Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New 10/11 Schedule  (Read 10970 times)

CaseyAbell

New 10/11 Schedule
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2004, 08:54:00 AM »
I agree with Matt that Celeb Blackjack is reminiscent of the panel shows from the 50s and 60s...something like I've Got a Secret, only with far more emphasis on the gameplay and wider, er, latitude in the comments of the participants. Since IGaS is one of my all-time faves, it's not surprising that Celeb Blackjack also rates high with me. The finale, with Caroline Rhea going over the top of the top in sheer obnoxiousness, was indescribably delicious. I'm really looking forward to the second series.

Dodgeball is such a goof that it always gets a smile from me. To be honest, though, there are occasional bits of genuine athleticism which help leaven the humor. A nice combo of sport and comedy.

I always liked Beat the Clock, so my affection for the pumped-up version (a.k.a. Dog Eat Dog) is no surprise. Brooke is nice to look at and can lead cheers, though her conversational abilities are not striking. The show moves along well and the challenges are usually interesting.

Street Smarts is a clever offshoot of MG and Feud, via Leno's goof-in-the-street segments. Lots of laughs, nice pace, likeable host.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 08:56:49 AM by CaseyAbell »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
New 10/11 Schedule
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2004, 11:43:57 AM »
[quote name=\'MyCapableAssistant\' date=\'Sep 3 2004, 05:32 AM\'] Besides, I've also read that the reason Chuck holds onto
Stacy at the end of Lingo is to conceal the "battery pack" that
she's wearing onstage. [/quote]
 If by "battery pack", you mean "her ass", then yes, this is likely the case. ;)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

New 10/11 Schedule
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2004, 11:46:18 AM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Sep 3 2004, 05:54 AM\'] Brooke is nice to look at and can lead cheers, though her conversational abilities are not striking. The show moves along well and the challenges are usually interesting.
 [/quote]
 The thing about DED is, IIRC, that Brooke got NOTICABLY better between Seasons 1 and 2, in terms of overall hosting and banter and what not. So I wonder if you're seeing Season 1 shows, and if you'll be able to pick out when the changeover happens.

MyCapableAssistant

New 10/11 Schedule
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2004, 11:50:40 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 3 2004, 09:43 AM\'] [quote name=\'MyCapableAssistant\' date=\'Sep 3 2004, 05:32 AM\'] Besides, I've also read that the reason Chuck holds onto
Stacy at the end of Lingo is to conceal the "battery pack" that
she's wearing onstage. [/quote]
If by "battery pack", you mean "her ass", then yes, this is likely the case. ;) [/quote]
 Heh -

If THAT's the "battery pack" she has, I would think she has
that coming AND going!

CaseyAbell

New 10/11 Schedule
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2004, 03:00:22 PM »
Really haven't seen too much difference in Brooke's second-season performance on the Dog. She can still read the cards and yell, "go, girlfriend," but I can't remember a single clever ad-lib from either season.

Not that Dog Eat Dog needs clever ad-libs. They might actually work against the emphasis on the stunts.

uncamark

New 10/11 Schedule
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2004, 05:03:37 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 3 2004, 10:46 AM\'][quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Sep 3 2004, 05:54 AM\'] Brooke is nice to look at and can lead cheers, though her conversational abilities are not striking. The show moves along well and the challenges are usually interesting.
 [/quote]
The thing about DED is, IIRC, that Brooke got NOTICABLY better between Seasons 1 and 2, in terms of overall hosting and banter and what not. So I wonder if you're seeing Season 1 shows, and if you'll be able to pick out when the changeover happens.[/quote]
They're back in Season 1 right now.

The other noticeable difference in seasons other than Brooke's performance--the more lead-footed, overly obvious sweetening on *every little thing* (and I guess there actually was an audience in the studio both seasons--they just got covered up by the canned version).

CaseyAbell

New 10/11 Schedule
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2004, 11:24:59 PM »
The Prof is grumping about GSN again. I know he can't be bothered to look at the schedule, but this is getting silly. GSN is "tilting to an end of the traditional game show" by running Match Game 32 times a week? Family Feud 15 times a week? Millionaire 13 times a week? Maybe the Prof is tilting a little himself.

In fact, GSN is bringing back all sorts of older traditional game shows: Perry Card Sharks, Hollywood Showdown, All New 3's a Crud, MG 90, Name's the Same, even some eps of Number Please, Play Your Hunch, and Winner Take All. (As you can probably tell, one of these recalls doesn't please me very much.)

Meanwhile, the "game operas" and dating shows the Prof always rants about are disappearing from the network: Mole, Average Joe, Fake-a-Date, Vegas Weddings.

You'd think he'd be happy that the network is moving in his direction. He's still ticked over Boden's departure, I guess.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 01:04:02 AM by CaseyAbell »

Winkfan

New 10/11 Schedule
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2004, 12:32:47 AM »
I was under the impression that Play Your Hunch was gonna be running on a REGULAR basis during the weekends; but I guess I was wrong about that. And with our luck, it'll probably be the Jonathan Winters and Jaye P. Morgan episodes that we've seen already.

And don't get me started on WML about to be subjected to 'rerun abuse' just like $100kP and WLoD were before they were retired. It won't be long before we're all Lined-out!

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Lee Meriwether of the Big Board!'
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024)

CaseyAbell

New 10/11 Schedule
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2004, 12:59:24 AM »
How can WML be subject to rerun abuse? There are hundreds and hundreds of eps in existence. GSN can churn through seven episodes a week and not complete the cycle in a year. Now what they're doing to Dog Eat Dog...THAT'S rerun abuse. Fortunately, the show can stand at least some of the nastiness.

Never saw Play Your Hunch, so I don't know if the show is any good. Name's the Same is an okay panel show, though the gimmick gave out too quick.

The real point is that the Prof is being intentionally blind. He won't look at GSN's schedule because it contradicts his strange notion that "game operas" are displacing traditional game shows. Exactly the opposite is happening, as the network brings back many traditional studio game shows and drops multi-episode reality series like Mole and Average Joe. Cronin even bad-mouthed reality series in the story on the new reality networks, which you think would have pleased Mr. Steve.

But GSN execs are bypassing the Prof and talking to other media outlets. That's why he went out of his way to bash the Houston Chronicle's long story on the network. And yes, he's still angry over Boden, as Game Show Man's GSC account confirmed.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 01:12:30 AM by CaseyAbell »

Don Howard

New 10/11 Schedule
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2004, 02:32:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Sep 3 2004, 11:32 PM\'] And don't get me started on WML about to be subjected to 'rerun abuse' just like $100kP and WLoD were before they were retired. It won't be long before we're all Lined-out!

[/quote]
Tammy, my dearest darling, we must remember there are few faithful fans with popped-open eye lids and/or tapes a-rolling at 4:30am to catch the show every late night/early morning of the week. While we'd all like to see some George DeWitt era Name That Tune episodes in there, I don't see it happening. And we are getting The Name's The Same, which is a nice treat. And Beat The Clock, which I know is a favorite of yours stays in the picture, albeit just on weekends, but at least it's staying.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 02:33:44 PM by Don Howard »

sshuffield70

New 10/11 Schedule
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2004, 04:46:39 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Sep 3 2004, 11:59 PM\'] How can WML be subject to rerun abuse? There are hundreds and hundreds of eps in existence. GSN can churn through seven episodes a week and not complete the cycle in a year. Now what they're doing to Dog Eat Dog...THAT'S rerun abuse. Fortunately, the show can stand at least some of the nastiness.

Never saw Play Your Hunch, so I don't know if the show is any good. Name's the Same is an okay panel show, though the gimmick gave out too quick.

The real point is that the Prof is being intentionally blind. He won't look at GSN's schedule because it contradicts his strange notion that "game operas" are displacing traditional game shows. Exactly the opposite is happening, as the network brings back many traditional studio game shows and drops multi-episode reality series like Mole and Average Joe. Cronin even bad-mouthed reality series in the story on the new reality networks, which you think would have pleased Mr. Steve.

But GSN execs are bypassing the Prof and talking to other media outlets. That's why he went out of his way to bash the Houston Chronicle's long story on the network. And yes, he's still angry over Boden, as Game Show Man's GSC account confirmed. [/quote]
 I don't think he's blind.  He's just not happy with the direction that GSN is going.  A lot of people between the different boards are saying the same thing.  And with the latest appointment, his disagreements are justifiably louder.  Given the past records of the people involved, GSN is indicating more game operas instead of game shows.  Perhaps GSN could rechristen itself Game Operas Network Everyday or GONE.

clemon79

New 10/11 Schedule
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2004, 05:31:07 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Sep 4 2004, 01:46 PM\'] Given the past records of the people involved, GSN is indicating more game operas instead of game shows. [/quote]
 Then how come it's not happening? How come the ones they HAVE aired (The Mole comes to mind right away) flopped and dropped off of the schedule? I can see MG '90 right now. Granted, it's Match Game, but if they brought it back, who knows what might follow?

Winkfan

New 10/11 Schedule
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2004, 08:50:43 PM »
we must remember there are few faithful fans with popped-open eye lids and/or tapes a-rolling at 4:30am to catch the show every late night/early morning of the week.
Yeah, maybe those 1950-51 episodes DID turn up after all. But you just give it two or three more months, and even the most hardcore GSN fans will start thinking either.....

a.) "Is WML STILL on?"
b.) "Haven't they shown this already?"
c.) "Why didn't GSN retire WML back in September while they had the chance?"
d.) All of the above

While we'd all like to see some George DeWitt era Name That Tune episodes in there, I don't see it happening.

But it would be a big shocker if they DID turn up on GSN!

And Beat The Clock, which I know is a favorite of yours stays in the picture, albeit just on weekends, but at least it's staying.

Lately, that's the only B&W show I watch/tape on there.

What I'm getting at is, if the rest of you start getting bored with WML, don't say that I told you so. Not EVERYONE has short memories and/or attention spans.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Lee Meriwether of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 07:07:56 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024)

sshuffield70

New 10/11 Schedule
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2004, 09:48:31 PM »
Well, of course every viewer has a short memory.  How else to explain ED, CB, SpyTV, and DED, along with Whammy, FoF, RR, Lingo, and Cram every 5 to 13 weeks for time immemorial.

CaseyAbell

New 10/11 Schedule
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2004, 10:22:29 PM »
I'm agreeing with Chris Lemon? These must be the last days. Anyway, it seems pretty weird for the Prof to complain about what MIGHT happen on GSN...when what IS happening is exactly what he should like: reality series and dating shows getting canned, and more traditional studio game shows returning. One of the recently recalled shows even features one of Mr. Steve's favorite hosts, Todd Newton.

If I were the Prof - odd notion - I'd be running I-told-you-so items right now about GSN's return to traditional game shows, and the failure of "game operas" and "docudateries." Instead, he maintains this strange pretense that GSN is running more reality series when they're actually cancelling them, and tilting away from traditional studio shows when they're giving more exposure than ever to MG (not to mention several shows from the very earliest days of the genre).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 10:34:38 PM by CaseyAbell »