Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How Would Fremantle Revive These Shows  (Read 8117 times)

uncamark

How Would Fremantle Revive These Shows
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2004, 12:48:37 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 01:46 AM\'][quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Jan 11 2004, 10:33 PM\'] By the way - to ask another question that's off the subject: Chris C. - do you know why Gene didn't whisper the password on P+ ??
 [/quote]
My guess is: "'Cuz."

They didn't whisper passwords at the start of the Super Password run, either. after a while, they decided to bring that tradition back. I thought it was cheesy, myself.[/quote]
The reason for the verbal reveal of the "Password" was because Bob Stewart's mother couldn't read English, even though she could speak it, and he wanted her and people like her to be able to follow the show.

As for "Plus," I've assumed that the idea of dropping the whisper was to have the game play a little faster.  I also assume that when they found out that the reveal sound effect on "Super" took just as long as Gene whispering the word, they brought it back.

And considering that Jack Clark and Lee Vines were stationed in the back of the New York theater where they could've been heard in a normal conversational tone, they *had* to whisper the word.

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2004, 10:53:12 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 11 2004, 10:46 PM\']

They didn't whisper passwords at the start of the Super Password run, either. after a while, they decided to bring that tradition back. I thought it was cheesy, myself.[/quote]
The first version of Password where the word wasn't announced was "Password All-Stars." There were beeps for each letter, and a final beep for the quotation marks.

Esoteric Eric, who remembers Allen occasionally reminding the audience that the players couldn't hear the SFX; one male celeb (don't remember who) responded, "Oh, you mean those beeps that tell us how many letters are in the word?"
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

inturnaround

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2004, 10:57:25 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 12 2004, 12:48 PM\'] As for "Plus," I've assumed that the idea of dropping the whisper was to have the game play a little faster.  I also assume that when they found out that the reveal sound effect on "Super" took just as long as Gene whispering the word, they brought it back.

And considering that Jack Clark and Lee Vines were stationed in the back of the New York theater where they could've been heard in a normal conversational tone, they *had* to whisper the word. [/quote]
 It also ties into the whole password idea, too. When you wanted to get into a speakeasy during Prohibition. you needed to know (and whisper) the password to the guard at the door to get in. That's kind of what I thought when I watched it.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2004, 01:50:09 AM »
Chris had the right answer: "Cuz". I'd like to know why they brought it back on SP. Gene already had his hands full cheerleading the audience.

The real question to ask is, why wasn't there a word authority?

gshowguy

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2004, 10:14:53 PM »
I can't think of anything.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 11:50:58 PM by gshowguy »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2004, 10:18:16 PM »
Not only did you bump a 7-month old thread back to the top, you posted a comment that didn't have a damn thing to do with it.

Final Jeopardy Answer: Should be the new home for gshowguy.
30 seconds, players. Good luck.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

gshowguy

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2004, 10:28:03 PM »
But, to answer a previous question... I'm not sure why there wasn't a word authority.

TonicBH

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2004, 10:42:01 PM »
I swear to god I saw gshowguy's "revival" attempt from another MB. and it was by JRaygor. Isn't that plagarism (or something)?
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

gshowguy

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2004, 11:51:29 PM »
If you think my post is plaguerized, then it's vanished.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2004, 01:43:53 AM »
[quote name=\'gshowguy\' date=\'Aug 20 2004, 10:14 PM\'] I can't think of anything. [/quote]
 I think we could have figured that out without you telling us.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2004, 06:30:31 AM »
[quote name=\'gshowguy\' date=\'Aug 20 2004, 07:28 PM\'] But, to answer a previous question... I'm not sure why there wasn't a word authority. [/quote]
 You are not in a position to know why there wasn't a word authority. I worked on the show. If I don't know, how would you?

It was a mistake not having one. Having amateurs (the producers) make those calls -- sometimes bad ones -- made us look, well, amateurish.

sshuffield70

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2004, 11:54:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Aug 20 2004, 09:18 PM\'] Not only did you bump a 7-month old thread back to the top, you posted a comment that didn't have a damn thing to do with it.

Final Jeopardy Answer: Should be the new home for gshowguy.
30 seconds, players. Good luck. [/quote]
 What is Game Show Hell?

Wager is $11T,000,000,000