Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Same Game on every Station in town!  (Read 5010 times)

Skynet74

Same Game on every Station in town!
« on: September 04, 2004, 12:21:41 PM »
I was just thinking back to some of the most poplular Game Shows. The ones that seemed to air on every station in town at one point or another. For example.... Tic Tac Dough aired here in Providence on our ABC Affiliate, then switched to the NBC affiliate and then finally to CBS.

Family Feud was another one that seemed to air on every station in town at some point during it's run. In Boston I remember the show being aired on a Bunch of stations as seen below.

WBZ   Channel 4   NBC
WCVB Channel 5   ABC
WNEV  Channel 7   CBS
WSBK  Channel 38 Independent
WLVI   Channel 56 Independent

What show in your market has hit the most stations during it's run?

John

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2004, 12:26:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Sep 4 2004, 12:21 PM\'] I was just thinking back to some of the most poplular Game Shows. The ones that seemed to air on every station in town at one point or another. For example.... Tic Tac Dough aired here in Providence on our ABC Affiliate, then switched to the NBC affiliate and then finally to CBS. [/quote]
 Interesting enough question, I guess, and I'm sure you'll get responses on it.  Still, does bouncing around from station to station really suggest popularity?  Seems to me that a truly popular game show would be one that the local station sticks with year after year.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Skynet74

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2004, 12:50:08 PM »
Bouncing around from station to station could suggest popularity. Programs that nobody wants will sometimes not even air in a market at all. However a show in high demand will have stations jumping on it as soon as another station allows the contract to run out. This seems to be the case with Feud. Obviously a popular show that had no problem getting replacement stations when one was needed.

I agree that if the show is doing it's job in the marketplace that a particular station would never allow the contract to run out in the first place. However ... even the most popular programs run out of steam sooner or later. This is obviously when certain stations would choose to make room for newer programming rather than trying to revive what was once "Cream Of The Crop"

John
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 12:57:13 PM by Skynet74 »

TV Favorites

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004, 01:21:53 PM »
In my area, the current run of Feud has been on three of the four major affiliates.  During the Louie Anderson era, the local CBS affiliate carried it.  For the first 2 Karn seasons, the FOX affiliate ran it and beginning this season, the ABC affiliate will air it.

Don Howard

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 02:26:42 PM »
In the Cleveland area, Tic Tac Dough premiered on WEWS-TV 5 (first in Ohio) in late 1978. It went off in 1981. It reappeared on Cleveland TV in 1982 on WKYC-TV Channel 3, where it stayed until 1984. TTD made its 3rd appearance in the market when WBNX-TV 55 (owned by heal-master Ernest Angely) signed on in late 1985 with the first of the Jim Caldwell episodes.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 02:36:02 PM »
Current Feud has been on three stations here:

WTKR during season 1
WVBT from fall 2001-spring 2003
WTVZ since March 2003
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2004, 03:42:31 PM »
The current incarnation of Feud started on WOIO for an hour in Cleveland.  At the start of season 3, Feud went to WOIO's sister station, WUAB.  The 4th season saw Feud end up on WKYC for an hour at 2:05 AM.  WVPX got the second part of the Feud's double run starting this past season.  And on the 13th, the Feud returns where it began, on WOIO for an hour.  My TiVo also lists WVPX as airing an episode at 7 PM, not the network-wide ep. as that airs at 7:30.

In sum...

Season 1:  WOIO
Season 2:  WOIO
Season 3:  WUAB
Season 4:  WKYC
Season 5:  WKYC and WVPX
Season 6:  WOIO (and WVPX?)

Add in the previous incarnations of the Feud and every current English language, for profit station in Cleveland has aired the Feud.  (WEWS--ABC daytime, WJW--CBS daytime, WBNX--Dawson's return in 1994)

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2004, 04:14:32 PM »
Green Bay's had current Feud on 3 stations:

Anderson run on [IIRC] WGBA AND WACY
Karn Season 1 on WFRV
Season 2 brought it back to WGBA
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.