Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Don't know about y'all  (Read 2767 times)

ITSBRY

Don't know about y'all
« on: August 24, 2004, 09:37:28 PM »
"On The Cover" and "Balderdash"...particularly OTC.  Walberg does a great job and I think the set is beautiful.

Two very "retro" looking shows...it's very cool that PAX took a chance.  I know the chances of their surviving are probably slim, but I'm rootin for 'em.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

adamjk

Don't know about y'all
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 09:41:00 PM »
I like them both, but I do enjoy On the Cover more. I especially like the fake magazine round.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Don't know about y'all
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 09:52:59 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 24 2004, 06:41 PM\'] I like them both, but I do enjoy On the Cover more. I especially like the fake magazine round. [/quote]
 I appreciate that they no longer beat you over the head with the gags during the Parody Round like they did on those first couple of shows. They leave the viewer to figure them out for themselves, which allows you that nice "aha!" moment, and then an appreciative groan. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Don't know about y'all
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 10:06:41 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 24 2004, 09:52 PM\'] I appreciate that they no longer beat you over the head with the gags during the Parody Round like they did on those first couple of shows. They leave the viewer to figure them out for themselves, which allows you that nice "aha!" moment, and then an appreciative groan. :) [/quote]
 One of the writers told me about a set of three Parody Round covers that they never got around to doing, mostly because they had a hard time locating a picture for the third subject.  The subjects:

George Michael
Emeril Lagasse
Judith Martin ("Miss Manners")

Any ideas?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

sshuffield70

Don't know about y'all
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 10:27:15 PM »
That's too easy.....

Wham!  Bam!  Thank you, Ma'am!

MikeK

• Martha!
Don't know about y'all
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 10:32:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 24 2004, 10:06 PM\'] One of the writers told me about a set of three Parody Round covers that they never got around to doing, mostly because they had a hard time locating a picture for the third subject.  The subjects:

George Michael
Emeril Lagasse

Any ideas? [/quote]
Wham!  Bam!  Thank you, ma'am?

Edit:  Shuffield beat me to the punch.  Well done, sir.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 10:33:36 PM by hmtriplecrown »

JayC

Don't know about y'all
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 10:36:20 PM »
I've only seen 1 bonus round of On the Cover.  Pretty cool bonus round.  Balderdash is good, but it could be a little better.  Espically the bonus round, it's a little uninspired.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Don't know about y'all
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 10:36:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Aug 24 2004, 09:06 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 24 2004, 09:52 PM\'] I appreciate that they no longer beat you over the head with the gags during the Parody Round like they did on those first couple of shows. They leave the viewer to figure them out for themselves, which allows you that nice "aha!" moment, and then an appreciative groan. :) [/quote]
One of the writers told me about a set of three Parody Round covers that they never got around to doing, mostly because they had a hard time locating a picture for the third subject.  The subjects:

George Michael
Emeril Lagasse

Any ideas? [/quote]
<Horshack>Oooh, ooh, oooh, oooh!<end/Horshack>

I won't spoil it by revealing it (especially since Steve and Mike both beat me to the punch) but as far as where to find a good photo of Judith Martin, I found one here.

Doug
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 10:39:11 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Don't know about y'all
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 11:18:34 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Aug 24 2004, 07:27 PM\'] That's too easy.....

Wham!  Bam!  Thank you, Ma'am! [/quote]
 See, that is REALLY funny. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

Don't know about y'all
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 04:12:53 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Aug 24 2004, 09:36 PM\']I won't spoil it by revealing it (especially since Steve and Mike both beat me to the punch) but as far as where to find a good photo of Judith Martin, I found one here.[/quote]
Which is copyrighted by the photographer, who would probably ask for a lot more money than Getty Images or Wide World or wherever "On the Cover" gets the photos from.

(I realize, of course, that they pay the magazines' owners for using the real covers, probably with a blanket deal.  It probably helps them that they have a fee plug deal with Time-Life Direct, even if they are separate divisions of Time Warner.)

itiparanoid13

Don't know about y'all
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2004, 04:16:08 PM »
I enjoy both shows.  On The Cover is more for me, though.  I am a pop culture freak, so I can play along better with that.  One of the things that annoys me on Balderdash is the sheer stupidity of the contestants.  I have seen most episodes where the celebrities far and away trump the contestant's base of knowledge.  Still, however, neither of those shows hold a flame to Dirty Rotten Cheater.