Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud  (Read 5674 times)

Steve Gavazzi

Family Feud
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2004, 11:22:39 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 05:40 PM\'] [quote name=\'jmeyer43\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 04:35 PM\']One more question I forgot in my original post...

If there's a tie in the faceoff, I thought I remembered that on the Dawson version they would go to the next member of each family for an answer, but the other day the person buzzed in and gave the number 2 answer, the other person gave the number 3 answer but it had the same point value, he went right to the family of the guy who buzzed in.  I'm wondering if the rule is that the player who buzzed in wins such a tie and the computer can flip-flop the answers to make it look right to anyone ignoring the point values (by putting the first given answer in the higher position on the board).[/quote]
I'm sure I'll be corrected, but it's always been board position in the event of tie numbers--which goes back to when the answers were on the cards loaded into the trilons.  Whoever's got the higher-positioned answer always wins the face-off.  How they decide which answer gets loaded first, I don't know. [/quote]
 Adding to what others have said, I know I've seen an episode where the second person in a face-off gave the "number one answer" and Richard gave control to the first person's family because her "number two answer" had the same value.

gameshowguy2000

Family Feud
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2004, 12:07:20 AM »
[quote name=\'Particleman\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 12:56 PM\'] Didn't the "steal bank points plus stolen answer's points" rule last until the rule change at the beginning of this season on 9/15/03? [/quote]
It did. And it was a shame to get rid of that rule, because...

What if the team that plays doesn't get the number one answer, but gets some of the others, then strike out, and then the stealing team gets the number one answer, but not the points for it?

It just looks awful. I saw one episode this season, where by the time the playing team struck out, there were 5 lousy points in the bank. The stealing team managed to get an answer up there, but all they got were the 5 lousy points, and were not credited with the points for the answer they stole with.

Now, how are they gonna get to 300 without being credited with the stolen answer's points in any round?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 12:58:12 AM by gameshowguy2000 »

Steve McClellan

Family Feud
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2004, 12:11:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 08:22 PM\'] Adding to what others have said, I know I've seen an episode where the second person in a face-off gave the "number one answer" and Richard gave control to the first person's family because her "number two answer" had the same value. [/quote]
 Now, in that case, shouldn't the host be informed before the question that the top two answers are tied, and that the first contestant should immediately be given credit for a face-off win in the event of coming up with either?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Family Feud
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2004, 05:05:01 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 11:07 PM\'] Now, how are they gonna get to 300 without being credited with the stolen answer's points in any round? [/quote]
 By earning 295 more.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

sshuffield70

Family Feud
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2004, 08:38:42 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 11:11 PM\'] [quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 08:22 PM\'] Adding to what others have said, I know I've seen an episode where the second person in a face-off gave the "number one answer" and Richard gave control to the first person's family because her "number two answer" had the same value. [/quote]
Now, in that case, shouldn't the host be informed before the question that the top two answers are tied, and that the first contestant should immediately be given credit for a face-off win in the event of coming up with either? [/quote]
 Theoretically, yes, but if you saw the "Wheel" special this week, you'd understand why that wouldn't happen.

Particleman

Family Feud
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2004, 08:45:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Aug 6 2004, 04:05 AM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 11:07 PM\'] Now, how are they gonna get to 300 without being credited with the stolen answer's points in any round? [/quote]
By earning 295 more. [/quote]
 Haha!  That's pretty funny.

By now, they have a sudden death round after the triple round to take care of that.  And along the lines with this, I've seen a family earn only three points in a round.

Going back to the face-off discussion, I've seen an ocassion where the two face-off players both recieved strikes and when they turned to the next person in the family's, both recieved strikes as well.  When that fourth person answered the question wrong, Richard just called out to reveal all answers on the board and they brought out the next question.  Is this a common rule (four strikes and the question's out)?

Steve, to answer your question, if #1 and #2 are both the same value, it doesn't really make a difference.  If the first face-off player gets the #2 answer and the second player gets the #1 answer, the first player answered first and would gain control of the question.  If the first face-off player gets the #1 answer, it wouldn't matter if the second player guessed #2 or not; the first player answered it first anyway and gains control. Whoever guesses the tied answers first gets control.  Does that make sense?

adamjk

Family Feud
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2004, 10:35:03 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Aug 6 2004, 07:38 AM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 11:11 PM\'] [quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 08:22 PM\'] Adding to what others have said, I know I've seen an episode where the second person in a face-off gave the "number one answer" and Richard gave control to the first person's family because her "number two answer" had the same value. [/quote]
Now, in that case, shouldn't the host be informed before the question that the top two answers are tied, and that the first contestant should immediately be given credit for a face-off win in the event of coming up with either? [/quote]
Theoretically, yes, but if you saw the "Wheel" special this week, you'd understand why that wouldn't happen. [/quote]
 I didn't see it. Can you explain to me why it wouldn't happen?

uncamark

Family Feud
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2004, 11:30:05 AM »
[quote name=\'Particleman\' date=\'Aug 6 2004, 07:45 AM\']Going back to the face-off discussion, I've seen an ocassion where the two face-off players both recieved strikes and when they turned to the next person in the family's, both recieved strikes as well.  When that fourth person answered the question wrong, Richard just called out to reveal all answers on the board and they brought out the next question.  Is this a common rule (four strikes and the question's out)?[/quote]
Back in the Dawson days, I recall at least once four players missing and having to go to a third player on a team to get an answer on the board.

During the Louie Anderson run, there was at least one instance of a question thrown out when the initial *Face-Off* players didn't get an answer on the board.  The current rule, if correct, seems to be taking the happy medium in this instance.

And yes, there was at least one instance of no one in a Face-Off not buzzing in at all during the Dawson days.  The players looked at each other, Dawson started humming and ten seconds later the strike buzzer hit.  After a wipe to indicate time passing (probably because they hadn't finished loading another question on the other board), Dawson declared the question too difficult, threw it out and went to the next question with the same players in the Face-Off.

Ian Wallis

Family Feud
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2004, 02:30:13 PM »
Adding to what others have said, I know I've seen an episode where the second person in a face-off gave the "number one answer" and Richard gave control to the first person's family because her "number two answer" had the same value. 

Now, in that case, shouldn't the host be informed before the question that the top two answers are tied, and that the first contestant should immediately be given credit for a face-off win in the event of coming up with either?

From what I can remember, there were a few occasions where the host said that the top 2 answers were tied.  In those cases, whoever gave either answer first (whether it be loaded No. 1 or No. 2 on the board) would get control and the other person wouldn't even get to answer because there was no way to beat the answer that was up there.  

If there was an instance where both players answered, it must have been an oversight.  Sometimes oversights happen - witness the first season Bergeron "Squares" episode where a contestant won with SIX squares in a game.  I think the board looked like this:

O X O
X X O
O O O

Nothing to do with "Feud", but just pointing out that sometimes these things happen.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

sshuffield70

Family Feud
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2004, 04:46:59 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 6 2004, 09:35 AM\'] [quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Aug 6 2004, 07:38 AM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 11:11 PM\'] [quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Aug 5 2004, 08:22 PM\'] Adding to what others have said, I know I've seen an episode where the second person in a face-off gave the "number one answer" and Richard gave control to the first person's family because her "number two answer" had the same value. [/quote]
Theoretically, yes, but if you saw the "Wheel" special this week, you'd understand why that wouldn't happen. [/quote]
I didn't see it. Can you explain to me why it wouldn't happen? [/quote]
 It was on last night and you still haven't seen it?

adamjk

Family Feud
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2004, 04:51:23 PM »
I wasn't even aware it was on last night.

Steve McClellan

Family Feud
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2004, 05:34:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Particleman\' date=\'Aug 6 2004, 05:45 AM\']Steve, to answer your question, if #1 and #2 are both the same value, it doesn't really make a difference.  If the first face-off player gets the #2 answer and the second player gets the #1 answer, the first player answered first and would gain control of the question.[/quote]
Yes, it does make a difference. The opposing team has revealed another answer. The reason for giving the opponent a shot is because that person has a chance to win control. If a "number two" answer that's tied for the top is given by the first player, the second has no such chance. Why help the family with control because they happened to pick the answer in the second position?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Family Feud
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2004, 07:12:39 PM »
[quote name=\' Steve Shuffield\']It was on last night and you still haven't seen it?[/quote]

I didn't see it, and I'm interested to know what the fuss is about, and how it relates to Family Feud.  Just because it pertains to game shows doesn't mean I have to watch it, or put it at tops of my list when I get a TiVo.  Go easy on him.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 07:16:50 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Particleman

Family Feud
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2004, 02:05:43 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Aug 6 2004, 04:34 PM\'] Why help the family with control because they happened to pick the answer in the second position? [/quote]
 For the same reason the family that lost the face-off helps the family that won control of the board if lower answers are tied for position.  If anything, the family in control gets more help if the lower answers are tied and revealed than the top answers as it's usually more difficult to guess the lower answers.

Robert Hutchinson

Family Feud
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2004, 07:54:42 PM »
I can see another reason to allow the second player to give their futile answer--there are people in the audience who are going to be confused and/or angry after the host explains that the #1 answer isn't going to do any good, trust him.

I'm not saying that said people are very bright, but it's still a consideration.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin