Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Make the Grade questions  (Read 2267 times)

whewfan

Make the Grade questions
« on: July 09, 2004, 09:19:16 PM »
How many of each wild card was on the board (Lose a Square, Free Square, Take a Square, Fire Drills)?

I've noticed when a player picks a square that is a wild card, that card flips back into the original graphic. Can THAT square be picked again for a question? Or is it out of play? I know the square that's given up when  "Lose a Square" is picked can be picked again for another question. I know squares that are out of play are plain black.

How often was the University Round played, and why wasn't it played on every show? Was it ever played while Robb Edward Morris was host?

Why did the set change from the bicycle podiums to a more traditional rectangular podium?

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Make the Grade questions
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 10:03:28 PM »
>> How often was the University Round played, and why wasn't it played on every show? Was it ever played while Robb Edward Morris was host?
I doubt Robb ever played it, since he had a studio audience he could run over to and ask questions.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

GS Warehouse

Make the Grade questions
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 10:04:21 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 09:19 PM\'] How many of each wild card was on the board (Lose a Square, Free Square, Take a Square, Fire Drills)? [/quote]
I had it all mapped out in the second and third seasons.  There were 14 each of Take, Lose, and Fire Drills and 7 Free squares.  I never kept track of first-season squares, but I think their positions changed from show to show.

I've noticed when a player picks a square that is a wild card, that card flips back into the original graphic. Can THAT square be picked again for a question? Or is it out of play? I know the square that's given up when  "Lose a Square" is picked can be picked again for another question. I know squares that are out of play are plain black.
When a square is picked as a wild card, it does go back into play.  Only unanswered questions become black (Lew called them "dead squares").

How often was the University Round played, and why wasn't it played on every show? Was it ever played while Robb Edward Morris was host?
It was played three times in the second season.  Basically it's only played when the game runs really short.  And no, if there was extra time at the end of a third-season show, Robb would ask audience members leftover questions.  In season one, short games were handled one or two ways: play the round 2 Fire Drill (if it wasn't played already) for a $50 bonus, or footage of Lew out in the field asking questions from the game to passersby.  (This doesn't count the two occasions when a player won the game in just one round, and a new game with three new players was started right after the Honors Round!)

Why did the set change from the bicycle podiums to a more traditional rectangular podium?
The traditional kind looks sturdier?  Darned if I know.

Hmm, would an MtG update work today?  If handled properly, I think it might.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 10:09:05 PM by GS Warehouse »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Make the Grade questions
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 10:51:08 PM »
I had it all mapped out in the second and third seasons. There were 14 each of Take, Lose, and Fire Drills and 7 Free squares. I never kept track of first-season squares, but I think their positions changed from show to show.

Can you explain this a little more? Doing some math, according to this, every square was covered with something and that just isn't true. And that bit about the first-season I didn't get either.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

GS Warehouse

Make the Grade questions
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 11:37:08 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Jul 9 2004, 10:51 PM\']
I had it all mapped out in the second and third seasons. There were 14 each of Take, Lose, and Fire Drills and 7 Free squares. I never kept track of first-season squares, but I think their positions changed from show to show.

Can you explain this a little more? Doing some math, according to this, every square was covered with something and that just isn't true. And that bit about the first-season I didn't get either.

-Jason [/quote]
 My bad.  The distribution I gave was the words behind every one of the 49 squares.  It's there regardless of whether that square is a wild card are not.  However, I didn't keep track of how often wild cards came up in the game.  My best guess is that they usually turn up at random (with a limit of one Fire Drill per round, of course).

And clarifying what I meant for the first-season wild cards, I mean any given square (say, third subject, 8th grade) could be a Take on one show and a Fire Drill the next.

gsnstooge

Make the Grade questions
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 04:20:53 PM »
I know it has been a while but from my memory of the first season, 11 Loses, 12 Frees, 12 Fires, and 14 Takes.