Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ken Jennings  (Read 4595 times)

adamjk

Ken Jennings
« on: September 01, 2004, 03:02:29 PM »
In a tribute to Jeopardy champion Ken Jennings, the world magazine, has given him the moniker of  "The Michael Jordan of game shows."

The nickname was once held by Jeopardy and Win Ben Stein's Money contestant Leszek Pawlowicz, courtesy of the New York Times.

source: http://www.tvgameshows.net
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 03:03:16 PM by adamjk »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Ken Jennings
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 04:37:00 PM »
Congratiulations on taking an utter nonstory from The Perfesser's site and making it into an utter nonstory here.

Questions:

1) What the HELL is World Magazine? I hope we're not referring to the National Geographic children's publication.

2) Who is Gene Edward Vieth, what is his authority on game shows, and why is his proclamation as to whom the Michael Jordan is thereto of ANY importance at all? Taking nothing away from Ken, if someone posted everytime some hack journalist bestowed that "title" on Ken (and a Google search returns 283 hits to sites where he and Jordan are mentioned on the same page), we'd be through a month's bandwidth allotment in a week.

3) What is it with people reporting stories from the Perfesser's site anyhow? From what I can tell, the population here pretty much divides itself into two camps: pro-Perfesser and anti-Perfesser. Those pro- already read his colunm, and therefore already saw the story, and those anti- couldn't give a rip.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

Ken Jennings
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 04:55:40 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 1 2004, 03:37 PM\']
3) What is it with people reporting stories from the Perfesser's site anyhow? From what I can tell, the population here pretty much divides itself into two camps: pro-Perfesser and anti-Perfesser. Those pro- already read his colunm, and therefore already saw the story, and those anti- couldn't give a rip. [/quote]
 Actually, bud, I consider myself a huge game show fan, and yet I had never heard of this 'tvgameshows.net' website. I certainly don't get all of the daily references of 'the perf' , 'stosh', or 'the perfesser'....

So thank you, AdamJK, for cutting and pasting that link here.  Worthy bandwidth space spent, indeed!
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Steve Gavazzi

Ken Jennings
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 05:01:35 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 1 2004, 04:37 PM\'] 1) What the HELL is World Magazine? [/quote]
 Well, technically, the way Adam's sentence is punctuated, it's Ken Jennings.

clemon79

Ken Jennings
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 05:08:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Sep 1 2004, 02:01 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 1 2004, 04:37 PM\'] 1) What the HELL is World Magazine? [/quote]
Well, technically, the way Adam's sentence is punctuated, it's Ken Jennings. [/quote]
 And published globally. How could I have been so stupid.

uncamark

Ken Jennings
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 05:46:52 PM »
Thanks to Mr. Google and their own "About Us" page at www.worldmag.com:

"WORLD is a weekly newsmagazine, published 50 times a year. WORLD includes sharp, full-color photographs and offers complete coverage of national and international news, all written from a Christian perspective."

Which explains why Perfesser Combover (who, it should be reminded, does a weekly talk show on Rev. Donald Wildmon's American Family Association-owned radio station in Jackson) would quote it.  If you want to read the article itself, well, here it is.

ClockGameJohn

Ken Jennings
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 05:57:08 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 1 2004, 05:46 PM\'] "WORLD is a weekly newsmagazine, published 50 times a year." [/quote]
 I just love that sentence.

sshuffield70

Ken Jennings
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004, 07:35:12 PM »
I have a problem with the response some of you have made.  A small reprint here:

The long-running game show Jeopardy! ended its season with a loud bang. Ken Jennings, who is being called the Michael Jordan of game shows....

Some of you made it sound like Gene Veith called Ken the "Michael Jordan of game shows" when he clearly didn't or he would have written that he did.  Do some of you need your eyes checked?

clemon79

Ken Jennings
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2004, 08:32:30 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Sep 1 2004, 04:35 PM\'] Some of you made it sound like Gene Veith called Ken the "Michael Jordan of game shows" when he clearly didn't or he would have written that he did.  Do some of you need your eyes checked? [/quote]
 I only read the Perfesser's piece, which said:

"In a story by Gene Edward Vieth, Jennings was handed the Jordan title..."

...which sure as hell implies that Vieth bequeathed (say THAT five times fast!) the "title" on Ken.

That's beautiful. So not only is it an idiotic nonstory, but the Perfesser didn't even get it RIGHT. Again. What a hack.

clemon79

Ken Jennings
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2004, 08:36:00 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Sep 1 2004, 01:55 PM\'] Actually, bud, I consider myself a huge game show fan, and yet I had never heard of this 'tvgameshows.net' website. [/quote]
 Fine. Three camps:

1) Those pro-Perfesser
2) Those anti-Perfesser
3) tvwxman ;)

rigsby

Ken Jennings
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2004, 10:55:32 PM »
You forgot:

4) Those of us who couldn't care less where we get our game show news, so long as it's somewhere.  If it's from the Professor, so be it; if not, that's fine too.

Don Howard

Ken Jennings
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2004, 11:10:28 PM »
And I would like to announce that The Howard Society has unanimously voted that Ken Jennings be honored as the "Norm Peterson of game shows".
The Howard Award is given out annually in years that end in 0 except when there is a blue moon in July.

Craig Karlberg

Ken Jennings
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2004, 04:39:10 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Sep 1 2004, 10:10 PM\'] And I would like to announce that The Howard Society has unanimously voted that Ken Jennings be honored as the "Norm Peterson of game shows".
The Howard Award is given out annually in years that end in 0 except when there is a blue moon in July. [/quote]
LOL! Don.  This year we had a bkue moon last month, so I guess Illl let that one slide.

As far as World goes, why a Christian oriented magazine gives a title like that to a Mormon like Ken is beyond me.  I just don't see a connection there.

tvwxman

Ken Jennings
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2004, 06:30:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Sep 2 2004, 03:39 AM\']
As far as World goes, why a Christian oriented magazine gives a title like that to a Mormon like Ken is beyond me.  I just don't see a connection there. [/quote]
 Hey, just like many of us here who don't see a connection between game shows and your posts!
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

MyCapableAssistant

Ken Jennings
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2004, 06:42:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Sep 2 2004, 02:39 AM\'] I just don't see a connection... [/quote]

Hmmmm
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 06:46:36 AM by MyCapableAssistant »