Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Millionaire Lifeline Tweak  (Read 7062 times)

Steve McClellan

Millionaire Lifeline Tweak
« on: August 19, 2004, 07:47:23 PM »
Per the show's site, the audience lifeline will now include a poll of interested AOL Instant Messenger users. Add 'MillionaireIM' to your buddy list, and you'll see the questions whenever someone in the hot seat requests the throng's help.

This is an, uh, interesting addition. Thoughts?

inturnaround

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 08:42:36 PM »
I think it's a great interactive addition to the show. If I was in the hotseat, though, I don't know how much faith I'd place in it.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

itiparanoid13

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 09:06:06 PM »
BEST addition to the show in a long time.  I love this idea, and wish they would have thought of it earlier.

johnnyd1788

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 09:27:53 PM »
I just signed up! I'm glad now you don't have to actually be in the audience to help the needy contestant.
John

goongas

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 09:40:01 PM »
It won't make much of a difference.  I would rather them let you get rid of a question for another and have that replace an existing lifeline of your choice.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 09:56:59 PM »
As I told some folks via AIM, I wonder how soon we'll see the following scenario...

"What is the capital of Canada?"

A.  Toronto -- 19%
B.  Ottawa -- 13%
C.  Montreal -- 8%
D.  Vancouver -- 6%
E.  d00d...i have a question of my own...asl? -- 54%

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 10:13:53 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Aug 19 2004, 04:47 PM\'] Per the show's site, the audience lifeline will now include a poll of interested AOL Instant Messenger users. Add 'MillionaireIM' to your buddy list, and you'll see the questions whenever someone in the hot seat requests the throng's help.

This is an, uh, interesting addition. Thoughts? [/quote]
What I want to know is, are the AOL and audience numbers going to be added together, or does the player get to see the stats seperately?

Because I would burn in hell before asking a representative cross-section of AOLers for help on a Millionaire question.

"....and 47% say "pwned!""
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 10:16:08 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 10:24:09 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 19 2004, 09:13 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Aug 19 2004, 04:47 PM\'] Per the show's site, the audience lifeline will now include a poll of interested AOL Instant Messenger users. Add 'MillionaireIM' to your buddy list, and you'll see the questions whenever someone in the hot seat requests the throng's help.

This is an, uh, interesting addition. Thoughts? [/quote]
What I want to know is, are the AOL and audience numbers going to be added together, or does the player get to see the stats seperately?

Because I would burn in hell before asking a representative cross-section of AOLers for help on a Millionaire question.

"....and 47% say "pwned!"" [/quote]
 Hey, it could be worse.

There could be some people trying to plug some free "pr0n sitez." :)

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 10:40:42 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 19 2004, 07:13 PM\'] What I want to know is, are the AOL and audience numbers going to be added together, or does the player get to see the stats seperately? [/quote]
 "Meredith will show the results of the studio audience vote and then the results of the IM vote."

Seems like the contestant will be getting two separate sets of data.

clemon79

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 11:07:29 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Aug 19 2004, 07:40 PM\'] "Meredith will show the results of the studio audience vote and then the results of the IM vote."

Seems like the contestant will be getting two separate sets of data. [/quote]
 Heh. I would be highly amused to see the percentage of correct answers from both polls over the course of the taping season. I hope someone keeps track. :)

BrentW

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2004, 01:18:11 AM »
I'd have to say that I WOULD put a good deal of weight to the Internet  audience.  It's going to be FAR more than the regular audience, especially now that they are doing their advertising for it on TV.  600 people in the main audience, so I am guessing 5,000 at LEAST for the Internet.  And you have to think -- it's not a representation of AOL users.  It's a sampling of ALL the people who are "gameshow-y" enough to WANT to sign up in the first place.  I'd like to use an ATA lifeline for the people on this board than a lot of those audiences.  

The more folks you have, the better the statistics are truer to form.  I'll just say that anyone who is into this enough to go online and want to actually SIGN UP for this, and then go thru the thing of sending back messages of their "answers" in the time allowed...those are the folks who are "into" the show...thus, usually a far smarter audience, IMO.

Feel free to disagree.  
:)
-Brent

Steve McClellan

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2004, 02:17:52 AM »
[quote name=\'BrentW\' date=\'Aug 19 2004, 10:18 PM\'] Feel free to disagree. [/quote]
Okay, I will. It's about 150 people in the studio audience, not 600. :)
It's a sampling of ALL the people who are "gameshow-y" enough to WANT to sign up in the first place.
...and the people who think, "h3y thsll b3 kul!" I'll be interested to see just how good the AIM crowd is. That'll be the way to tell how much faith to put in 'em.

Well, all I can say is good luck to the first tape group of the new season, in trying to figure out how seriously they can be taken. :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 02:21:59 AM by gameshowsteve »

Vgmastr

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2004, 02:21:56 AM »
According to the website, all you have to do is add the name to your buddy list.  I did that, and the name shows up as being online.  My question is, how do they know you IM you?  Do they have some special technology to know who's added them to their buddy list?  Has anyone sent an IM to the name and gotten a response?  I do think it's a cool idea, though.

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2004, 02:25:21 AM »
[quote name=\'Vgmastr\' date=\'Aug 19 2004, 11:21 PM\'] Do they have some special technology to know who's added them to their buddy list? [/quote]
There's nothing special about it. You can set AIM to ask for confirmation when someone wants to join. I'm sure they have a Perl script or some crap on their end recording who is making the request, and then automatically allowing it, adding that name to a mailing list of sorts. Then, when the time comes, they have the list to send the question to, and the same script prolly also tallies the responses, and prunes names from the list when they bounce undeliverable due to people blocking it and such.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 02:26:50 AM by clemon79 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2004, 02:59:26 AM »
[quote name=\'Vgmastr\' date=\'Aug 20 2004, 01:21 AM\']According to the website, all you have to do is add the name to your buddy list.  I did that, and the name shows up as being online.  My question is, how do they know you IM you?  Do they have some special technology to know who's added them to their buddy list?  Has anyone sent an IM to the name and gotten a response?  I do think it's a cool idea, though.[/quote]
Like Chris said, it's all automatic replies. It gives you info about how it works.

From my IM to Millionaire:

MillionaireIM:  Type go to get more information about MillionaireIM.

{myself}:  go
 MillionaireIM: You are currently opted-IN While we are taping Millionaire, if a contestant needs to use their Ask the Audience Lifeline, we will Instant Message YOU with the question and you will need to repond immidiatly.
All answers will be tabulated and the results will be read to the contestant. We will ask you one time for each contestant using the Ask the Audience Lifeline.

You can type cancel any time to stop MillionaireIM Lifeline Alerts.

If copying and pasting IM conversations violates any board rules, I apologize.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!