Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Potentially silly SotC question  (Read 3813 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Potentially silly SotC question
« on: August 11, 2004, 10:26:17 PM »
This has been rolling around in the back of my head for a while.

For all of the USA repeats of the program, during the opening sequence when the case opened to reveal that big horkin' jackpot, the "$100,000" graphic was small and silver.  Either I have far too good a memory, or need to share what I'm smoking but I think that at some point same graphic was instead larger, yellow, and likely Impact (retch) font.  

I'm trying to think of a reason they'd change something so insignificant as a font (I know that the early network shows are mostly lost, so it might be that span when the network show offered the Cash Jackpot before switching to the winner's board.)

If anyone can help me along, or recommend a good psychiatrist, I'm all ears.
Travis L. Eberle

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 11:03:38 PM »
You were right to think that. When the Winner's Board switch was made, the "$100,000" chyron was of a larger font and flashing. That carried over in the 1985 syndie version, but the network went with the silver "$100,000" chyron at the time.

You might be interested to know about two things: First, the "$100,000" font was similar to the permanent 1985 switch (except for the fact that it was in yellow). Second, the early episodes of $otC are not really lost, as I have been receiving a lot of clips (and complete episodes) from the First Shopping Era, as well as the very first Winner's Board episode.

I hope I helped.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 11:21:30 PM »
The first yellow font you're talking of from Winner's Board was the very same WoF used at the top of their show for displaying the "...over $100,000, just waiting to be won..." or whatever figure it was that day.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 11:25:17 PM »
I believe it's more an issue of master copies being misplaced than home-recorded copy availability.     I seem to recall it being mentioned the first season or so of Scrabble as well is missing...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 11:26:13 PM by Seth Thrasher »

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 08:01:42 AM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Aug 11 2004, 10:25 PM\'] I seem to recall it being mentioned the first season or so of Scrabble as well is missing... [/quote]
 In the case of Scrabble and $otC, I believe USA only purchased a package of shows at a time(and only purchased the one package of $otC aired in the two years it was on USA, the Syndie run and about six months of 1988-89 NBC episodes). It was reported since then that the entire run of both shows still exist. USA ended up purchasing and rerunning all of the 80s Scrabble save for the first three months, the three months of the Spelling format, and the last six months.

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 05:28:16 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Aug 12 2004, 07:01 AM\'] [quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Aug 11 2004, 10:25 PM\'] I seem to recall it being mentioned the first season or so of Scrabble as well is missing... [/quote]
In the case of Scrabble and $otC, I believe USA only purchased a package of shows at a time(and only purchased the one package of $otC aired in the two years it was on USA, the Syndie run and about six months of 1988-89 NBC episodes). It was reported since then that the entire run of both shows still exist. USA ended up purchasing and rerunning all of the 80s Scrabble save for the first three months, the three months of the Spelling format, and the last six months. [/quote]
 I was going to say that the question is not really whether the original tapes were missing, but whether USA bought a portion of the run. Something was not right when the only episodes from the Shopping and Winner's Board eras that were shown were from the Syndie version.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.