Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 25th Anniversary of Mindreaders  (Read 1860 times)

GSWitch

25th Anniversary of Mindreaders
« on: August 13, 2004, 07:13:22 AM »
25 years ago, NBC debuted a new Goodson-Todman game which could be entitled, "Match Game Meets The Better Sex", but they called it Mindreaders.  Dick Martin hosted & the "Celebrity Charades" theme was recycled.

Two teams (of each sex) consisting of a celebrity captain & three contestants competed as stars tried to predict how each contestant answered a Yes-No question.  

$50 was paid off for each answer & the first team to reach $300 won the game & played a two-tiered bonus game.

PART 1:  THE JURY:  10 people were selected & answered questions before the show.  Each contestant would guess how many people said yes or no to a question.  An exact guess paid $500 & one offs paid $200.  This format would replace the Jokers round on CBS Card Sharks.  After three questions, the team would play for 10 times their winnings on...

PART 2:  CELEBRITY TURNAROUND:  Contestants had to guess how the star answered a yes-no question.  Majority rules & if they are right, they won a jackpot of ($2,000/$4,000/$5,000/$6,000/$7,000/$9,000/$10,000/$12,000/$15,000).

Contestants played for three games & were both retired.

There were two memorable contestants that I remember...

1).  Captain Sticky!  A fat super hero who was also featured on Real People.

2).  An elderly bearded man who made toys & lives @ the North Pole (North Pole, Alaska that is).

TimK2003

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 08:50:44 AM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Aug 13 2004, 06:13 AM\'] 25 years ago, NBC debuted a new Goodson-Todman game which could be entitled, "Match Game Meets The Better Sex", but they called it Mindreaders.  Dick Martin hosted & the "Celebrity Charades" theme was recycled.

[/quote]

I'm just utterly shocked, appalled, insulted and flabbergasted that GSN, or any network for that matter, refused to consider doing a Mindreaders Marathon...Such an underrated Goodson-Todman classic.

"Bartender, I think i finished my serd thixpack...Bring me ranother nound of halcolol...!!!"
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 08:51:49 AM by TimK2003 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 09:49:28 AM »
No station carried "Mindreaders" in Michigan.  It's the only G-T show to air during my lifetime that I have not seen.  I did buy a rather non-descript NBC hod card for the show on ebay.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 01:57:21 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Aug 13 2004, 06:13 AM\'] Dick Martin hosted & the "Celebrity Charades" theme was recycled.
 [/quote]
 Two things: 1) as far as I know from hearing both themes, Mindreaders and Celebrity Charades were two different themes, just a bit similar.  2) Didn't Mindreaders come first, unless CC was a midseason replacement for the 78-79 season, then the theme could've been "recycled?"

And before Zach says anything, the Mindreaders theme *was* recycled for the Puzzlers pilot with some guy who I don't remember...I guess he fell off the [weather] map. (rimshot)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

ChuckNet

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 02:10:40 PM »
Dick Martin hosted & the "Celebrity Charades" theme was recycled.

Actually, the Mindreaders theme was a re-arrangement/recording of a CC commercial cue...an alternate arrangement of the latter theme, however, was later used as Switcheroo music on the Kennedy PiR.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 07:09:52 PM »
The second part of the end game was called Celebrity Turnabout, and the jury did not vote in advance but voted electronically from the "jury box".

Other than that, it's all there. Unfortunately the office run-thrus went much better than what our relatively small audience saw on the air. Once in the studio, Dick didn't get into the groove of running the format and there soon developed a "Who cares?" ambience in playing the game with civilians.

zachhoran

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 07:56:19 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Aug 13 2004, 12:57 PM\']
Two things: 1) as far as I know from hearing both themes, Mindreaders and Celebrity Charades were two different themes, just a bit similar.  2) Didn't Mindreaders come first, unless CC was a midseason replacement for the 78-79 season, then the theme could've been "recycled?"

[/quote]
 Celebrity Charades premiered in Spring of 1979, with Mindreaders bowing in August 1979.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 10:46:12 PM »
Celebrity Charades premiered in Spring of 1979, with Mindreaders bowing in August 1979.
And to think, Bill Todman didn't live to behold this magnificent creation.

Steve_Bier

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004, 07:14:57 AM »
Do pictures of the set exist anywhere on the net? If not, what did the set look like?