Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Spin-off?  (Read 7892 times)

catkins522

Game Show Spin-off?
« on: August 29, 2004, 04:47:50 AM »
With all of the comdey and drama tv show, ie Fact of the Life was the spin-off of Differnt Strokes, NCSI was the spin-off on CSI, is there any game show(s) that spins-off to another game show pilot or show?

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 04:48:30 AM »
[quote name=\'catkins522\' date=\'Aug 29 2004, 03:47 AM\'] With all of the comdey and drama tv show, ie Fact of the Life was the spin-off of Differnt Strokes, NCSI was the spin-off on CSI, is there any game show(s) that spins-off to another game show pilot or show?

Charles [/quote]
 Well, some have said that "Family Feud" is a deriative of Match Game's "supermatch"...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 06:51:22 AM »
"$64,000 Challenge" was a spinoff off "$64,000 Question", which you might say was a spinoff of radio's "Take It or Leave It."  You could probably put Sat Morn kids versions of weekday shows in this category-"Kideo Village," "Storybook Squares." and JJJ!   One show that did not have a spinoff was "Spin-Off."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

gshowguy

Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2004, 08:38:01 AM »
We can include "College Mad House" to the list, as it was a "Fun House" spin-off.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 09:06:17 AM »
Although they're better left forgotten, you could probably count the kids' version of J!, "Jep!", and its sister show, the infamous "Wheel 2000".
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 09:07:41 AM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

SamJ93

Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2004, 10:02:38 AM »
Going through the trusty Encyclopedia...

-"Honeymoon Race" was a spinoff of the original "Supermarket Sweep" set in a shopping mall

-Art James' "Say When!" was apparently a derivative of the original PiR.

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Jimmy Owen

Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2004, 10:27:28 AM »
I would just count shows that ran concurrently with the original.  "Honeymoon Race" was sort of a retooling of SS.  What about the once-a-week syndie prime access shows of the '70s? Could any be called spinoffs?

Don Howard

Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2004, 01:01:08 PM »
Go was most certainly a spin-off of the Chain Reaction Instant Reaction bonus round. As opposed to the garbage from the Canadian version starring Blake Emmons, Geoff Edwards and Rod Shallowbwaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

aaron sica

Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2004, 01:43:37 PM »
[quote name=\'gshowguy\' date=\'Aug 29 2004, 08:38 AM\'] We can include "College Mad House" to the list, as it was a "Fun House" spin-off. [/quote]
 No, we can't.

A "spin-off", at least in game show terms, is a segment of one show that a new show is made out of. For example, as was said, the bonus round of "Chain Reaction" was taken and made as the centerpiece in "Go!".

"College Mad House" is not a spinoff of "Fun House" because the game is basically the same, except that college students are playing and not teens/tweens..

adamjk

Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2004, 02:16:54 PM »
I know this is gonna sound strange, but in a way, Double Dare is a spin off of Price is Right then, as they have 6 obstacles in the obstacle course that changed each show, just like Price has 6 pricing games that change daily.

Jimmy Owen

Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2004, 02:25:17 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 29 2004, 01:16 PM\'] I know this is gonna sound strange, but in a way, Double Dare is a spin off of Price is Right then, as they have 6 obstacles in the obstacle course that changed each show, just like Price has 6 pricing games that change daily. [/quote]
Marc Summers always did idolize Bob Barker.  I'm not totally sure we're all on the same page what constituted a "spin-off"  I'm of the opinion that the shows have to be directly related to the parent show and billed as such.  On a show like "Go!," while they did utilize the CR bonus round, no mention was ever made of CR on "Go!"
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 02:31:16 PM by Jimmy Owen »

aaron sica

Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2004, 02:30:55 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 29 2004, 02:16 PM\'] I know this is gonna sound strange, but in a way, Double Dare is a spin off of Price is Right then, as they have 6 obstacles in the obstacle course that changed each show, just like Price has 6 pricing games that change daily. [/quote]
This I disagree with you with.....

As I had said, a spin-off is taking an element of one show, and putting it by itself on its own show.

For example, this fall, the character of Joey Tribbiani from "Friends" is being given his own show, "Joey". That is a spin-off.

In game shows, the bonus round of "Chain Reaction", in which clues are fed one word, one person at a time, was the main part of "Go!" in which clues are fed one word, one person at a time. THAT is a spin-off.

While DD is *like* TPiR in the sense that it has obstacles that rotate vs. games that rotate, in no way it is a spinoff of TPiR.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 02:58:12 PM by aaron sica »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2004, 02:51:11 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Aug 29 2004, 11:16 AM\'] I know this is gonna sound strange, but in a way, Double Dare is a spin off of Price is Right then, as they have 6 obstacles in the obstacle course that changed each show, just like Price has 6 pricing games that change daily. [/quote]
...and Barker had a secretary named O'Connell, and O'Connell had a secretary named Barker....

..."Strange" isn't the word that popped into my head.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it's not only idiotic, it's flat wrong, since the DD course was _eight_ obstacles....
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 02:52:21 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2004, 02:58:48 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 29 2004, 02:51 PM\'] EDIT: Now that I think about it, it's not only idiotic, it's flat wrong, since the DD course was _eight_ obstacles.... [/quote]
 I can't believe I didn't catch that when I replied to him. Thank you. I've updated my post as such..

adamjk

Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2004, 03:02:27 PM »
Now that I think about it, it's not only idiotic, it's flat wrong, since the DD course was _eight_ obstacles

I must have been out of it then I guess. It didn't even occur to me that DD had 8. My apologies.