Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune pic  (Read 6068 times)

BrandonFG

Wheel of Fortune pic
« on: August 16, 2004, 05:28:09 PM »
Stay with me on this one.

I was browsing online, and found an old Wheel pic with Chuck and Susan, but I always wondered about the backdrop in the pic.

The Picture (It's also in the first EOTVGS.)

I noticed toward the left side, the backdrop is rounded, and looks like the outer edges of the old puzzleboard. Also, the backdrop seems to have a grid of disco tiles, which I thought the backdrop never had. In other words, I thought the contestant backdrop was simply all disco tile, with a few beige/brown strips.

Anyways, is that a pilot shot, or is that how the original backdrop looked? Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 05:28:54 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

JayC

Wheel of Fortune pic
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 05:33:28 PM »
I get an error message when trying to see it.

sshuffield70

Wheel of Fortune pic
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 05:44:18 PM »
Good question.  I couldn't tell either.

JayC, you have to be a member of the group to see it.

TonicBH

Wheel of Fortune pic
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 07:02:09 PM »
that kind of looks unusual. A rejected puzzleboard, perhaps?

(also notice that the Pat and Vanna promotional picture on the following page of the first EOTVGS has odd values like "$850" and "$950".)
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Wheel of Fortune pic
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 09:05:41 PM »
850 was actually on the wheel in the 70s. Zach moment, I know.

Anyway, what did those doors Mark Jeffries spoke of look like? That may be it. My best guess, anyway.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Card Shark

Wheel of Fortune pic
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 09:14:50 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Aug 16 2004, 05:28 PM\'] Stay with me on this one.

I was browsing online, and found an old Wheel pic with Chuck and Susan, but I always wondered about the backdrop in the pic.

I noticed toward the left side, the backdrop is rounded, and looks like the outer edges of the old puzzleboard. Also, the backdrop seems to have a grid of disco tiles, which I thought the backdrop never had. In other words, I thought the contestant backdrop was simply all disco tile, with a few beige/brown strips.

Anyways, is that a pilot shot, or is that how the original backdrop looked? Thanks. [/quote]
 On a semi-related note, I got bored and was looking for some extra information on the Chuck and Susan era. I found this web page http://www.gameshow-galaxy.net/wheel.htm and if you scroll towards the bottom, it states that Alex Trebek sub-hosted for Chuck in 1979 after Chuck attempted suicide. And no, I did not get this information from my bowling buddy's cousin's gold fish's sister. Check the web site. I do remember Alex hosting for Chuck around that time (don't ask me why I remember such a thing) and I asked my mother why he was hosting and she said it was because Chuck was sick. I have never heard that Chuck attempted suicide before. Is there anyone "in the know" on this board that can shed some light on this?
Adam Strom

johnnyd1788

Wheel of Fortune pic
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 09:19:36 PM »
It seems odd. It looks a little to me like the puzzleboard photoshopped into the pic of Chuck and Susan.
John
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 09:21:40 PM by johnnyd1788 »

J.R.

Wheel of Fortune pic
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 09:37:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Aug 16 2004, 08:14 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Aug 16 2004, 05:28 PM\'] Stay with me on this one.

Anyways, is that a pilot shot, or is that how the original backdrop looked? Thanks. [/quote]
On a semi-related note, I got bored and was looking for some extra information on the Chuck and Susan era. I found this web page http://www.gameshow-galaxy.net/wheel.htm and if you scroll towards the bottom, it states that Alex Trebek sub-hosted for Chuck in 1979 after Chuck attempted suicide. And no, I did not get this information from my bowling buddy's cousin's gold fish's sister. Check the web site. I do remember Alex hosting for Chuck around that time (don't ask me why I remember such a thing) and I asked my mother why he was hosting and she said it was because Chuck was sick. I have never heard that Chuck attempted suicide before. Is there anyone "in the know" on this board that can shed some light on this? [/quote]
 Actually, I believe Alex Trebek guest-hosted in 1981. Because he stated on his April Fools Day hosting job in 1997 that the last time he hosted it was "16 years ago" (to paraphrase).

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Wheel of Fortune pic
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2004, 09:42:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Aug 16 2004, 06:14 PM\'] it states that Alex Trebek sub-hosted for Chuck in 1979 after Chuck attempted suicide. And no, I did not get this information from my bowling buddy's cousin's gold fish's sister. Check the web site. [/quote]
 Yeah, and I'd be interested in knowing how the webmaster in question verified that information, too.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

Wheel of Fortune pic
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2004, 10:25:08 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Aug 16 2004, 08:37 PM\']
Actually, I believe Alex Trebek guest-hosted in 1981. Because he stated on his April Fools Day hosting job in 1997 that the last time he hosted it was "16 years ago" (to paraphrase).

[/quote]
 Alex also sub-hosted one episode of the daytime WOF in August 1985.

Chuck's suicidal thoughts, if indeed him attempting suicide is true, may have been in part due to his divorce to Jo Ann Pflug around the time that Alex subbed for a week for him.

Jimmy Owen

Wheel of Fortune pic
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2004, 12:20:55 AM »
If you've ever seen the movie "M*A*S*H," you'll remember that JoAnn helped "cure" a suicidal character played by John Schuck.  IMO, the allegation about Chuck can be chalked up to wild internet imagination with no sources or basis in fact.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 12:37:32 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

gsgalaxy82

Wheel of Fortune pic
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 01:42:45 AM »
Since it's my site, I'll try and defend what it says. Now, in the Jeopardy! book that was published around...1990 or so, Alex Trebek mentions that he guest hosted WoF for Chuck Woolery because "he was sick." Now, I had heard from various sources, that he had tried to commit suicide during (I think) his divorce with wife JoAnne Phlug. I believe I had read this in a book somewhere. If I'm wrong, I apologize, but that's all I have to say.

David
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 01:58:23 AM by gsgalaxy82 »

clemon79

Wheel of Fortune pic
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 02:15:15 AM »
Fair enough. People can draw their own conclusions from that.

Card Shark

Wheel of Fortune pic
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2004, 06:31:38 AM »
[quote name=\'gsgalaxy82\' date=\'Aug 17 2004, 01:42 AM\'] Since it's my site, I'll try and defend what it says. Now, in the Jeopardy! book that was published around...1990 or so, Alex Trebek mentions that he guest hosted WoF for Chuck Woolery because "he was sick." Now, I had heard from various sources, that he had tried to commit suicide during (I think) his divorce with wife JoAnne Phlug. I believe I had read this in a book somewhere. If I'm wrong, I apologize, but that's all I have to say.

David [/quote]
 I wasn't questioning the validity. That's just a side of the story that I have never known about until last night.
Adam Strom

clemon79

Wheel of Fortune pic
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004, 11:31:48 AM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Aug 17 2004, 03:31 AM\'] I wasn't questioning the validity. That's just a side of the story that I have never known about until last night. [/quote]
 Nobody said you were. I was. I was also trying to point out the hazards of citing someone else's Web site as an information source (which you DID do: "And no, I did not get this information from my bowling buddy's cousin's gold fish's sister. Check the web site.") when you have no idea where THEY might have gotten the information from.