Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Two types of Sports Type displays?  (Read 5563 times)

GS Warehouse

Two types of Sports Type displays?
« on: August 20, 2004, 10:55:43 AM »
Is it just me or does it look like the "sports type" displays on the contestant podium use two different styles?  For example, an 8 on the green center display (where the actual number appears) looks a little bit different from an 8 on the red or blue displays.  It looks a little "taller" proportionally.  (The CS86 podium used the "shorter" proportions on all four displays.)

- When CS78 returns to GSN next weekend, will they pick up where the run left off (November 1979) or will it go somewhere else in the run?

- It looks like the queens were redesigned for CS86, but the jacks and kings look identical in both versions.

- Does the CS78 set look like it was lit a little more dimly than the CS86 set?

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 03:48:45 PM »
- You're right, the numbers are proportionally different on the 86 version, compared to the '78 version.

-Lets certainly hope they start from 11/79, and continue from there.

-Couldn't tell the difference on the queens

-CS78 looks more dimly because of the dark red background, even though it looked slightly more different by 1981. CS86 was bright to start with, and when they added the car (with the spoke lights), it was even worse...

JMFabiano

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 11:28:41 PM »
re: the queens, they always looked the same between the '78 and '86 decks.  Only difference, as someone else noted once, is that the Perry cards seem taller.

And I still want to know who did the art for the face cards used in the first two versions of CS.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 08:24:49 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Aug 22 2004, 11:28 PM\'] And I still want to know who did the art for the face cards used in the first two versions of CS. [/quote]
 The best guess I can offer is either Ted Cooper or someone at the Goodson art department.

(BTW, here's what I meant by "proportionally taller": I took screen shots of the podiums from both versions and took measurements of the displays.  On the original version's green display, the character's height was 7 times the height of the bottom part, but on all other displays, including those on CS86, the height was only 6 times the bottom part!)

GSNFAN3000

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2004, 09:16:52 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Aug 20 2004, 09:55 AM\'] - When CS78 returns to GSN next weekend, will they pick up where the run left off (November 1979) or will it go somewhere else in the run? [/quote]
 Sorry folks, but the run will start from the beginning!

Don Howard

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2004, 12:48:29 PM »
[quote name=\'GSNFAN3000\' date=\'Aug 28 2004, 08:16 AM\'] the run will start from the beginning! [/quote]
 This is not a bad thing. We must remember that many of our brethren have never seen the Jim Perry version as it's been over two years since that series ran on GSN. And they're in for a treat. I didn't stick around until 9:30am, but I presume they did squeeze the credits. No matter. As was pointed out by a fellow member, at least it wasn't the 2001 vomitorium.

aaron sica

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2004, 01:04:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Aug 28 2004, 12:48 PM\'] This is not a bad thing. We must remember that many of our brethren have never seen the Jim Perry version as it's been over two years since that series ran on GSN. And they're in for a treat. I didn't stick around until 9:30am, but I presume they did squeeze the credits. No matter. As was pointed out by a fellow member, at least it wasn't the 2001 vomitorium. [/quote]
As I had to be at work at 10, I didn't stick around to see if the credits were scrunched (although i prefer them not to be, it doesn't matter to me either way and unlike some people, I don't hissy fit when they are)...

But yes, it was nice to see it start from the beginning - and with 2 episodes a week, it will take quite a while to get through the entire run.

Always funny as well to see the rules explained for the first time on a classic show.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 01:11:19 PM by aaron sica »

Don Howard

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2004, 01:08:45 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Aug 28 2004, 12:04 PM\'] Always funny as well to see the rules explained for the first time on a classic show. [/quote]
 That it is. And Jim really turned those cards over slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwly during those opening weeks.

adamjk

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2004, 01:16:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Aug 28 2004, 11:48 AM\'] [quote name=\'GSNFAN3000\' date=\'Aug 28 2004, 08:16 AM\'] the run will start from the beginning! [/quote]
This is not a bad thing. We must remember that many of our brethren have never seen the Jim Perry version as it's been over two years since that series ran on GSN. And they're in for a treat. I didn't stick around until 9:30am, but I presume they did squeeze the credits. No matter. As was pointed out by a fellow member, at least it wasn't the 2001 vomitorium. [/quote]
I didn't have GSN in 2001. Are you speaking of WIN TV. I remember seeing that when my mom had the channel at her old house. If not that, then what are you speaking of?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 01:18:08 PM by adamjk »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2004, 01:25:13 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 28 2004, 12:16 PM\'] [quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Aug 28 2004, 11:48 AM\'] [quote name=\'GSNFAN3000\' date=\'Aug 28 2004, 08:16 AM\'] the run will start from the beginning! [/quote]
This is not a bad thing. We must remember that many of our brethren have never seen the Jim Perry version as it's been over two years since that series ran on GSN. And they're in for a treat. I didn't stick around until 9:30am, but I presume they did squeeze the credits. No matter. As was pointed out by a fellow member, at least it wasn't the 2001 vomitorium. [/quote]
I didn't have GSN in 2001. Are you speaking of WIN TV. I remember seeing that when my mom had the channel at her old house. If not that, then what are you speaking of? [/quote]
 He's talking about the promos they run at the end.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

adamjk

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2004, 01:27:18 PM »
Oh. How were they worse though?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2004, 01:30:46 PM »
I'm pretty sure he is referring to the Pat Bullard CS01
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

adamjk

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2004, 01:36:02 PM »
Oh, I see that now. Didn't realize it.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2004, 02:01:24 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Aug 28 2004, 12:04 PM\'] As I had to be at work at 10, I didn't stick around to see if the credits were scrunched (although i prefer them not to be, it doesn't matter to me either way and unlike some people, I don't hissy fit when they are)... [/quote]
 They were.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

GS Warehouse

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2004, 03:05:05 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Aug 28 2004, 01:04 PM\'] But yes, it was nice to see it start from the beginning - and with 2 episodes a week, it will take quite a while to get through the entire run.

Always funny as well to see the rules explained for the first time on a classic show. [/quote]
Based on the CS78 episode guide at my website, the last run on GSN ended at show #415, just under halfway through the series, so at two episodes a week, it will take four years to get back to that point, and I highly doubt GSN will keep it on for nearly that long.  But you're right; it's better that in case of new viewers, GSN starts where they walk through the rules.  (I first saw CS around 1980 or so, and I picked up on the high-low concept easily, even at age 5.  In 1982, certain episodes from both ends of the series were syndicated to my local CBS station, and I was hearing Jim actually explain the rules for the first time.)

[quote name=\'Don Howard @ Aug 28 2004\' date=\' 01:08 PM\']And Jim really turned those cards over slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwly during those opening weeks.[/quote]
If you watch an ep from, say, 1979 on (as I did this past week), you'll notice the whole game moved a lot more slowly in the early days.

I'm going to look at it this way: having seen (and taped) almost all of those 415 shows previously, I guess I can continue sleeping in on the weekends.  In my mind, that's what weekends are for.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 03:06:22 PM by GS Warehouse »