Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The big slide burn-out on PYL..  (Read 6369 times)

digiblader

The big slide burn-out on PYL..
« on: August 22, 2004, 11:14:15 PM »
As you know, GSN will be airing the neon slide eps. of PYL next weekend.

But on the Friday show of that week(airing on 8/29), the ep. where we NEARLY(sorry but some people got confused with want I said on the GSN forums about next weekend's shows.) have all three players whammy out(but thankfully someone did win.. no spoilers here.)

But on that show, I have heard that the Water Bike and one of the $1000+One Spin(and possibly $1500) slides got damaged to the point of being unusable.

How would the slides on the board get damaged so badly anyway?

I can't figure out how the slides would get destroyed like that.

(BTW, sorry for the poor grammar on the second sentence there.)

roadgeek

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 07:55:11 AM »
Power surge?  I suppose if a huge spike can ruin a hard drive, it could also zap a slide or two inside a projector.  I'm no electrician, but it seems like an electronic board of that size (using 1980's-era circuitry, no less) would invite these kinds of disasters.  Weren't these brand new slides that got zapped, too?  Figures.

tyshaun1

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 12:05:28 PM »
According to David Hammett (a former atgs'er) who was there for that particular taping, the "Water Bike" slide in square 10 burned out completely, which caused the board to freeze and made several other sqaures burn out as well. The show had to stop production for the rest of the day, and this is why you'll notice several other background colors change as well as a big edit toward the end of the game. The "Water Bike" prize was never seen again.......*sniff* *sniff* ;). This occured on the Sunday taping of the show, and these next two shows were actually taped AFTER the teen week.

adamjk

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 12:12:23 PM »
Was this the episode where Peter supposedly started cursing up a storm in the studio, and then left to go to lunch with Rod?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 12:58:45 PM by adamjk »

tyshaun1

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 12:37:58 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 23 2004, 11:12 AM\'] Was this the episode where Peter supposedly starting cursing up a storm in the studio, and then left to go to lunch with Rod? [/quote]
 Yep.

Tyshaun

dazztardly

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 05:47:45 AM »
[quote name=\'digiblader\' date=\'Aug 22 2004, 10:14 PM\'] As you know, GSN will be airing the neon slide eps. of PYL next weekend.

But on the Friday show of that week(airing on 8/29), the ep. where we NEARLY(sorry but some people got confused with want I said on the GSN forums about next weekend's shows.) have all three players whammy out(but thankfully someone did win.. no spoilers here.)

But on that show, I have heard that the Water Bike and one of the $1000+One Spin(and possibly $1500) slides got damaged to the point of being unusable.

How would the slides on the board get damaged so badly anyway?

I can't figure out how the slides would get destroyed like that.

(BTW, sorry for the poor grammar on the second sentence there.) [/quote]
 Being an electrician, I think what happened is a short might have caused a fault in one of the two slide projectors' "powerstrips"[if you noticed the projectors would sometime fade in/out off-sync, my only theory is that the slides power supply were split off into two outputs for voltage reasons].   A surge of juice flew into the projectors, detonating the lightbulbs, therefore damaging the slides.

-Dan

adamjk

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 06:50:50 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Aug 23 2004, 11:05 AM\'] According to David Hammett (a former atgs'er) who was there for that particular taping, the "Water Bike" slide in square 10 burned out completely, which caused the board to freeze and made several other sqaures burn out as well. The show had to stop production for the rest of the day, and this is why you'll notice several other background colors change as well as a big edit toward the end of the game. The "Water Bike" prize was never seen again.......*sniff* *sniff* ;). This occured on the Sunday taping of the show, and these next two shows were actually taped AFTER the teen week. [/quote]
 One question, did the big burn out happen in round 1, or round 2? If it happened in round 1, I don't see why they couldn't have just scrapped the episode and started fresh at the next taping.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 06:54:17 PM »
You just answered your own question.

It had to have been round 2, because the Water Bike and the $1000+one spin have never been used on the board in round 1.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 08:06:34 PM »
I'm not sure what's scarier, discussing this issue like it's a natural disaster, or the logic you just used to refute Adam's notion. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 09:34:51 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 24 2004, 06:50 PM\'] One question, did the big burn out happen in round 1, or round 2? If it happened in round 1, I don't see why they couldn't have just scrapped the episode and started fresh at the next taping. [/quote]
 You can't do that because what if one of the contestants that was in that game was in the lead when it was scrapped. And when they started over, they didn't win... but they could have potentially won if the game had been continued from it's point to where it stopped. Your suggestion would potentially be such a nightmare that it isn't worthy of consideration.

Thanks, and now I'll step off my soapbox.

ITSBRY

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 09:50:03 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Aug 24 2004, 08:34 PM\']You can't do that because what if one of the contestants that was in that game was in the lead when it was scrapped. And when they started over, they didn't win... but they could have potentially won if the game had been continued from it's point to where it stopped.[/quote]
I recall reading something about the PYL rule book which stated that if an appropriate amount of spins hadn't been earned, the round could be scrapped and replayed.

Would S&P have kittens in a situation like this where a malfunction stopped taping?  I know they didn't replay in this particular case, but would it be acceptable?

I guess a better question is, can a show do anything they want with the game (short of rigging it) as long as the contestants are told before hand about the rules?  I would guess that players have to read or sign a disclaimer of some kind.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 09:51:55 PM by ITSBRY »

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2004, 10:01:47 PM »
I recall reading something about the PYL rule book which stated that if an appropriate amount of spins hadn't been earned, the round could be scrapped and replayed.

I don't think this is true, and if it is, that is a STUPID rule. Why try to hide emarassment of the contestant coordinators for picking such dumb contestants in the first place? I for one would get a laugh out of it, just like a dumb answer on Family Feud.... or Lana on PYL's college week, per se.

Would S&P have kittens in a situation like this where a malfunction stopped taping? I know they didn't replay in this particular case, but would it be acceptable?

I guess a better question is, can a show do anything they want with the game (short of rigging it) as long as the contestants are told before hand about the rules? I would guess that players have to read or sign a disclaimer of some kind.

I don't think they can stop the game then start over, that is just not good practice in any setting. I mean, supposing that you're in a pennant race in baseball and all of a sudden the rules say that you start a game over which was stop in say the 8th or 9th inning because of extraneous circumstances (i.e. rain), and started over again and you lost that game, wouldn't you tend to feel that that is unfair and you should pick it up from where you start over?

Hence the whole idea of picking the game back up from where you leave off.

Again, I concede the soapbox...

adamjk

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2004, 10:07:45 PM »
I don't think they can stop the game then start over, that is just not good practice in any setting. I mean, supposing that you're in a pennant race in baseball and all of a sudden the rules say that you start a game over which was stop in say the 8th or 9th inning because of extraneous circumstances (i.e. rain), and started over again and you lost that game, wouldn't you tend to feel that that is unfair and you should pick it up from where you start over?

That can happen in baseball. If a certain number of innings have not been played (5 full innings), and rain stops play for that day, then the game does not count. Once it is an offical game though, if rain stops it, and they are unable to finish the game, then whoever is leading wins.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 10:19:46 PM by adamjk »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2004, 10:12:59 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 24 2004, 09:07 PM\']

That can happen in baseball. If a certain number of innings have not been played (4 and a half I do believe), and rain stops play for that day, then the game does not count. Once it is an offical game though, if rain stops it, and they are unable to finish the game, then whoever is leading wins. [/quote]
 Which shows your lack of knowledge about something else.

National Federation rules provide that the umpire may suspend the game in the event of power failure or weather.
From MLB.com; here is rule 4.12.5 from the official MLB Rule Book:
 (5) Weather, if the game is called while an inning is in progress and before it is completed, and one of the following situations prevails: (i) The visiting team has scored one or more runs to tie the score, and the home team has not scored. (ii) The visiting team has scored one or more runs to take the lead, and the home team has not tied the score or retaken the lead.
More here:
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official...start_end_4.jsp
I see nothing about a game being scratched.
Go play with your Furbie.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

adamjk

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2004, 10:17:02 PM »
Here's proof right here: Rule 4.10 letter e states the following:
(e) If a game is called before it has become a regulation game, the umpire shall declare it "No Game."