Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shop 'til You Drop speculation  (Read 2858 times)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Shop 'til You Drop speculation
« on: September 10, 2004, 04:58:13 PM »
I know it's not the in thing to talk about Shop 'til You Drop, but due to nothing else being on, I often find myself with it on in the background. Though the only interesting part is watching people run around.

So, does anybody think (or know whether) the show will utilize some of the other departments in the "megastore" this upcoming season? I'm not expecting a box by the Dairy department, but it seems like if they wanted to, they could get some prizes that fit in Office Supplies or Automotive. One of the nice things about the mall was that the stores would rotate in and out, adding some variety. It's kind of boring seeing the same 14 departments every day, especially when two or three of them rarely get visited by contestants.

Also, does anybody think (or know) that for the six initial prizes that are kept or exchanged, the show might throw in something that's valuable once in a while? It's also kind of boring knowing that no matter what the contestants exchange or where they exchange it, the unknown is always worth more.

--
Scott Robinson

TimK2003

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 09:46:32 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' date=\'Sep 10 2004, 03:58 PM\']
Also, does anybody think (or know) that for the six initial prizes that are kept or exchanged, the show might throw in something that's valuable once in a while? It's also kind of boring knowing that no matter what the contestants exchange or where they exchange it, the unknown is always worth more.

[/quote]
 Actually, if I remember correctly, when STYD first made its debut umpteen years and 3 or 4 networks ago, I thought they did mix large-priced items in with the initial prizes and cheap prizes with the unknowns.

If memory also serves me correctly (sorry that I don't have that Einstein/Horan brain gene), the goal to win the grand prize was initially less ($1500???).  This allowed for some real "klunk" prizes that were either initial or unknown prizes ("Klunks" = $100 or much less).

I'd love to see that gameplay back again.  Not only does it allow for more surprises (you win a $19.99 Egg Wave), but the prize budget would be less (which is a very good thing in the eyes of the PAX brass).

Just my 2 cents worth..

CarShark

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 10:03:11 PM »
One of the nice things about the mall was that the stores would rotate in and out, adding some variety. It's kind of boring seeing the same 14 departments every day, especially when two or three of them rarely get visited by contestants.
I think that's the whole point of the "blinking light" process they go through now. I don't think it really matters in the end, though. People have almost always picked the furniture store (Kanthony's Furniture Mart, Von Schiffendecker's, whatever), and the women always pushed for 24 Karats. Even when offered the chance to go to The Greenery, Brighten Up!, or Good Time Charli's Clocks people never took it. The producers aren't going to change it because they know that if they stick a $280 folding chair in the furniture store they'll have a better chance of not having to pay out that Dream Vacation.

They haven't had an expensive product on the counter for years. The teams often spent way too much time on whether to keep an item or not, and often ran out of time or cut it close. Early on in the PAX years, though, there would be an item or two worth about $300 (like the Ricardo Beverly Hills luggage or that god-awful flower print purse). Trading doesn't always guarantee a good exchange, however. Once, a team traded the aforementioned purse (worth $425) for a pocketwatch from 24 Karats, priced at $150.

If memory also serves me correctly (sorry that I don't have that Einstein/Horan brain gene), the goal to win the grand prize was initially less ($1500???).
$1,000, actually.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 10:03:46 PM by STYDfan »

bwood

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 12:06:35 PM »
I wonder if they would ever consider going back to the "physical" games, where the contestants walked over to the game to be played and it had actual props. I always liked those better for some reason. The contestants just standing there playing a game which is superimposed on the screen just looks dull to me. I don't watch STYD too much, but it would be a nice change.

TonicBH

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 02:11:31 PM »
I personally hope that they either get a new guy or get Pat Finn back. I know it seems dumb, but Finn hosted the show for nearly 11-12 years. He's got the game down pat, even if the show is significantly different in some aspects.

Yes, I didn't like J.D. Roberto. He had the bad habit of unnecessarily repeating the same line every time in every game: "If you're right, you'll hear this *ding*, if you're wrong, you'll hear this *buzz*". He also looked clueless during the bonus round when opening items too.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 02:25:10 PM »
He had the bad habit of unnecessarily repeating the same line every time in every game: "If you're right, you'll hear this *ding*, if you're wrong, you'll hear this *buzz*".

Just a cliche from the show's early years...dunno if it carried over into PAX as much, but Pat Finn said something like this for nearly every stunt with active judging.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Skynet74

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2004, 02:29:54 PM »
I absoutely hate the New Set Design. It turns me off to the whole show.

John

whewfan

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2004, 07:02:36 AM »
Perhaps Pat Finn left STYD BECAUSE of the format change... it just isn't the same show... not that it was a great game to begin with.

The grocery items in the warehouse serve no other purpose other than "product placement".

The new format of STYD did one thing right... they got rid of cross dressing announcer Dee Baker. The last season with Dee was disturbing, as his Grandma Crumedgeon and other characters started popping up more often to model the prizes... the sponsors were apparently VERY good sports.

Another thing they did right... after so many years, they got rid of the spiral staircase which contestants came very close to doing a Jim Peck as they carry down huge boxes.

The stunts were always dumb, but the new mini-games aren't that big of an improvement, and as mentioned, are knock offs of Double Prices and Clock Game.

uncamark

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 12:44:28 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Sep 11 2004, 01:25 PM\']
He had the bad habit of unnecessarily repeating the same line every time in every game: "If you're right, you'll hear this *ding*, if you're wrong, you'll hear this *buzz*".

Just a cliche from the show's early years...dunno if it carried over into PAX as much, but Pat Finn said something like this for nearly every stunt with active judging.[/quote]
And Roberto's reading what's on the cue cards.  It's the producers' job to get rid of the verbiage, which is unnecessary after this long on the air (and is just standard game show anyway--and besides, the time's-up horn has always been different sounding on S-S shows, as has the round win bell, for that matter).  They've just chosen not to and Roberto's not questioning them on it.

Seems to me that a good host would at some point say, "Do we really need to still say this?"  Just like a really good host would also say, "Do we really need to make a big deal over doubling the point values?"  No names, please.