Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The damaged PYL slides  (Read 3918 times)

Sonic Whammy

The damaged PYL slides
« on: August 29, 2004, 09:56:57 PM »
Hey, gang. Finally found this place again. Good to be back.

And back from Florida after successfully capturing 250,000 in WWTBAM Play It! in Disney. Yes, I know, big deal, I didn't get the Bahamas cruise and the exhibit disappears in December, but I tried my best. But more on that later.

I know everyone's seen the infamous PYL ep by now that aired today on GSN, with the $1500 and Water Bike slides getting messed up in the screen explosion. I know that in the grand scheme of things, the $1500 wasn't that big of a loss, because they had others from the opening board, and ultimately, that green $1500 was seen again in Round 1 for the rest of the series.

But the Water Bike is the one that has me and a couple friends curious. How come they never decided to replace it and make a new one?

Thoughts to ponder. I'll see you guys around.

Stay Way Past Cool!

Brian Sapinski
The Sonic Whammy
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

digiblader

The damaged PYL slides
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 11:12:39 PM »
I guess the people working for PYL wanted to cut the budget and didn't bother bringing back the Water Bike(as it was $3435)

You've noticed they recently got rid of $2250 and $1750 ever since the new colors debuted(even despite the fact they had a $1750 slide on the demo board!)

Also, many other prizes were soon to debut anyway(like Madrid, Portugal, and others.)

So some prizes had to go.. like the Golf Clubs, Kauai, Hilo, and the Water Bike..

Sonic Whammy

The damaged PYL slides
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 11:24:48 PM »
I guess you're right on that one. And not having the $1750 and $2250 up started to ruin the money possibilities on the board, too, which was a shame. The only thing I liked at this point was that we finally had two $500 and a Spin's in Round 2 again, a square I always thought was underappreciated.

Nevertheless, still kind of sucks to see the Water Bike suffer the fate that it did...
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

tyshaun1

The damaged PYL slides
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2004, 11:49:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' date=\'Aug 29 2004, 10:24 PM\'] Nevertheless, still kind of sucks to see the Water Bike suffer the fate that it did... [/quote]
 Ladies and gentlemen, a moment of silence for the beloved 1985 Water Bike.

Thank you, and God bless.

Tyshaun

(Me thinks they began to get rid of the more obscure (and expensive) prizes to help with the prize budget, as it was severely cut along with the color change)

GS Warehouse

The damaged PYL slides
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 11:59:17 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Aug 29 2004, 11:49 PM\'] Ladies and gentlemen, a moment of silence for the beloved 1985 Water Bike. [/quote]
 OK, that is just plain ridiculous.  However, I'm too upset to pick nits, after hearing that Laura Branigan died this morning.

gameshowguy2000

The damaged PYL slides
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 12:17:39 AM »
Well, even if it's gone, I'm glad it was won at least once. Or was it won at all?

dazztardly

The damaged PYL slides
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 12:18:21 AM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Aug 29 2004, 10:49 PM\'] [quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' date=\'Aug 29 2004, 10:24 PM\'] Nevertheless, still kind of sucks to see the Water Bike suffer the fate that it did... [/quote]
Ladies and gentlemen, a moment of silence for the beloved 1985 Water Bike.

Thank you, and God bless.

Tyshaun

(Me thinks they began to get rid of the more obscure (and expensive) prizes to help with the prize budget, as it was severely cut along with the color change) [/quote]
 (*plays passed spin chime 10 times) lol

I watched it as well and couldn't really tell the difference from any visible damage, honestly.

Ian Wallis

The damaged PYL slides
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 09:15:29 AM »
The only thing I liked at this point was that we finally had two $500 and a Spin's in Round 2 again, a square I always thought was underappreciated.

With the addition of the extra spin in Square 1, there were certain times where the whole left side of the board offered an extra spin.

Around June 1986 those extra spins started to be cut back, as $500 + One Spin was replaced with a straight $700.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

tyshaun1

The damaged PYL slides
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 10:35:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Aug 30 2004, 08:15 AM\'] With the addition of the extra spin in Square 1, there were certain times where the whole left side of the board offered an extra spin.

Around June 1986 those extra spins started to be cut back, as $500 + One Spin was replaced with a straight $700. [/quote]
 The show was obviously going for more dramatic finales (which had been lacking for the last few months), adding + one spin spaces all over the board to create those infamous spin battles without giving away too much money. It also served as a another sneaky way to cut the prize budget. By mid '86 the show was pretty much toast, so they cut the extra spins too.

Tyshaun

P.S.- Thanks, Ian, for the tape, it was great!

J.R.

The damaged PYL slides
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2004, 06:24:48 PM »
I believe the $500+ in Square 1 was removed when someone hit "Pick a Corner" and the options were "$500+, $500+, $1250".

Same for the $1400 in Square 10 when "PaC" came up "$1400, $500+, $1400". Which was replaced with $1000.

They lated added a spinless $1500 to Square 15. So you could have a "PaC" possiblity of "$700, $1500, $1000".

And "Move 1 Space" could have possbilites like: "$1000+ or $1000" and "$1500 or $500".

Someone explain to me why we had these wierd combnations on the Big Board.
-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The damaged PYL slides
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2004, 06:33:27 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Aug 30 2004, 03:24 PM\'] Someone explain to me why we had these wierd combnations on the Big Board.
 [/quote]
 My guess is, they never thought someone would be psychoanalyzing the hell out of it twenty years later. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

roadgeek

The damaged PYL slides
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 12:22:53 AM »
*opens mouth*

You think that's "psychoanalyzing the hell out of it"?  I made a page about this:
http://web.bvunet.net/~csyoder/articles/pac.html
I win.

*inserts foot*

whampyl03

The damaged PYL slides
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 02:58:21 AM »
*opens mouth*

You think that's "psychoanalyzing the hell out of it"? I made a page about this:
http://web.bvunet.net/~csyoder/articles/pac.html
I win.

*inserts foot*

Geez.  Maybe we should all pitch in and send you a Flokati Rug for your efforts, perhaps?

Nice page, though.  Great work.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 03:12:20 AM by whampyl03 »

HYHYBT

The damaged PYL slides
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2004, 09:33:03 AM »
Someone explain to me why we had these wierd combinations on the Big Board.

I'd rather hear why they *shouldn't* have such combinations pop up once in a while with stuff like Pick-a-Corner. Sure, there are more strategic options with, say, a prize of unknown value, a high cash amount with no spin, and a lower one with a spin. But the occasional choice between two of the same thing, or big or little bucks, or even money or a Whammy hurts nothing and adds another instant of humor.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

Clay Zambo

The damaged PYL slides
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2004, 09:44:57 AM »
Not sure whether to think you have too much time on your hands for creating that page or I do for looking at it.

Wow.
czambo@mac.com