Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN adding Winner Take All and Play Your Hunch  (Read 9748 times)

PeterMarshallFan

« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 12:15:50 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

Matt Ottinger

GSN adding Winner Take All and Play Your Hunch
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 12:20:32 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Aug 11 2004, 12:15 PM\'] http://www.tvgameshows.net/ [/quote]
 Well, neither show coud logically be expected to remain there very long, since only a small handful of each exist.  This looks more like the B&WO people doing us a favor (one last favor?) than it does a grand programming strategy.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 12:21:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 11 2004, 12:20 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Aug 11 2004, 12:15 PM\'] http://www.tvgameshows.net/ [/quote]
Well, neither show coud logically be expected to remain there very long, since only a small handful of each exist.  This looks more like the B&WO people doing us a favor (one last favor?) than it does a grand programming strategy. [/quote]
 I thought the same thing, too....but it's nice while it lasts.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 12:45:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 11 2004, 12:20 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Aug 11 2004, 12:15 PM\'] http://www.tvgameshows.net/ [/quote]
Well, neither show coud logically be expected to remain there very long, since only a small handful of each exist.  This looks more like the B&WO people doing us a favor (one last favor?) than it does a grand programming strategy. [/quote]
 I don't really think the overnight block was ever much of a "programming strategy."  If there's anywhere on the schedule that they'd do something to please us, that'd be it.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 12:52:40 PM »
I wonder if they have any more of the Barry Gray eps. The one I saw was very Letterman-esque.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

CaseyAbell

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 12:31:58 AM »
Don't know for sure myself, but this page says virtually every episode of Play Your Hunch exists:

http://classicgames.topcities.com/playyourhunch.html

It's a G-T show, so I tend to believe that just about all the episodes are intact. At least it sounds like they've got plenty of eps for a weekend run.

I don't expect GSN to ever get much credit from classics fans like the Prof, but somebody at the network is feeding him info about every old show that reappears on the network. Over the next few weeks GSN will be dusting off MG 90, Perry CS, Winner Take All and Play Your Hunch. Combined age of these shows: about 130 years. That should even please Mr. Steve a little.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 08:46:17 AM by CaseyAbell »

tommycharles

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 12:46:34 AM »
Um... not to burst people's bubble... but didn't they schedule those exact two shows for Sunday Night a couple of years ago and it turned out to be an April Fools joke? Could this be a joke also?

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 01:05:30 AM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Aug 11 2004, 11:46 PM\'] Um... not to burst people's bubble... but didn't they schedule those exact two shows for Sunday Night a couple of years ago and it turned out to be an April Fools joke? Could this be a joke also? [/quote]
Actually, they scheduled Say When! and Winner Take All with Bud Collyer, both of which don't exist (at least not in GSN's vaults). I, for one, am willing to trust the Prof and whomever his source is at GSN.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 01:10:59 AM by ilb4ever2000 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 02:25:48 AM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Aug 11 2004, 11:31 PM\'] Don't know for sure myself, but this page says virtually every episode of Play Your Hunch exists:

http://classicgames.topcities.com/playyourhunch.html

Sounds like they got plenty of eps for a weekend run.

I don't expect GSN to ever get much credit from classics fans like the Prof, but somebody at the network is feeding him info about every old show that reappears on the network. Over the next few weeks GSN will be dusting off MG 90, Perry CS, Winner Take All and Play Your Hunch. Combined age of these shows: about 130 years. That should even please Mr. Steve a little. [/quote]
Plus if you add classic "All-New 3's a Crowd" and classic "Hollywood Showdown" that pushes the age of the sked to close to 140 years old.  Somebody must be buying a lot of Rascal scooters. (The preceding was satirical in nature.)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 02:44:37 AM by Jimmy Owen »

CaseyAbell

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 08:02:27 AM »
Don't know what's so satirical about it. Old shows like MG 90, CS, and the B&W epics aren't exactly targeted at the MTV crowd. That ain't satire, that's a statement of fact.

I tend to think the Prof is right about GSN's scheduling moves. He got everything right about the August 23 schedule tweaks, at least according to Adlink. He certainly lost his best source at GSN when Boden hit the pavement, and for a while his info on the network seemed pretty slim. But he's obviously redeveloped some sources at GSN - probably the "pitch the niche" people, in Cronin's phrase. And why would anybody play an April Fools joke in August?

For a network that supposedly doesn't care about the classics any more, GSN is sure bringing back a lot of really, really old shows. Over the next few weeks how many other cable nets will be introducing (or reintroducing) four "new" shows with well over a century's worth of collective age on them? Even oldies nets like TVLand and Nick at Night are now emphasizing shows with much less wear and tear.

Speaking of the Adlink schedules, it looks like Next Action Star goes out in a blaze of less-than-glory with an afternoon marathon on Labor Day:

http://adlink.com/resource_center/programm...04&endtime=1770

Guess the network had to amortize some of the (hopefully small) repurposing fee over a few more hours. The show then diasappears. And Adlink doesn't yet reflect any of the BW&O changes, or any rearrangements GSN may make for the dual feed.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 08:29:10 AM by CaseyAbell »

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 11:22:37 AM »
I don't expect GSN to ever get much credit from classics fans like the Prof

Casey, don't label me in the same group as the Perfesser. [everyone's tastes are different, so your idea that there's a "classics crowd" that vows hate against every new show is shot already. I like Blackjack and Dodgeball is beginning to grow on me, so there.]

Honestly? I continue to be surprised with the moves this network is making, but now in a good way. This would be Lou Fazio's doing with the schedule changes, correct?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 11:23:51 AM by PeterMarshallFan »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2004, 12:26:54 PM »
For a network that supposedly doesn't care about the classics any more, GSN is sure bringing back a lot of really, really old shows.
Oh, jump off your high horse. Your "higher-than-thou" attitude is grating.  I can think of one really old show that they're bringing back--Card Sharks.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 12:27:34 PM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 12:28:41 PM »
MG90 is not that old, nor is CS'78.  I will grant you WTA and PYH are old.  To paraphrase the NBC promo dept, if you haven't seen it before, it's new to you. I can live with "Dodgeball" and I am glad that its high ratings have led to the return of "Winner Take All."

uncamark

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2004, 12:35:28 PM »
[quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'Aug 12 2004, 12:05 AM\'][quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Aug 11 2004, 11:46 PM\'] Um... not to burst people's bubble... but didn't they schedule those exact two shows for Sunday Night a couple of years ago and it turned out to be an April Fools joke? Could this be a joke also? [/quote]
Actually, they scheduled Say When! and Winner Take All with Bud Collyer, both of which don't exist (at least not in GSN's vaults). I, for one, am willing to trust the Prof and whomever his source is at GSN.[/quote]
If David Schwartz is still working at GSN, that's probably the Perfesser's mole.  If there are more than four "Play Your Hunch" and two "Winner Take All" eps listed on the available programming spreadsheet, Schwartz would probably know, since he programmed the vintage marathons and programs the special insertions into B&WO.

tyshaun1

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2004, 03:35:52 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Aug 12 2004, 07:02 AM\'] He certainly lost his best source at GSN when Boden hit the pavement, and for a while his info on the network seemed pretty slim. [/quote]
 So how do you know that Bob Boden is/was the Prof's mole at GSN? That's right..........YOU DON'T! And please, Casey, will you stop trying to segregate the game show fans? There are no "classics" or "originals" groups over here. Only game show fans who like good shows, whether it's new or old.

Tyshaun

OBGameShows: I may have liked it as a kid, but now, Bullseye sucks.