Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Announcers with limited roles on Game shows?  (Read 1447 times)

cmjb13

Announcers with limited roles on Game shows?
« on: August 07, 2004, 09:41:49 AM »
For an announcer on TPIR, they hardly ever leave their podium.

For shows where the announcer basically opens & closes the show, do they stay at their podium the whole show or are they allowed to do whatever they want until they are needed again?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tyshaun1

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 10:39:50 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Aug 7 2004, 08:41 AM\'] For an announcer on TPIR, they hardly ever leave their podium.

For shows where the announcer basically opens & closes the show, do they stay at their podium the whole show or are they allowed to do whatever they want until they are needed again? [/quote]
 Well, on Press Your Luck you would often see Rod walking up the stairs keeping the audience applauding as the turntable came to face the board. I assume most announcers did that as well, correct?

Tyshaun

Don Howard

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 11:30:14 AM »
During the taping session of Super Password I attended in 1985, Gene Wood was right there in front of the audience section laughing and leading the applause. This was before the passwords went back to being whispered by the announcer, at which time he probably had to stay put except during Alphabetics, The End Game, Super Password [whatever you want to call it].
« Last Edit: August 07, 2004, 11:30:24 AM by Don Howard »

davemackey

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 12:46:33 PM »
I'm sure Mr. West can concur (how's the weather in Rincon?), but every taping I ever went to, the announcers stayed on mike only when necessary but were needed to keep the audience in their pre-show frenzy.

tvrandywest

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2004, 11:29:53 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Aug 7 2004, 08:46 AM\'] I'm sure Mr. West can concur (how's the weather in Rincon?), but every taping I ever went to, the announcers stayed on mike only when necessary but were needed to keep the audience in their pre-show frenzy. [/quote]
 You nailed it, sir. But for the benefit of Chris who asked
For shows where the announcer basically opens & closes the show, do they stay at their podium the whole show or are they allowed to do whatever they want until they are needed again?
Yes, we are allowed to do whatever we want. But during the taping we're usually focused on maximizing our contribution to the show. That's either "working" the audience, or detailing the host's car   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com