Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Winnings and Quiz Bowl  (Read 4580 times)

mmb5

Game Show Winnings and Quiz Bowl
« on: August 30, 2004, 08:16:03 PM »
NAQT, the group I belong to and supplier of questions to academic competitions, among them Matt O's Quizbusters is trying to compile a list of anyone who played both quiz bowl in either high school or college and appeared on a national game show.

The show can be international, but should not be your local version of It's Academic.  Please either respond here (in case other people want to know the answer) or E-mail mmb5@earthlink.net

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 08:30:47 PM »
I'm close, but I *think* Pittsburgh's Hometown High Q is a version of It's Academic.

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 08:41:05 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Aug 30 2004, 08:30 PM\'] I'm close, but I *think* Pittsburgh's Hometown High Q is a version of It's Academic. [/quote]
 I do believe the poster is looking for *people* who played their local quiz bowl show, not a list of shows.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 08:42:47 PM »
Yes, I realize that. I meant I'm close to meeting those criteria, having been on High Q and Millionaire.

aaron sica

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 08:46:48 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Aug 30 2004, 08:42 PM\'] Yes, I realize that. I meant I'm close to meeting those criteria, having been on High Q and Millionaire. [/quote]
 Very cool! My mistake.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 09:02:47 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Aug 30 2004, 08:42 PM\'] Yes, I realize that. I meant I'm close to meeting those criteria, having been on High Q and Millionaire. [/quote]
 Actually, Steve, I believe you fit the criteria perfectly.  Mike is looking for people who were part of their high school quiz bowl teams AND appeared on some -- for lack of a better term -- "real" game show.  What he doesn't want is people who ONLY appeared on whatever local TV game your high school might have been  involved with.

In other words, he's looking for people EXACTLY like you!

What he didn't mention is that NAQT is now home to the two biggest money-winners in game show history, who both also happen to fit those criteria.  I don't think this group needs any clues as to who THEY are.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

goongas

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 10:57:21 PM »
Amanda Goadwas a member of the Governor's School team who won the (Questions Unlimited) National Academic Championship (national high school) championship.  She also won the J! Teen Tournament.

While looking up Amanda Goad's information, I stumbled upon this, a question about QuizBusters:

Question about QuizBusters
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 11:06:12 PM by goongas »

rigsby

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 11:20:06 PM »
Does being a phone-in player on Inquizition count?  I guess I didn't actually "appear"...

If that doesn't work (or even if it does), Matt Kane, who played for one of our main rivals, appeared in the 1992 J! Teen Tournament.  I don't remember how he did (I believe he at least made the semis), but I do remember that he always bet on DD's such that his score would end with $13.

And Matt O...I don't know if you remember Matt Bruce, who was on another HS rival team; he was in your taping group for J! but did not get to go on the show at that time because of his NAQT connection to KJ.  (I have not heard what has happened since then...)

tommycharles

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 11:52:33 PM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Aug 30 2004, 09:57 PM\'] While looking up Amanda Goad's information, I stumbled upon this, a question about QuizBusters:

Question about QuizBusters [/quote]
 Yeah, I hear that Mike Ottinger is a decent host....

tomobrien

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 10:04:07 AM »
Captained our HS's "It's Academic" team (or the way we played, "Anemic" would have been more appropriate), then on to J! and Millionaire.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 11:02:19 AM »
[quote name=\'rigsby\' date=\'Aug 30 2004, 11:20 PM\'] And Matt O...I don't know if you remember Matt Bruce, who was on another HS rival team; he was in your taping group for J! but did not get to go on the show at that time because of his NAQT connection to KJ.  (I have not heard what has happened since then...) [/quote]
I remember Matt very well.  He actually figured out the connection between me, QB and NAQT before Ken did.  I felt bad for him, coming to taping after taping waiting for his chance to play but unable to play until Ken loses.  I imagine at some point they sent him home and told him they'd call when Ken's adventure ends.

Still, on the bright side, imagine how many contestants have arrived in Culver City, seen what they were up against, and PRAYED that they wouldn't have to play Ken.  A dream deferred is better than a dream crushed.

Question about QuizBusters
Excuse me, Mike Ottinger?  Happens to be the name of my kid brother, but still...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 11:05:06 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

mmb5

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 12:50:34 PM »
For the people who have answered "yes", I need you're specific high school or college and your results on your game show appearances as well, if you can remember them.

--Mike
« Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 12:52:26 PM by mmb5 »
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 01:29:36 PM »
Okay, if I count, that's Giant Eagle Hometown High Q on KDKA in Pittsburgh, where I captained the Oil City Senior High School team to the 2000-01 season championship, and Millionaire, where I walked with $16,000 on the show aired 4/15/04.

rigsby

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2004, 02:16:26 PM »
Again, if it counts for anything:

Played for Jenks HS (Okla) 1990-92 (took second in state both school years, went to Questions Unlimited national tourney 1991), was a phone-in contestant on a 7/29/1999 rerun of Inquizition and won $250.

As for the other people I mentioned, Matt Kane played for Tulsa Memorial (again, I don't remember his J! results, but maybe someone else will), and Matt Bruce played for Tulsa Washington (and, I believe, for Harvard).

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2004, 02:43:46 PM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Aug 30 2004, 09:57 PM\'] While looking up Amanda Goad's information, I stumbled upon this, a question about QuizBusters:

Question about QuizBusters [/quote]
 Yes, but I must wonder, who is this "Mike Ottinger" guy? Is he hiding in Matt's attic or something? I think someone has some explaining to do.

(Grassy Knoll theories begin now.)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!