Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Children's television  (Read 5088 times)

gshowguy

Children's television
« on: August 18, 2004, 10:31:32 AM »
Months ago, I was watching some episodes of The Disney Channel's "The Koala Brothers", and I found a game show reference point in the credits. The credits said the narrator of the show was Jonathan Coleman, and I thought, "Is he the same guy who was Bob Goen's sidekick on Born Lucky?" Sure enough, listening to him narrate, it was him.

And I thought, can you think of any children's TV programs that might've had some of its stars on game shows? I know a couple:

Didi Conn of "Shining Time Station" was on Match Game, Password Plus, and the Pyramids to name a few.

And of course, there's also Guy Smiley.

Then, of course, the Muppets have been on a few game shows, most notably, "Hollywood Squares".

I wonder, do you guys know of any game shows that had children's TV stars at one point (and don't start on Nickelodeon game shows like Figure it Out, because they seemed to have them all the time)?

Jimmy Owen

Children's television
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 12:19:43 PM »
The syndie WML? had a bunch as mystery guests, not to mention Soupy Sales.  Shari Lewis, Captain Kangaroo, Bozo, Buffalo Bob, Big Bird, etc.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Children's television
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 12:36:59 PM »
[quote name=\'gshowguy\' date=\'Aug 18 2004, 07:31 AM\'] And I thought, can you think of any children's TV programs that might've had some of its stars on game shows? I know a couple:
 [/quote]
 That Levar Burton fellow from "Reading Rainbow" has been on an episode or two of Pyramid. He might have done a few other things too. :)

I'd feel pretty safe wagering that Rita Moreno has done at least a show or two in her career.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Winkfan

Children's television
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 12:55:03 PM »
Kukla and Ollie (sans Fran) appeared on Match Game in 1979; and before he was part of the Sesame Street crew, Bob McGrath appeared on To Tell the Truth and I've Got A Secret.

There were also some of those 'teenage dance party' shows (national AND local) that have something of a connection to game shows; or at least the people who were on these shows. Shindig host Jimmy O'Neill (whom I met face-to-face a couple of times) worked at radio station KRLA in the early '60s with Bob Eubanks (who had his own local dance show in L.A.) and Wink Martindale (ditto); and Shivaree host Gene Weed worked at KFWB with Gary Owens and the Winkster.

There was Sam Riddle, who hosted Get It Together and Hollywood A-Go-Go; he worked on Almost Anything Goes in 1976.

Lloyd Thaxton had his own self-named show on KCOP-TV in L.A. before he dabbled in game show hosting; and original Dream Girl of '67 host Dick Stewart had likewise on KPIX-TV in San Francisco.

Finally, there was a bomb called Saturday Prom on NBC in 1960; it was hosted by Merv Griffin.

And, of course, we all know about Dick Clark.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'JoAnn Pflug of the Big Board!

P.S. Anyone know if Don (Soul Train) Cornelius appeared on any game shows?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 05:50:12 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

Neumms

Children's television
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 12:57:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Aug 18 2004, 11:55 AM\']

P.S. Anyone know if Don (Soul Train) Cornelius appeared on any game shows? [/quote]
 He did preside over the Soul Train Scramble Board, didn't he?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Children's television
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 01:03:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Aug 18 2004, 11:55 AM\'] There was Sam Riddle, who hosted Get It Together and Hollywood A-Go-Go; he worked on Almost Anything Goes in 1976. [/quote]
 Same Sam Riddle who produced STAR SEARCH?

And funny that Chris L. mentioned Rita Moreno--I saw her perform over the weekend (and she still <Fernando> looks marvelous <end Fernando>).

Doug -- and the countdown to 600 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Mike Tennant

Children's television
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 01:27:01 PM »
Charles Nelson Reilly played the evil magicial Hoo Doo on Sid and Marty Krofft's Lidsville.

clemon79

Children's television
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 01:28:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Aug 18 2004, 09:57 AM\'] [quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Aug 18 2004, 11:55 AM\']

P.S. Anyone know if Don (Soul Train) Cornelius appeared on any game shows? [/quote]
He did preside over the Soul Train Scramble Board, didn't he? [/quote]
 <Barry White> You daaaaaaaaaaaaamn right. </Barry White>

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Children's television
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 01:33:53 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 18 2004, 12:28 PM\'] <Barry White> You daaaaaaaaaaaaamn right. </Barry White> [/quote]
I thought that was Isaac Hayes in "Theme From Shaft," unless I'm missing something (which wouldn't be the first time).

Doug -- and the countdown to 600 continues
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 01:34:12 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

Children's television
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004, 01:38:37 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Aug 18 2004, 10:33 AM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 18 2004, 12:28 PM\'] <Barry White> You daaaaaaaaaaaaamn right. </Barry White> [/quote]
I thought that was Isaac Hayes in "Theme From Shaft," [/quote]
 It was, but Barry White was also a bad mother (shut your mouth!), and he had that ultrasmooth image I wanted to connect to Don, and I'm sure he said it a few times himself. :)

AH3RD

Children's television
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2004, 02:23:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Aug 18 2004, 12:27 PM\'] Charles Nelson Reilly played the evil magicial Hoo Doo on Sid and Marty Krofft's Lidsville. [/quote]
 ...and later on, he took on the title role of Filmation's ill-fated Uncle Croc's Block (ABC, 1975-76).
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

Jimmy Owen

Children's television
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004, 02:35:27 PM »
Original "Wonderama" and "$64k Challenge" host Sonny Fox was the vp of childrens programming for NBC in 76-77 at the same time he was hosting WOG over on CBS. According to "Les Brown's Encyclopedia of Television," Fox was fired from NBC in 77 after his mostly live action Sat morn. lineup flopped. One of the shows on that lineup: "Monster Squad" with a pre-DT Henry Polic II as Dracula.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 02:39:08 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

Children's television
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2004, 04:44:54 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Aug 18 2004, 12:03 PM\'][quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Aug 18 2004, 11:55 AM\'] There was Sam Riddle, who hosted Get It Together and Hollywood A-Go-Go; he worked on Almost Anything Goes in 1976. [/quote]
Same Sam Riddle who produced STAR SEARCH?[/quote]
Same Sam Riddle.  Also one of the original KHJ Boss Jocks with [George Carlin] the boss hits from the Boss 30 that their boss told them to play!  [GC]

Wonderful WINO...

clemon79

Children's television
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2004, 05:38:44 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Aug 18 2004, 01:44 PM\'] Wonderful WINO... [/quote]
 "WINO Time! <bing-bong!> Five minutes past the big hour of five o'clock..." :)

Kevin Prather

Children's television
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2004, 05:46:34 PM »
IIRC, Dick Clark played the part of David Seville whenever the Chipmunks appeared on Ed Sullivan or whathaveyou. Am I right?