Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud  (Read 5673 times)

jmeyer43

Family Feud
« on: August 05, 2004, 01:35:08 PM »
I'm not sure why I haven't noticed this before, but I noticed sort of an oddity in the rules...

When a team gets 3 strikes and the other team steals, in the Karn version, they're trying to do exactly that, steal the points in the pot.  And if they succeed, it doesn't matter how many points the additional response is worth, because all they're doing is stealing the other team's pot.  But in the Mexican version, "100 Mexicanos Dijeron" (a Freemantle show, according to the credits), the stealing team also gets the additional points from the stealing response.  I noticed that just the other day when Marco pointed out that those additional points would be enough to put their total over 300 for the win (there was only 1 response left unrevealed, and it was the #1).  Has the US version always had this rule, or did the Mexican version get their rules fom an older US version?

Other than that one oddity, I have to say the Mexican version is MUCH better, even though I don't understand half of it because my Spanish is still so weak.  Regil is a better host than Karn, Anderson, or Dawson (yeah, I know, ANYONE could be better than Anderson).  I like that they remind the contestants that 100 people were surveyed, etc. like Dawson used to do.  Karn only does it when it's something other than "100 people" (such as "100 women").  I like the bonuses for #1 responses in fast money.  I like the board in that it doesn't try to mimic the old style, and gives room for multi-word responses.  The lollipops are a cool spin.  I also like the questions and old clips going to commercials.  The old set actually looked Mexican, which makes it cooler than the current one, IMO.

adamjk

Family Feud
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 01:49:47 PM »
The US version used the steal rule that the Mexican version has, from 1992, when Combs Feud started using the Bullseye round, up to 2003. Incidentally, when Combs Feud began using the Bullseye round, that was also when the main game was no longer played for cash, but rather for points.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 02:02:52 PM by adamjk »

Particleman

Family Feud
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 01:56:30 PM »
Didn't the "steal bank points plus stolen answer's points" rule last until the rule change at the beginning of this season on 9/15/04?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 01:57:34 PM by Particleman »

adamjk

Family Feud
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 02:02:40 PM »
Umm no, because September 2004 isn't here yet. lol It did go till 2003. You're right there.

Card Shark

Family Feud
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 02:25:51 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 01:49 PM\'] The US version used the steal rule that the Mexican version has, from 1992, when Combs Feud started using the Bullseye round, up to 2003. Incidentally, when Combs Feud began using the Bullseye round, that was also when the main game was no longer played for cash, but rather for points. [/quote]
 An interestingly enough, this system was in place on the original 1976 pilot with Richard Dawson. Some minor differences from the pilot besides that and the set were that only the team captain came up for the face-offs and that all the rounds were single value. I guess they realized that unless they doubled (and eventually tripled) points, it could take forever for a team to reach 200 points.
Adam Strom

adamjk

Family Feud
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 02:36:56 PM »
which system was in place in the pilot? The points system, or the steal adds points to the bank system? It wouldn't take forever for a team to reach 200 points using the single round only. It would take 4, maybe 5 questions.

Card Shark

Family Feud
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 02:46:47 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 02:36 PM\'] which system was in place in the pilot? The points system, or the steal adds points to the bank system? It wouldn't take forever for a team to reach 200 points using the single round only. It would take 4, maybe 5 questions. [/quote]
The system for the 1976 pilot added the revealed answer during the steal to the bank to the team that stole. Clearly you haven't seen the pilot. I have. Maybe it was just me, but it just seemed like they had several rounds before anyone reached the 200 point goal. I'll have to go back and see how many rounds it was..... After viewing it, they played a total of five rounds. But, I guess the potential always existed to play at least 6 and that's a lot for a half hour show, especially with Richard's shmoozing with everyone in the early years.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 03:00:01 PM by Card Shark »
Adam Strom

adamjk

Family Feud
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 03:14:35 PM »
I have seen clips of it, but it has been a while.

jmeyer43

Family Feud
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 05:35:45 PM »
One more question I forgot in my original post...

If there's a tie in the faceoff, I thought I remembered that on the Dawson version they would go to the next member of each family for an answer, but the other day the person buzzed in and gave the number 2 answer, the other person gave the number 3 answer but it had the same point value, he went right to the family of the guy who buzzed in.  I'm wondering if the rule is that the player who buzzed in wins such a tie and the computer can flip-flop the answers to make it look right to anyone ignoring the point values (by putting the first given answer in the higher position on the board).

And one oops in my original post, I left Combs out of my list of US FF hosts

uncamark

Family Feud
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 05:40:40 PM »
[quote name=\'jmeyer43\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 04:35 PM\']One more question I forgot in my original post...

If there's a tie in the faceoff, I thought I remembered that on the Dawson version they would go to the next member of each family for an answer, but the other day the person buzzed in and gave the number 2 answer, the other person gave the number 3 answer but it had the same point value, he went right to the family of the guy who buzzed in.  I'm wondering if the rule is that the player who buzzed in wins such a tie and the computer can flip-flop the answers to make it look right to anyone ignoring the point values (by putting the first given answer in the higher position on the board).[/quote]
I'm sure I'll be corrected, but it's always been board position in the event of tie numbers--which goes back to when the answers were on the cards loaded into the trilons.  Whoever's got the higher-positioned answer always wins the face-off.  How they decide which answer gets loaded first, I don't know.

joshg

Family Feud
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2004, 06:14:29 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 01:40 PM\']I'm sure I'll be corrected, but it's always been board position in the event of tie numbers--which goes back to when the answers were on the cards loaded into the trilons.  Whoever's got the higher-positioned answer always wins the face-off.  How they decide which answer gets loaded first, I don't know.[/quote]
I think the answers with the same values were loaded in alphabetical order to determine 'board position'.
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

sshuffield70

Family Feud
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2004, 07:05:04 PM »
Seems to me when I saw that happen, it doesn't matter what the position was.  Ties went to the buzz-in player, even if the listed position was lower than the second.

Steve McClellan

Family Feud
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2004, 07:32:08 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 04:05 PM\'] Ties went to the buzz-in player, even if the listed position was lower than the second. [/quote]
More accurately (albeit only slightly), the first player to give a tied answer gave their family control.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 07:32:21 PM by gameshowsteve »

zachhoran

Family Feud
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2004, 07:50:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 01:46 PM\'] Maybe it was just me, but it just seemed like they had several rounds before anyone reached the 200 point goal. I'll have to go back and see how many rounds it was..... After viewing it, they played a total of five rounds. But, I guess the potential always existed to play at least 6 and that's a lot for a half hour show [/quote]
 It seems to me that Feud was originally meant to straddle, as evidenced on some early episodes when they'd bring out the family at the end of the show who would play on the next episode when time allowed

adamjk

Family Feud
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2004, 08:03:05 PM »
Since you mentioned it Zach, does anyone here think Feud would have been successful as it became with Dawson, as well as in subsequent versions, had it used straddling?