Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Internation game show network  (Read 5177 times)

adamjk

Internation game show network
« on: August 22, 2004, 11:31:20 AM »
A recent post about having foreign game shows air in the states gave me an idea. What if someone came up with an international game show network? Every show is something that airs in another country. For shows that aren't in English, subtitles could be used. This way people can see full episodes of their favorite shows, as aired in other parts of the world. Or they could see original game show ideas from around the world if they so desired. What do you guys think? Could there be a market for this?

EDIT: The title should read international game show network. Sorry for the error.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 11:33:05 AM by adamjk »

gshowguy

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 12:03:44 PM »
That'd be a great idea. My test market for this proposed channel you came up with should be either New York City or Los Angeles. I also like your idea of using subtitles for those who can't understand the language (i.e., learning German by watching Hopp Oder Top, Germany's version of $ale of the Century).

tommycharles

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 12:22:45 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 22 2004, 10:31 AM\'] Could there be a market for this?
 [/quote]
 In a word? No.

We saw a mostly-traditional-gamer network have to change because the format wasn't working so well... now you want a mostly-traditional-gamer-and-all-in-another-language network? No, I dont see that working.

gshowguy

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 12:26:20 PM »
Well, if that doesn't work, what will? Maybe you could try an International channel that shows some Aussie, British, Canadian (in English), Indian (like the bilingual version of WWtBaM), Irish, New Zealand, and South Africa games would work. Would it?

adamjk

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 12:47:45 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Aug 22 2004, 11:22 AM\'] [quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 22 2004, 10:31 AM\'] Could there be a market for this?
 [/quote]
In a word? No.

We saw a mostly-traditional-gamer network have to change because the format wasn't working so well... now you want a mostly-traditional-gamer-and-all-in-another-language network? No, I dont see that working. [/quote]
 But it wouldn't be all other languages. Some shows would still be in english.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 01:17:51 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 22 2004, 11:47 AM\'] [quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Aug 22 2004, 11:22 AM\'] [quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 22 2004, 10:31 AM\'] Could there be a market for this?
 [/quote]
In a word? No.

We saw a mostly-traditional-gamer network have to change because the format wasn't working so well... now you want a mostly-traditional-gamer-and-all-in-another-language network? No, I dont see that working. [/quote]
But it wouldn't be all other languages. Some shows would still be in english. [/quote]
 That's why he didn't call it "Foreign Language Game Network" you moron.  Widen your perspective a little, and maybe you'll be able to graduate from middle school by 2012.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

dzinkin

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 01:27:32 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 22 2004, 12:47 PM\'] But it wouldn't be all other languages. Some shows would still be in english. [/quote]
You're still missing the point.  If a nearly-all-game-shows network didn't work when all of the shows were in English and from the USA, what makes you and gshowguy think that bringing in shows from outside the USA would work?

I know that YOU would like it, and I know that gshowguy would go positively orgasmic over such a network.  That makes two viewers.  Let's assume for the sake of argument that every member of this group would watch, so we can account for the hard-core game show fan contingent.  That makes just over one thousand viewers.

The original GSN had far more than 1,000 viewers and it didn't work. Why would an international game show channel work, in English or otherwise?  And you need to be more specific than "I would watch."
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 01:27:54 PM by dzinkin »

adamjk

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2004, 01:31:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Aug 22 2004, 12:17 PM\'] [quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 22 2004, 11:47 AM\'] [quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Aug 22 2004, 11:22 AM\'] [quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 22 2004, 10:31 AM\'] Could there be a market for this?
 [/quote]
In a word? No.

But it wouldn't be all other languages. Some shows would still be in english. [/quote]
That's why he didn't call it "Foreign Language Game Network" you moron.  Widen your perspective a little, and maybe you'll be able to graduate from middle school by 2012. [/quote]
 But he did.

now you want a mostly-traditional-gamer-and-all-in-another-language network? No, I dont see that working.

adamjk

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 01:34:17 PM »
The original GSN had far more than 1,000 viewers and it didn't work. Why would an international game show channel work, in English or otherwise? And you need to be more specific than "I would watch."

I think people might be interested in game shows that have aired in other countries. You know to see what game shows are like in other parts of the world, and how shows like Wheel of Fortune compare to our US counterparts

dzinkin

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2004, 01:37:11 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 22 2004, 01:34 PM\'] I think people might be interested in game shows that have aired in other countries. You know to see what game shows are like in other parts of the world, and how shows like Wheel of Fortune compare to our US counterparts [/quote]
Do you honestly believe that the number of people who want to "see what game shows are like in other parts of the world" is higher -- or even as high -- as the number of people who want to see game shows from the USA?  And I'm not talking about the number of people who want to see it once... for your idea to work, they'd have to want to see such shows regularly, or else your network won't sustain itself.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 01:38:27 PM by dzinkin »

adamjk

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2004, 01:38:51 PM »
You never know. After all, if people didn't want to see shows from other countries you wouldn't have a network like BBC America.

dzinkin

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2004, 01:40:33 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 22 2004, 01:38 PM\'] You never know. After all, if people didn't want to see shows from other countries you wouldn't have a network like BBC America. [/quote]
But BBC America airs a wide range of shows.  Do you really think it would have worked if it were all British game shows?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 01:42:26 PM by dzinkin »

gshowguy

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2004, 01:55:10 PM »
Unless the channel was called "BBC Game", NO.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 01:55:24 PM by gshowguy »

gshowguy

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2004, 01:59:20 PM »
Also, for now, if we were to do a channel dedicated to foreign game shows, I think I'd stick with shows from Australia, Canada, Great Britain, India (that's a maybe), Ireland, New Zealand, and South Africa. They all air game shows in English (India's version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire is in both Hindi and English).

dzinkin

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2004, 02:06:22 PM »
[quote name=\'gshowguy\' date=\'Aug 22 2004, 01:55 PM\'] Unless the channel was called "BBC Game", NO. [/quote]
 And you truly believe that if it WERE called "BBC Game," it would work?

Remember -- an all-British-game-show channel didn't work IN BRITAIN.  Why would it work here regardless of the title?