Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MTV Game Show  (Read 6720 times)

Brig Bother

MTV Game Show
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2004, 10:20:30 AM »
Can I just ask who hosts this?

The UK version was hosted by current US television comedy sensation Jimmy Carr and June Sarpong, who you won't know.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
MTV Game Show
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2004, 11:45:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Sep 1 2004, 07:20 AM\'] The UK version was hosted by current US television comedy sensation Jimmy Carr [/quote]
 THAT is a name I need to throw in my Tivo, in case he shows up on any of the late-night talk shows in the near future. He is a FUNNY, funny man.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brig Bother

MTV Game Show
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2004, 12:05:18 PM »
That's interesting. I suspect he's waaaay more popular over there than he is over here.

He can do a good joke, but I find him a bit mediawhore so I can't warm to him.

You might be interested to note that he first found fame on rubbish nightly "satirical" Channel 4 programme "The 11 O Clock Show", which also launched the careers of Ricky Gervais offof The Office and Sacha Baron-Cohen AKA Ali G. It's impressive and baffling that they've gone on to better things (other than Ali G, who was always "the good one off of The 11 O Clock Show").

tommycharles

MTV Game Show
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2004, 12:20:12 PM »
I don't know... I saw Carr on Question Time while I was in the UK recently, and again on Sports Relief... he seems to be a funny guy, but there's nothing that seems to be *his*, you know? It's one of those situations where his jokes are funny but there's nothing I've heard out of him that I haven't heard better out of Paul Merton.

tvwxman

MTV Game Show
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2004, 04:56:58 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 1 2004, 10:45 AM\']
THAT is a name I need to throw in my Tivo, in case he shows up on any of the late-night talk shows in the near future. He is a FUNNY, funny man. [/quote]
 Is this not the guy hosting "distraction" for comedy central?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
MTV Game Show
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2004, 05:05:01 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Sep 1 2004, 01:56 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 1 2004, 10:45 AM\']
THAT is a name I need to throw in my Tivo, in case he shows up on any of the late-night talk shows in the near future. He is a FUNNY, funny man. [/quote]
Is this not the guy hosting "distraction" for comedy central? [/quote]
 The very same, I do believe.

Tommy, my guess is that Carr's style of comedy might not be original in the UK, but we don't see much of that here aside from stuff like Steven Wright, who is also a funny man, but the difference between him and Carr is that you don't want to slit your wrists after seeing Carr. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

MTV Game Show
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2004, 06:16:16 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 1 2004, 04:05 PM\'] but the difference between him and Carr is that you don't want to slit your wrists after seeing Carr. :) [/quote]
 Please don't give the producers any ideas for "distraction"s.
-------------

Matt

Brig Bother

MTV Game Show
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2004, 04:59:00 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 1 2004, 09:05 PM\'] [quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Sep 1 2004, 01:56 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 1 2004, 10:45 AM\']
Is this not the guy hosting "distraction" for comedy central? [/QUOTE]
The very same, I do believe.

Tommy, my guess is that Carr's style of comedy might not be original in the UK, but we don't see much of that here aside from stuff like Steven Wright, who is also a funny man, but the difference between him and Carr is that you don't want to slit your wrists after seeing Carr. :) [/quote]
 Yes, and he hosted our version as well (which I'm gathering is rather harsher than what they're going to put contestants through on the US show).

I think he'd be more likable if he picked his vehicles a bit better. He should, of course, use a bike.

I wonder how much of his popularity over there is down to his quaint plummy accent?

tvwxman

MTV Game Show
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2004, 06:11:24 AM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Sep 2 2004, 03:59 AM\']
Yes, and he hosted our version as well (which I'm gathering is rather harsher than what they're going to put contestants through on the US show).

I think he'd be more likable if he picked his vehicles a bit better. He should, of course, use a bike.

I wonder how much of his popularity over there is down to his quaint plummy accent? [/quote]
 I'd bet money that Jimmy Carr is hosting Distraction because no one in their right mind here would want to be associated with it...

I'm fairly serious here. One of the reasons the Weakest Link took so dang long to find a syndie host, was because many celebs were concerned that being a 'mean, insulting' host would hurt their careers in the long runs... Local affils were none too happy that they had bought a show that had no host until a mere 2 months before the premiere!

Did Comedy Central have difficulty linking a host to Distraction cause of it's sadistic nature?

Jimmy may be perfect for Distraction...by default!
-------------

Matt

Brig Bother

MTV Game Show
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2004, 06:27:53 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Sep 2 2004, 10:11 AM\']
I'd bet money that Jimmy Carr is hosting Distraction because no one in their right mind here would want to be associated with it...

Did Comedy Central have difficulty linking a host to Distraction cause of it's sadistic nature?

Jimmy may be perfect for Distraction...by default! [/quote]
 Thats quite interesting. I suspect in truth it's much simpler than that. Carr is flavour of the month at the moment and he wants to break America. Comedy Central offer him the role he already does anyway so they can be associated with him... everyone's a winner really.