Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Press your Luck  (Read 4514 times)

adamjk

Press your Luck
« on: September 10, 2004, 11:00:43 PM »
I was just wondering, if there was ever a situation where the go back two spaces square led to a whammy. Did it?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 11:00:56 PM by adamjk »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Press your Luck
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 11:10:49 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 10 2004, 10:00 PM\'] I was just wondering, if there was ever a situation where the go back two spaces square led to a whammy. Did it? [/quote]
 As far as I know, no.  The "Go Back Two Spaces" and "Advance Two Spaces" squares both led to a square without a whammy.

If I also recall correctly, there also was an "Across The Board" square that led to a square without a whammy.  Moral of the story--unless the whammy was one of the choices in "Pick A Corner" (which was the case for a short while) in order to hit one you had to land on one.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Steve Gavazzi

Press your Luck
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 11:56:30 PM »
Seeing as Go Back 2 Spaces went to the same sqaure as Big Bucks...no.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Press your Luck
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 02:18:03 AM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 10 2004, 10:00 PM\'] I was just wondering, if there was ever a situation where the go back two spaces square led to a whammy. Did it? [/quote]
 Were you born without a sense of logic?  Other than an outright whammy hit, please explain to me why the show would force a whammy in a situation like that.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Robert Hutchinson

Press your Luck
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 02:41:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Sep 11 2004, 01:18 AM\']Were you born without a sense of logic?  Other than an outright whammy hit, please explain to me why the show would force a whammy in a situation like that.[/quote]
Well, I imagine they wanted consistency--when they hit the button, the audience will always know instantly whether or not a Whammy is the result of the spin. But I hardly see how doing it differently would be so inconceivable. "Back two spaces to--" "Oh nooo!" "--a whammy!" What's the serious problem with that?

(See also: Clocks, Stopped.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Press your Luck
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 03:08:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Sep 10 2004, 11:18 PM\'] [quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 10 2004, 10:00 PM\'] I was just wondering, if there was ever a situation where the go back two spaces square led to a whammy. Did it? [/quote]
Were you born without a sense of logic?  Other than an outright whammy hit, please explain to me why the show would force a whammy in a situation like that. [/quote]
 Dude, considering we're talking about a show that offered a Whammy as a Pick-A-Corner option, I dunno that it was all THAT lame of a question.

Certainly not lame enough for you to jump down his throat like that.

Save it for when it's warranted.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

whampyl03

Press your Luck
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2004, 03:39:46 AM »
I was just wondering, if there was ever a situation where the go back two spaces square led to a whammy. Did it?

Nope.  If I recall correctly, GB2S always pointed back to space 4. ($3K + One Spin, $4K + One Spin, $5K + One Spin.)  

If I also recall correctly, there also was an "Across The Board" square that led to a square without a whammy.

Yep.  Across The Board debuted on the 2nd round board at around the beginning of 1986-ish. It crossed to space 8. ($500 + One Spin, $750 + One Spin, $1000 + One Spin.)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 03:43:22 AM by whampyl03 »

Craig Karlberg

Press your Luck
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2004, 04:47:13 AM »
That goes to show that going back 2 spaces will always lead you to a positive situation.  Doing that to land on a Whammy is as stupid as a player picking a Whammy off a Pick a Corner option(and it never happened if I recall right).

Sonic Whammy

Press your Luck
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2004, 02:19:06 PM »
It is true that Pick A Corner led to the choice of choosing a Whammy when it was first introduced, and said concept stayed in place for 11 months actually, from March 84 to February 85, when the left side of the board was reshuffled.

But as far as Go Back Two Spaces and Advance Two Spaces go, those squares never led to Whammies... on classic Press Your Luck.

When Whammy debuted in 2002, the first two episodes taped (they were aired toward the end of the first season run) actually had a bit a quirk to them. If you looked carefully, when the 2nd batch of Whammies was added to the board during Round 1, the Advance Two Spaces square at the bottom of the board could have actually led to a Whammy! The combination of squares DID pop up on the board, and stayed that way for the next round or two of spins before Advance was changed to a Whammy itself. And even though it was never actually hit in either of the two shows, the fact that it was possible probably caught someone's attention, which is why the order of the squares and Whammies was redone so that such a mistake wouldn't happen forevermore after that.

Strange, yes, but it's true. I can make a screengrab if you want.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

itiparanoid13

Press your Luck
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2004, 02:28:42 PM »
I hate to go off topic for a moment, but when I was watching Whammy once, I saw another board glitch where a Whammy and $4,000+ swapped places for a few spins.

roadgeek

Press your Luck
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2004, 02:41:27 PM »
Sonic: Since you offered, I'd like to see a screenshot.  According to the information I have at http://web.bvub.com/~csyoder/whammy.html#earlyR1, the Advance 2 square at the bottom of the board led to three prizes, and AFAIK, prizes never were turned into Whammies.  I think that my information is incorrect though, after reading your post.  I only have ever seen two Season One episodes (the Mother's Day episode is the only one I have on tape), and I have had to get most of my information from some volunteers at TVRules.net.  Would you be able to tell me what isn't correct on my page?

itiparanoid13: I was going to ask the same question about the Whammy in the $4000+S spot, with Big Bucks down below!  Great minds think alike...

Steve Gavazzi

Press your Luck
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2004, 03:21:26 PM »
I remember Mandel saying that the Whammy! staff actually wanted to have Advance X Spaces lead to a whammy sometimes, and that he had to convince them that it was a bad idea.  Don't recall anything about it actually making it into an episode, though, and I'm certainly to going to try to guess whether or not it happened intentionally.

As for the Whammy over Big Bucks...yeah, I distinctly remember him saying that that was a mistake.