Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Internation game show network  (Read 5534 times)

dzinkin

Internation game show network
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2004, 02:09:50 PM »
[quote name=\'gshowguy\' date=\'Aug 22 2004, 01:59 PM\'] Also, for now, if we were to do a channel dedicated to foreign game shows, I think I'd stick with shows from Australia, Canada, Great Britain, India (that's a maybe), Ireland, New Zealand, and South Africa. They all air game shows in English (India's version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire is in both Hindi and English). [/quote]
 I repeat: why would Americans want to see a channel featuring nothing but game shows from other countries, when they didn't want a channel featuring nothing but game shows from the USA?

Instead of thinking about "what gshowguy wants to see," try considering what a significant part of America would want to see.

gshowguy

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2004, 02:15:03 PM »
Well, if the Beeb cared less about the crap we call "reality television" and just games in general, something like "BBC Game" would work.

Besides, some Ameican people may be interested in foreign game shows as much as American ones, like me. I mean, Australia is what REALLY made "$ale of the Century" a household name like what Great Britain is to "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire".

dzinkin

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2004, 02:17:51 PM »
[quote name=\'gshowguy\' date=\'Aug 22 2004, 02:15 PM\']Well, if the Beeb cared less about the crap we call "reality television" and just games in general, something like "BBC Game" would work.[/quote]
You're missing the point... AGAIN.  An all-British-game-show channel has already been tried IN BRITAIN and it didn't work.  Why would you want to do it over again?

Besides, some Ameican people may be interested in foreign game shows as much as American ones, like me. I mean, Australia is what REALLY made "$ale of the Century" a household name like what Great Britain is to "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire".
"Some," yes.  Do you truly believe that there are enough people like you to sustain such a network?  Be honest.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 02:29:21 PM by dzinkin »

JayDLewis

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2004, 11:08:46 PM »
Not adding creedence to the ridiculous notion of IGSN (bad idea, 100%) US gameshows air in many parts of the world and do quite well.

Survivor, the Amazing Race, Jeopardy!, The Price is Right...to name 4. (and I'm not talking about their own versions either)

Other english speaking countries are willing to sample programming from outside their own boundaries...why not the Yanks? American elitism?
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

Brig Bother

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2004, 06:19:34 AM »
Also, just to play Devil's advocate, Challenge TV's most popular show is Takeshi's Castle (Japanese), and World Poker Tour rates highly. And they're about to start showing foreign versions of Fort Boyard in October.

But I have to take issue with the BBC concentrating on "reality crap". It barely does any, really. DIY shows on the other hand...

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2004, 09:26:42 AM »
If such a channel takes off, why limit it to foreign shows?  They could show TJW or NYSI dubbed into Hindi.  --------:/
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

gshowguy

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2004, 09:43:11 AM »
I dunno. Who's wanted to wait for so long to hear Pat Finn say "First definition... next definition..." in Hindi?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2004, 09:49:13 AM »
[quote name=\'gshowguy\' date=\'Aug 23 2004, 08:43 AM\'] I dunno. Who's wanted to wait for so long to hear Pat Finn say "First definition... next definition..." in Hindi? [/quote]
 Hmm...Good point.

aaron sica

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2004, 09:50:45 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 23 2004, 09:26 AM\'] If such a channel takes off, why limit it to foreign shows?  They could show TJW or NYSI dubbed into Hindi.  --------:/ [/quote]
 Why not remake some shows for foreign markets! Think of the possibilities...

Remake WoF in Chinese - the used letter board would be REAL long, though..

gshowguy

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2004, 09:53:50 AM »
One smart thing you can do to Challenge TV, if you live in England, is to e-mail them that you want more game shows.

And speaking of WoF for the Chinese market, I doubt anyone would want to hear Pat Sajak speak Chinese. Making a Chinese version of WoF would be better in my opinion.

dzinkin

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2004, 10:00:48 AM »
[quote name=\'gshowguy\' date=\'Aug 23 2004, 09:53 AM\'] One smart thing you can do to Challenge TV, if you live in England, is to e-mail them that you want more game shows. [/quote]
One even smarter thing you can do is to realize that if more game shows would draw viewers, they'd have stayed with the all-game-show schedule they used to have.

Where DO you get the idea that your obsession is shared by enough people to make such a network viable?

And speaking of WoF for the Chinese market, I doubt anyone would want to hear Pat Sajak speak Chinese. Making a Chinese version of WoF would be better in my opinion.
I don't believe that anyone suggested having Pat Sajak speak Chinese.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 10:01:01 AM by dzinkin »

aaron sica

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2004, 11:51:59 AM »
[quote name=\'gshowguy\' date=\'Aug 23 2004, 09:53 AM\'] And speaking of WoF for the Chinese market, I doubt anyone would want to hear Pat Sajak speak Chinese. Making a Chinese version of WoF would be better in my opinion. [/quote]
 That is exactly what I had said in my post.

If you don't want to be branded an idiot, one thing you can do is make sure you READ EVERY POST.

Oh, wait - you've already done that - which explains reviving posts from the disco era.

Jay Temple

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2004, 01:23:20 AM »
Just want to repeat a thought I heard, probably on these boards:  What we think of as a cable channel has not succeeded when it aired exclusively "traditional game shows."  However, one day digital technology may give us all sorts of programming on demand.  It might be a new kind of cable, akin to PPV, or it might be Internet content, but it will be a bonanza for niche market viewers.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2004, 01:29:54 AM »
Does anybody remember having a cable channel in the mid-80's, possibly shared with another channel, with the variety-type Italian game shows?  We had it for a while here in Michigan, but I don't remember what it was called, nor did I tape it.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2004, 01:46:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 27 2004, 01:29 AM\'] Does anybody remember having a cable channel in the mid-80's, possibly shared with another channel, with the variety-type Italian game shows?  We had it for a while here in Michigan, but I don't remember what it was called, nor did I tape it. [/quote]
 Our cable provider's public access station used to air foreign language programming (primarily Russian and Italian), possibly through the same channel Jimmy mentioned.  Unfortunately, I don't recall the name of the network since it was over a decade ago, possibly over 15 years ago.  I remember the video and audio quality of the shows was horrible, like all programming on that channel was recorded on VHS tapes.