember, if you don't get three Jokers, you HAVE to play Fast Forward to stay in the game." Contestant spins, gets something like World Leaders, Joker, Joker.

"I'll take World Leaders for $200, Jack."

Oh, he was so pleased with himself. Until Jack, as gently as Jack could, explained to him that he'd basically just forfeited the game. "I'm sorry, but now that you've said it, we have to accept it . . ."
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Don Howard

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2004, 08:19:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Aug 7 2004, 07:10 PM\'] I want to say that, in the event of a wrong answer, the opponent would be given an opportunity to answer, but not to hear any additional questions. [/quote]
 That is correct. Otherwise, the two could end up playing that Fast Forward category back and forth for the entire game. Plus, the contestant the question was passed over to would get only the value of that one question if correct. It was with this category that future Barry & Enright Productions employee Byron Wilson won his 5th game. It was by answering ten $50 Fast Forward questions.

irismason42

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2004, 10:21:35 PM »
I still have the episode where Linda Parker also did the same thing that is answering 10 $50 Fast Forward questions on tape.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2004, 10:30:34 PM »
Well, bully for you, Iris.  Apparently, it's happened more than a few times, I recall someone ELSE winning a car with FF Science.  I was shocked that someone would go for the win on the first spin.

Back to an earlier question, why would Mystery Category for $400 be a disadvantage to the player who spun it?  It's the most you could possibly get on one spin.  Unless you're thinking about what happens when he misses...
Travis L. Eberle

Don Howard

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2004, 10:36:13 PM »
[quote name=\'irismason42\' date=\'Aug 7 2004, 09:21 PM\'] I still have the episode where Linda Parker also did the same thing that is answering 10 $50 Fast Forward questions on tape. [/quote]
 I wonder. How was the research staff able to come up with 10 questions about tape?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2004, 11:32:39 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Aug 7 2004, 07:30 PM\'] Back to an earlier question, why would Mystery Category for $400 be a disadvantage to the player who spun it?  It's the most you could possibly get on one spin.  Unless you're thinking about what happens when he misses... [/quote]
 That's absolutely what they're thinking of. Think of the number of times you've seen a player take a category for $50 when they could have had it for $100 or $200 because they only needed the $50 and flubbing it wouldn't give the opponent enough to win.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvmitch

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2004, 11:14:39 AM »
For the Stumpers category (not Mystery), contestants could choose to answer the question for *double the amount spun* (a triple spin would be worth $400) or for the regular amount, Jack or Bill or Jim would read the answers given by both contestants on the previous show.

I just watched it, so unless I'm on crack, I think this is right.
You should follow me on Twitter

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2004, 12:20:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Aug 7 2004, 09:36 PM\'] [quote name=\'irismason42\' date=\'Aug 7 2004, 09:21 PM\'] I still have the episode where Linda Parker also did the same thing that is answering 10 $50 Fast Forward questions on tape. [/quote]
I wonder. How was the research staff able to come up with 10 questions about tape? [/quote]
 Host: This kind of tape has a duck on the package.
Contestant: Duct tape
Host: Correct, $50!
Host: This kind of tape says "Scotch" on the label.
Contestant: Scotch tape
Host: Correct, $100....
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2004, 01:49:05 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' date=\'Aug 8 2004, 08:14 AM\'] For the Stumpers category (not Mystery), contestants could choose to answer the question for *double the amount spun* (a triple spin would be worth $400) or for the regular amount, Jack or Bill or Jim would read the answers given by both contestants on the previous show.

I just watched it, so unless I'm on crack, I think this is right. [/quote]
 I'll back you up on that, Mitch, I'm pretty sure this is exactly how it played out. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jay Temple

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2004, 01:41:35 AM »
There must have been a rule change on Stumpers.  I clearly remember seeing it taken for $150.

I remember one other special category, Take a Chance.  The questions were multiple choice, and you could either answer the question yourself or force your opponent to answer it.  If the person who answered was wrong, the other player automatically got the money as if answering it correctly.

I also remember this happening with Fast Forward:  The challenger reached $500 on her own question, and the champion had less than $300.  He did not get three jokers, but he got at least one.  Jack said it was all over as soon as the first non-Joker came up, even though the champion could have gone off the board to take Fast Forward and possibly won.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Don Howard

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2004, 01:33:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Aug 9 2004, 12:41 AM\'] I also remember this happening with Fast Forward:  The challenger reached $500 on her own question, and the champion had less than $300.  He did not get three jokers, but he got at least one.  Jack said it was all over as soon as the first non-Joker came up, even though the champion could have gone off the board to take Fast Forward and possibly won. [/quote]
 Then Jack made a major boo-boo or a rule change was made because I remember twice during the first season when the champ could only get Fast Forward to stay in the game (or three jokers, of course) and Jack told him so before the spin.

ChuckNet

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2004, 11:29:03 PM »
My memory tells me that the contestant was either offered a factoid, or a picture relating to a person or thing, and the contestant had to correctly answer based on that.

And if a player gave an incorrect answer, the opponent would get both the fact AND the photo on his/her free guess.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ChuckNet

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2004, 11:30:09 PM »
I wonder. How was the research staff able to come up with 10 questions about tape?

LOL...but don't complain too much, at least the comment was mainly coherent this time. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2004, 11:46:27 PM »
Thinking about this, it's not really surprising that anyone could rip off 10 correcxt answers on ANY topic, considering the typical difficulty level of the questions.

On that note, I am downright shocked that there was ever one question that both players managed to miss.

"We'll give you three different clues to the correct answer, and if you listen closely, the answer might actually be in the question.  For $50..."
Travis L. Eberle