Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Powerball Instant Millionaire  (Read 1423 times)

Michael Brandenburg

Powerball Instant Millionaire
« on: August 07, 2004, 11:00:09 PM »
As you may have noted in the "Show Summaries" section, the Powerball Instant Millionaire program for 8-7-2004 had only $1,000 won by the end-game player on that program.  That was bad enough, but the way the game is set up actually makes it more likely that the larger amounts get won instead of the smaller amounts, whereas the reverse should really be the case, IMO.

With the current game, if 36 players played the end-game until they either uncovered all seven of the board's dollar signs or both "Xs," and their results fell according to probability, here's what we would have:

1 winner of $1 million (no "Xs" in first 7 picks)

7 winners of $128,000 (6 dollar signs and one "X" in first 7 picks; 7th dollar sign on 8th pick)

1 winner of $100,000 (both "Xs" in first 2 picks)

7 winners of $32,000 (6 dollar signs and one "X" in first 7 picks; second "X" on 8th pick)

6 winners of $16,000 (second "X" on 7th pick)

5 winners of $8,000 (second "X" on 6th pick)

4 winners of $4,000 (second "X" on 5th pick)

3 winners of $2,000 (second "X" on 4th pick)

2 winners of $1,000 (second "X" on 3rd pick, as was the case on the 8-7-2004 program)

I know that the program is going off the air after this season, but if it ever comes back in the future, or if an individual state lottery decides to take this game for their own TV lottery show, here's what we need to do to fix this game:

1. Instead of having seven dollar signs and two "Xs" under the letters in the word "POWERBALL," reverse those numbers so that there are seven "Xs" and two dollar signs.

2. Put a "money ladder" next to the game board that would be like Greed's "Tower of Greed," but operating in reverse.

3. To play the game, the contestant picks letters from the word "POWERBALL" (or equivalent boxes from the end-game board of a local lottery TV show) until either both dollar signs or all seven "Xs" are revealed.  Each time an "X" is revealed, the contestant goes one step down the "money ladder," continuing to do so with each pick until either the second dollar sign is revealed (in which case the game ends with the contestant winning the money for that level), or until all seven "Xs" are revealed (in which case the contestant wins the lowest-level prize).

For the PBIM program, I would suggest the following amounts on the "money ladder," which would result in an average prize to the end-game winner of approximately what it is now (about $60,000):

$1,000,000 (both dollar signs in first 2 picks)
$100,000 (second dollar sign on 3rd pick)
$75,000 (second dollar sign on 4th pick)
$50,000 (second dollar sign on 5th pick)
$40,000 (second dollar sign on 6th pick)
$30,000 (second dollar sign on 7th pick)
$20,000 (second dollar sign on 8th pick)
$10,000 (all 7 "Xs" revealed in 8 picks, leaving second dollar sign unrevealed)

Note that even in the worst-case scenario here, a contestant would be guaranteed a five-figure prize.  (In contrast, with the current PBIM end-game, 14 of the 36 possible outcomes result in prizes of $8,000 or less.)

Michael Brandenburg
(But if you decide to increase those dollar amounts on the "money ladder" here, you'd better have the money in your prize budget for it!)

Don Howard

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 11:01:55 PM »
Haven't they already taped the last show?

GS Warehouse

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 11:24:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Aug 7 2004, 11:01 PM\'] Haven't they already taped the last show? [/quote]
 Fifty cyberdollars says Todd makes no mention at all that is the last show.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 01:03:59 AM »
[quote name=\'Michael Brandenburg\' date=\'Aug 7 2004, 10:00 PM\'] I know that the program is going off the air after this season, but if it ever comes back in the future, or if an individual state lottery decides to take this game for their own TV lottery show, here's what we need to do to fix this game:
 [/quote]
 No, that's what you'd do.  I'm sorry, group generalizations bother me...

Now, if I was in charge, I would fire the production company, scrap the format, and take the tapes to the landfill.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Don Howard

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2004, 10:34:53 AM »
As lottery game shows go, this wasn't a bad one in comparison to many others. It's certainly miles better than that God-awful Illinois' Luckiest complete with faux pinball machine and poor man's version of Family Feud. And whatever happened to Bill Barber?

TalkingHeadsFan

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2004, 12:36:37 PM »
I think this format would'nt have much cause for celebration. I mean, it IS a bonus round, it's supposed to be full of WINNING, not constant strikes, one after another.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2004, 12:36:53 PM by TalkingHeadsFan »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 01:29:15 AM »
I only saw the tail end of a couple episodes when Bob was hosting, but I thought the Zero Gravity wheel game was neat.  Or at least the way that they used the Bernoulli effect to keep the ball in the air.

(Kids, if you want to replicate the effect, find a hair dryer and ping pong ball.)

The idea I got was that the second spin (which had a huge spread of values was a fait accompli as to the final spin.  A $10K or $25K first spin meant a second spin was coming, a $50K or $100K one meant he would stop.  If so, then it makes sense to make the change.

The thing with the bonus round is that you want the money to build up, not see your shot at the money dwindle with each pick.  For my money, hide two powerballs in a grid of nine.  Pick two numbers.  If you find both, you win a million bucks.  If not, a consolation prize is behind each, and you win that.  Easy.  One shot, huge drama, and it's not drawn out.

But I suppose it's a moot point now.
Travis L. Eberle