Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Leslie Crowther's TPIR  (Read 4478 times)

uncamark

Leslie Crowther's TPIR
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2004, 09:30:57 PM »
And the reason for the cheaper prizes?  British TV had strict limits on what they could give away back then imposed by the Independent Broadcasting Authority.  If they could've given away bigger prizes back then, they would've.  The regulators wouldn't let them.

And yes, they had their own version of the quiz scandals in the late 50s--on, appropriately enough, their version of "Twenty-One."

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Leslie Crowther's TPIR
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2004, 10:04:29 PM »
>> And the reason for the cheaper prizes? British TV had strict limits on what they could give away back then imposed by the Independent Broadcasting Authority. If they could've given away bigger prizes back then, they would've. The regulators wouldn't let them.

And from what I read, they wouldn't let shows advertise brand names. If any of you have seen the UK Name That Tune intro on TV Ark, you would have noticed that they didn't even mention the make of the car!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 10:05:37 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

uncamark

Leslie Crowther's TPIR
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2004, 10:08:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' date=\'Aug 22 2004, 09:04 PM\']>> And the reason for the cheaper prizes? British TV had strict limits on what they could give away back then imposed by the Independent Broadcasting Authority. If they could've given away bigger prizes back then, they would've. The regulators wouldn't let them.

And from what I read, they wouldn't let shows advertise brand names. If any of you have seen the UK Name That Tune intro on TV Ark, you would have noticed that they didn't even mention the make of the car![/quote]
It was a huge victory for Anglia when they got the IBA to let them announce car makes and models on "$OTC"--previously, they had to even put duct tape over the VW logo on a Beetle.

At one point during the run of "$OTC," they also got the IBA to increase the maximum value of prizes they could offer--using the reasoning that if they didn't, they wouldn't be able to give away British-made cars on the show.  The appeal to patriotism worked.

urbanpreppie05

Leslie Crowther's TPIR
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2004, 10:15:38 AM »
Now that I think about it, NOT ONE brand name was mentioned the entire hour! Now I know why....

What spurred the increase in prizes in later shows?
insert signature here

uncamark

Leslie Crowther's TPIR
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2004, 02:48:51 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Aug 23 2004, 09:15 AM\']Now that I think about it, NOT ONE brand name was mentioned the entire hour! Now I know why....

What spurred the increase in prizes in later shows?[/quote]
IBA probably upped the maximum amount game shows could give away and "TPIR" took advantage of it.

And product placement is still strictly forbidden in the UK.  The British producers of "Idol" openly complained about those cheesy video segments that they had to do for "American Idol"'s sponsors, saying that they never had to do them on the original British version.

And on "Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway," on every show someone can win every product that was in an ITV licensee's prime time commercial break as selected by the producers--but outside of car makes and models, they cannot say the brand names of the products.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 03:43:18 PM by uncamark »

GS Warehouse

Leslie Crowther's TPIR
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2004, 07:15:19 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Aug 23 2004, 02:48 PM\'] And product placement is still strictly forbidden in the UK.  The British producers of "Idol" openly complained about those cheesy video segments that they had to do for "American Idol"'s sponsors, saying that they never had to them on the original British version. [/quote]
 I wouldn't blame them.  Those videos are really nothing more than extended car commercials.