Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Spin-off?  (Read 7427 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2004, 09:28:07 PM »
The one thing spinning right now is my head. :P
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2004, 11:27:29 AM »
Back when the three networks threw us a couple of game shows in the morning, I always thought it would be an ingenious idea to mount a show called "Daily Double," that would indeed be a spin-off of "Jeopardy!" Three contestants compete separately (isolated from each other), starting out with, oh, $100 stake money. They each get 8 or 10 answers in different categories, betting part or all of their stake on each one, seeing only the category. It's a little like competitive Money Cards, I suppose. Whoever did the best keeps the cash and plays some sort of bonus game.

There'd be baby blue and pink, too!

rigsby

Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2004, 11:52:03 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Sep 1 2004, 10:27 AM\']There'd be baby blue and pink, too![/quote]
But would there be any RED categories?

dzinkin

Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2004, 11:59:07 AM »
[quote name=\'rigsby\' date=\'Sep 1 2004, 11:52 AM\'] [quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Sep 1 2004, 10:27 AM\']There'd be baby blue and pink, too![/quote]
But would there be any RED categories? [/quote]
 Yes.  They're very important, and he'll explain when he gets to them.

calliaume

Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2004, 11:10:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Sep 1 2004, 10:27 AM\'] Back when the three networks threw us a couple of game shows in the morning, I always thought it would be an ingenious idea to mount a show called "Daily Double," that would indeed be a spin-off of "Jeopardy!" Three contestants compete separately (isolated from each other), starting out with, oh, $100 stake money. They each get 8 or 10 answers in different categories, betting part or all of their stake on each one, seeing only the category. It's a little like competitive Money Cards, I suppose. Whoever did the best keeps the cash and plays some sort of bonus game.
 [/quote]
 It's also a little like The Who, What, or Where Game.  Actually, it's a lot like The Who, What, or Where Game, aside from the isolation.

gsgalaxy82

Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2004, 01:06:23 AM »
I'm surprised nobody has said Family Feud was a spinoff of Match Game, because it used the Audience Match portion as the inspiration for the main part of the show. Surveying studio audiences and trying to come up with the best answer.
Some of these are REALLY scraping the bottom though.

David

clemon79

Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2004, 01:20:47 AM »
[quote name=\'gsgalaxy82\' date=\'Sep 1 2004, 10:06 PM\'] I'm surprised nobody has said Family Feud was a spinoff of Match Game, because it used the Audience Match portion as the inspiration for the main part of the show. Surveying studio audiences and trying to come up with the best answer.
Some of these are REALLY scraping the bottom though.

David [/quote]
 Then you clearly haven't read the entire thread, since Mark said just that in the second post.

gsgalaxy82

Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2004, 12:34:24 PM »
Ah, my mistake, sorry. I guess after all those other posts I was in a daze.

David

Neumms

Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2004, 02:21:29 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Sep 1 2004, 10:10 PM\']
It's also a little like The Who, What, or Where Game.  Actually, it's a lot like The Who, What, or Where Game, aside from the isolation. [/quote]
 It is a bit, in that you're wagering on your knowledge of a category. But the playing against the house aspect (sort of how in golf you play against the course more than against the other golfers) would, I think, make it play a lot differently.

This does bring up a question that fits the topic: Does "The Challengers" count as a spin-off of "Who, What or Where?"

clemon79

Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2004, 02:24:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Sep 2 2004, 11:21 AM\'] This does bring up a question that fits the topic: Does "The Challengers" count as a spin-off of "Who, What or Where?" [/quote]
 I'd go so far as to call it a straight-up revivial.

Jimmy Owen

Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2004, 04:54:07 PM »
Seemed like a lot of the shows produced by Ron Greenberg had the three players answering questions deal going (orig. $ale, WWW, TBS, PnR, Challengers)  In reading the encyclopedia entry for "Reach For the Stars," (on which Ron Greenberg worked with Merv) would you agree that the show was reworked to become "Ruckus."?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

Game Show Spin-off?
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2004, 04:55:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 2 2004, 03:54 PM\']Seemed like a lot of the shows produced by Ron Greenberg had the three players answering questions deal going (orig. $ale, WWW, TBS, PnR, Challengers)  In reading the encyclopedia entry for "Reach For the Stars," (on which Ron Greenberg worked with Merv) would you agree that the show was reworked to become "Ruckus."?[/quote]
"Reach for the Stars" became the final segment of "Ruckus"--the rest of the show was so divorced from "Reach for the Stars" that I can't really call it a spinoff.

"Reach," in case someone's forgotten, was the show where they built a spaceship-styled set without Merv's approval while he was out of town, and when he came back, he was not too happy, having envisioned a more carnival-style set (since the show was inspired by a carnival raffle game where you took a number off a board).  The set was then toned down to give more of a penthouse feel--a penthouse out in the middle of the country, since it was still dominated by the starry sky motif.