Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My thoughts regarding rumors of Ken's defeat  (Read 3027 times)

adamjk

My thoughts regarding rumors of Ken's defeat
« on: September 08, 2004, 05:48:24 PM »
I get the feeling, that sometime between tonight and Friday's episode, Ken Jennings may be defeated. I say that because as we know the first 2 weeks of the new season were taped before the break. Now as I understand it, 1 of those weeks taped was a back to school kids week was it not? Then after the break, the tournament of champions weeks were taped were they not? If this is the case, then somewhere before the end of this week Jennings is going to be beaten. I say that because, one would assume they would wait until Jennings has been knocked off before taping the tournament of champions, which as far as I know will be airing after these first 2 weeks of the new season. Coincidence? I don't think so. Thoughts guys?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 05:58:55 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 8 2004, 02:48 PM\'] I get the feeling, that sometime between tonight and Friday's episode, Ken Jennings may be defeated. I say that because as we know the first 2 weeks of the new season were taped before the break. Now as I understand it, 1 of those weeks taped was a back to school kids week was it not? Then after the break, the tournament of champions weeks were taped were they not? If this is the case, then somewhere before the end of this week Jennings is going to be beaten. I say that because, one would assume they would wait until Jennings has been knocked off before taping the tournament of champions, which as far as I know will be airing after these first 2 weeks of the new season. Coincidence? I don't think so. Thoughts guys? [/quote]
 I think you're making a lot of assumptions and suppositions that you in fact can't back up with valid argument:

1) I suspect the original plan was to start the season with Back To School week, then a week of regular play, and then the TOC, if it in fact runs the week after next. I suspect that plan was changed when Jenningsmania hit, and his winning or losing in that time period has nothing to do with anything. I don't know this for a fact, but it's no less plausible a theory than yours.

2) There is no reason to assume the TOC would be taped only after Ken finishes his run. In fact, Ken being the first 5+ day wraparound champ in the history of the show, there is no precedent to accurately predict HOW they will handle the TOC.

I applaud your effort to offer an argument instead of just saying "I think Ken will lose this week." That's a big step forward. Now you need to think out your arguing points a little better.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

adamjk

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 06:07:44 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 8 2004, 04:58 PM\'] [quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 8 2004, 02:48 PM\'] I get the feeling, that sometime between tonight and Friday's episode, Ken Jennings may be defeated. I say that because as we know the first 2 weeks of the new season were taped before the break. Now as I understand it, 1 of those weeks taped was a back to school kids week was it not? Then after the break, the tournament of champions weeks were taped were they not? If this is the case, then somewhere before the end of this week Jennings is going to be beaten. I say that because, one would assume they would wait until Jennings has been knocked off before taping the tournament of champions, which as far as I know will be airing after these first 2 weeks of the new season. Coincidence? I don't think so. Thoughts guys? [/quote]
I think you're making a lot of assumptions and suppositions that you in fact can't back up with valid argument:

2) There is no reason to assume the TOC would be taped only after Ken finishes his run. In fact, Ken being the first 5+ day wraparound champ in the history of the show, there is no precedent to accurately predict HOW they will handle the TOC.

[/quote]
 While I see your point about the TOC, I think that the producers of Jeopardy would wait until Ken's final episode airs (assuming he has been defeated), before airing the TOC. Reason being is, since Ken started his run back in June, ratings are as high as they have ever been. Why would producers want to mess with a success?

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 09:16:41 PM »
You say you think Ken will be defeated sometime soon because of where they scheduled in the special weeks. Is it possible that this is what they want you to think? Maybe they want us to think that Ken is going to lose so we will all watch.

However, I'll be quick to confess that I am currently "talking out my ass", as it were, so I will step off the soapbox now.

tommycharles

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 10:59:03 AM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 8 2004, 05:07 PM\'] While I see your point about the TOC, I think that the producers of Jeopardy would wait until Ken's final episode airs (assuming he has been defeated), before airing the TOC. Reason being is, since Ken started his run back in June, ratings are as high as they have ever been. Why would producers want to mess with a success? [/quote]
 See... there is just as much chance of that happening, I would think, as them taping it and having Ken continue his reign afterwards. Ken has already qualified... so wouldn't this just work the same way as the $100k Pyramid where a contestant could theoretically win the $100k and still return the next day if the situation was right?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 12:53:15 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Sep 9 2004, 07:59 AM\'] so wouldn't this just work the same way as the $100k Pyramid where a contestant could theoretically win the $100k and still return the next day if the situation was right? [/quote]
 Well, since this has never happened before on Jeopardy, we don't know. Some of us think for the sake of continuity / fair play / whatever that it SHOULD happen that way, but nobody can say for certain how it's handled until we get a report from an audience member who was present or the shows air.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

starcade

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 05:18:52 PM »
Didn't they already tape the first two weeks of this season continuously with Ken's previous run of tapings?  If so, there's no way (rumors or otherwise) that I could see him losing until, at the VERY least, the new slate of _tapings_ begin...

tommycharles

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2004, 10:21:45 PM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Sep 9 2004, 04:18 PM\'] Didn't they already tape the first two weeks of this season continuously with Ken's previous run of tapings?  If so, there's no way (rumors or otherwise) that I could see him losing until, at the VERY least, the new slate of _tapings_ begin... [/quote]
 Yes, they did. I'm not sure if this is common practice, but they did it this time.