Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: what game shows could/could not be straddled?  (Read 6510 times)

adamjk

what game shows could/could not be straddled?
« on: September 03, 2004, 04:35:46 PM »
Of all the game shows over the years, which ones could, and which ones could not be straddled?

One's that couldn't in my opinion, include:

Jeopardy, Press your Luck, Whammy, Price is Right (current) Wheel of Fortune(current), and that's about all I can think of now.

As for one's that could, I would include:
Body Language(if it wasn't straddled, I believe it wasn't, but am not sure)

Lingo: It has been done before, under the original format of the 80's, but they could do it again, if they put a limit on points needed to win. Like make it 500 or something. This way when a score is like 400-25, it's not so anti-climatic.

Russian Roulette: I think it would be better if this show had straddling. Don't get me wrong, the show was and still is great. But I think it's unfair that just because no one has dropped at a certain point, that someone goes by a random pull. A straddled format, would make this rule obsolete.

Price is Right (Cullen): I think this version could have used it. Granted the game was good as is, but I think straddling could make things more interesting, in the same type of way as Lingo with straddling would. Just make a rule that the first person to win 3 prizes win that game or something. This way, no one is ever out of the game.

Classic Concentration: I know they generally played 2 games and 2 bonus rounds per show, but again I feel straddling would make it better. The reason? This way, there wouldn't be a need for speed-up round. It always felt weird to me having the puzzle just reveal itself. Kinda defeats the purpose of the game don't you think?

Match Game 90: We discussed before as you recall.

Wheel of Fortune (shopping era)

Those are some of my ideas. What do you think? Also, what are some of yours?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 04:36:54 PM by adamjk »

gsgalaxy82

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 04:45:42 PM »
I suppose Pyramid COULD have straddled, which it did in the beginning. But it kinda didn't work after awhile, which is why it became more self contained. (the '70s version, obviously the '80s couldn't have).
Lingo would work better if it was just "First to Lingo wins", not with a point value.

Russian Roulette: I think it would be better if this show had straddling. Don't get me wrong, the show was and still is great. But I think it's unfair that just because no one has dropped at a certain point, that someone goes by a random pull. A straddled format, would make this rule obsolete.

Price is Right (Cullen): I think this version could have used it. Granted the game was good as is, but I think straddling could make things more interesting, in the same type of way as Lingo with straddling would. Just make a rule that the first person to win 3 prizes win that game or something. This way, no one is ever out of the game.

Wheel of Fortune (shopping era)
These three would not have worked and I'll tell you why. RARELY do shows straddle when they have more then two players or teams in a game. Off the top of my head, I can thinking of two, Knockout and Your Number's Up. I suppose it's because shows with more then two contestants would run through their contestant pools quickly.

David
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 03:06:10 AM by gsgalaxy82 »

adamjk

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 04:47:19 PM »
[quote name=\'gsgalaxy82\' date=\'Sep 3 2004, 03:45 PM\'] I suppose Pyramid COULD have straddled, which it did in the beginning. But it kinda didn't work after awhile, which is why it became more self contained. (the '70s version, obviously the '80s couldn't have).
Lingo would work better if it was just "First to Lingo wins", not with a point value.

[/quote]
 That's actually how it worked in the 80's.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 05:10:53 PM »
PYL did straddle--once.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 11:20:52 PM »
[quote name=\'gsgalaxy82\' date=\'Sep 3 2004, 03:45 PM\']I suppose Pyramid COULD have straddled, which it did in the beginning. But it kinda didn't work after awhile, which is why it became more self contained. (the '70s version, obviously the '80s couldn't have).[/quote]
Are you referring to the occasional need to play the previous episode's second Winner's Circle at the beginning of the next episode, due to too much time spent on tiebreakers? Or was there a time when it well and truly was a straddled game?

Poor Dick, just having to move the show at 1000 MPH whenever there were tiebreakers in the '80s. "All right, we've got to hurry, you're playing for $25,000, I'll give you a few seconds to collect your thoughts, and hereisyourfirstsubjectGO!"
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 12:58:05 AM »
While it made it easier on them not to straddle, yes, they occasionally broke in the middle of a front game.  See one of the TV City 10K Pyramids GSN aired for an early example.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2004, 04:11:47 AM »
Classic Concentration: I know they generally played 2 games and 2 bonus rounds per show, but again I feel straddling would make it better.

It would be really weird for say, "Wheel of Fortune" to straddle since a puzzle could be theoretically solved by a contestant during the taping break. Whether 15 minutes or 24 hours, it's all too much of an advantage. Same for CC.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2004, 04:41:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 3 2004, 04:10 PM\'] PYL did straddle--once. [/quote]
That was because of the Micheal Larsen episode from 1984 in which it was split into 2 parts.  I think Micheal had about $40,000+ at the end of part 1.

tyshaun1

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2004, 07:51:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Sep 4 2004, 03:41 AM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 3 2004, 04:10 PM\'] PYL did straddle--once. [/quote]
That was because of the Micheal Larsen episode from 1984 in which it was split into 2 parts.  I think Micheal had about $40,000+ at the end of part 1. [/quote]
NO! REALLY? WOW, YOU ARE SUCH AN INSIGHT!*

(*this person is not really an insight. This person is really an idiot who obviously needs a sarcasm detector. Badly. Plus, it's Michael, not Micheal, and he had about 36K after day 1.)

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 07:54:36 AM by tyshaun1 »

Don Howard

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2004, 05:54:51 PM »
Family Feud could have. Especially during the 400 points season. Can you imagine how much chopping probably had to be done after those tapings?

adamjk

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2004, 05:55:25 PM »
They were going to in fact early on.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2004, 11:35:03 PM »
They were going to in fact early on.

I'm going to inference that they were in fact not going to. The pilot was played to 200 with all single rounds, and Richard Dawson was rushing to fit it in the 30 minute period (obviously since it was a pilot, it couldn't straddle). This would create a dilemma, if going at a slower pace, of one game taking longer than a show to complete.

The addition of a double round when they went to series shows a desire to have games fit within a half hour - no more, no less. Chris Clementson made an off hand comment that the introducing families at the end of a show was more or less a time-filling activity. Note that later into that season and other ones that Richard had a true monologue that ate up time instead, as well as other shenanigans.

But this is all a hypothesis.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2004, 10:50:21 PM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' date=\'Sep 3 2004, 11:58 PM\']While it made it easier on them not to straddle, yes, they occasionally broke in the middle of a front game.  See one of the TV City 10K Pyramids GSN aired for an early example.[/quote]
Would that I could.

You could straddle Wheel without breaking up individual rounds, and just edit for time when necessary--but, of course, that eliminates part of the reason you'd want the show to straddle in the first place.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin