Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The big slide burn-out on PYL..  (Read 6363 times)

Steve Gavazzi

The big slide burn-out on PYL..
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2004, 08:52:35 PM »
[quote name=\'digiblader\' date=\'Aug 25 2004, 07:49 PM\'] Then how come they allowed that Round 2 in one ep. where everyone had only one puny spin each? [/quote]
 Maybe that's what made them realize they needed the "Idiot Questions."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2004, 09:20:57 PM »
[quote name=\'digiblader\' date=\'Aug 25 2004, 04:49 PM\'] Then how come they allowed that Round 2 in one ep. where everyone had only one puny spin each? [/quote]
 Since my name is not Mandel Ilagan, I cannot answer that question.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2004, 09:34:26 PM »
[quote name=\'digiblader\' date=\'Aug 25 2004, 07:49 PM\'] Then how come they allowed that Round 2 in one ep. where everyone had only one puny spin each? [/quote]
 It's their rules, it's their game show.

Maybe Todd Newton was particularly funny about it, or maybe they decided that just this once, it woudl be amusing to leave in the ineptitude.  Maybe, like someone else suggested, they added the rule later.  Whatever.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Don Howard

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2004, 10:33:38 PM »
[quote name=\'digiblader\' date=\'Aug 25 2004, 06:49 PM\'] Then how come they allowed that Round 2 in one ep. where everyone had only one puny spin each? [/quote]
It could be that the contestants were such inept blocks of waste that's the best they could do with even, as they were lovingly yet accurately described earlier, the "idiot questions".
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 10:34:08 PM by Don Howard »

uncamark

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2004, 02:46:08 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 25 2004, 05:13 PM\'][quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Aug 25 2004, 11:05 AM\'] This WAS a rule and it did happen a couple of times.  I remember one such instance where a disclaimer proceeded the end credits, and it said something to the effect of "because there weren't enough spins earned in round one, the round was played over". [/quote]
Also, I believe Mandel told us that on Whammy, if they didn't have a sufficient number of spins racked up by Question 3 or so of the Question Round, they went to a special set of Idiot Questions designed to "enhance" the spin counts. So it's not an uncommon thing.[/quote]
And I believe someone once said on this board that the original "PYL" did the exact same thing.  A light came on Tomarken's podium and he switched to the Idiot Stack.

sshuffield70

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2004, 02:52:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 25 2004, 08:34 PM\']It's their rules, it's their game show.
 [/quote]
I don't think they lived on 72 Whooping Cough Lane. :) :) :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 02:53:10 PM by sshuffield70 »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2004, 01:24:19 PM »
Then how come they allowed that Round 2 in one ep. where everyone had only one puny spin each?

I believe you're referring to a 1984 episode which has been run on GSN.  Even though each player only had one spin, Peter streched, and did a very long explanation of some of the squares on the board.  Also, the first player picked up two additional spins so the round wasn't as short as it could have been.

And I believe someone once said on this board that the original "PYL" did the exact same thing. A light came on Tomarken's podium and he switched to the Idiot Stack.

Yes, and quite frequently you could see it on the wide shot.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!