Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Doug Davidson TPIR  (Read 6624 times)

GSWitch

Doug Davidson TPIR
« on: September 11, 2004, 08:29:30 PM »
It was 10 years ago that Doug Davidson hosted the 3rd syndicated run of TPIR.  The set was a little darker, the turntable was replaced by a video wall & there was the Showcase Range Game.

Besides the big wheel played sometimes, there was also "The Price WAS Right" where contestants guessed merchandise prizes of then prices (sometimes bidding in dollars & cents).

Some pricing games that changed;

BARKER'S MARKER:  Known as Make Your Mark

PLINKO:  The $100 slot was replaced with $2,500

GOLDEN ROAD:  The chintzy grocery item replaced with a small prize.

GRAND GAME:  Small items replacing grocery products.

PUNCH-A-BUNCH:  Contestant punches one hole @ a time.

CLOCK GAME:  No clock on the wall, just a screen timer.

ONE AWAY:  The cry went, "People in control" instead of gentlemen (now ladies).

Burton Richardson announced & he would sub for Rod Roddy during his absence as well.

Not only is this my 1st anniversary here @ the forum, but my 300th post as well!  And 300 is a perfect game, WE HAVE IT!

(TPIR's clanging bell along with siren & Curly cry)!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 06:58:00 PM by GSWitch »

HairMetalLives

Doug Davidson TPIR
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 09:00:06 PM »
Hole in One... Or Two also used small prizes instead of grocery items.

zachhoran

Doug Davidson TPIR
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 09:27:45 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Sep 11 2004, 07:29 PM\']
Some pricing games that changed;

BARKER'S MARKER:  Known as Make Your Mark

PLINKO:  The $100 slot was replaced with $2,500

GOLDEN ROAD:  The chintzy grocery item replaced with a small prize.

GRAND GAME:  Small items replacing grocery products.

PUNCH-A-BUNCH:  Contestant punches one hole @ a time.

CLOCK GAME:  No clock on the wall, just a screen timer.

ONE AWAY:  The cry went, "People in control" instead of gentlemen (now ladies).

[/quote]
Golden Road had one time a fishbowl of cash instead of the small prize at the beginning.

Clock Game was either played for two prizes worth over $1K, or had a bonus prize offered when both prizes were under $1K.

Cars were wheeled out a la Lucky Seven for Any Number

The prizes in Switch? were sometimes shown one behind each door.

The prices of the prizes in Magic Number were shown on a rack sorta resembling the Double Prices board(DP was not played on TNPIR94)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 09:44:39 PM by zachhoran »

JayC

Doug Davidson TPIR
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 10:41:29 PM »
Also, the first number of the car used in Three Strikes was given for free, and in Plinko, the small product portion was turned into a higher/lower thing.

Skynet74

Doug Davidson TPIR
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 11:27:17 AM »
Also... we are talking about a show that failed miserably. Don't think the audience liked the changes. Perhaps they didn't like Davidson either. Also take note that it's the 10th Anniversary of the last season of Dawson Feud as well. This brings me to an interesting question. If these two shows were still on today.... how would they fare in a one hour block against Wheel Of Fortune and Jeopardy? Which would you watch if you could only choose one block to watch.... Wheel/Jeopardy (or) Price/Feud.

John

Jimmy Owen

Doug Davidson TPIR
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 11:44:29 AM »
I never understood why an hour long TPIR just like everyone is accustomed to was not tried in syndication, with the stipulation that it could run only between 4p (3pmC) and 12m.   If Barker hosted maybe one or two days a week and Davidson the rest of the time, the set and music changes would have been less jarring.  I believe an hour long Price would be viable against Oprah or Wheel/J!
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

adamjk

Doug Davidson TPIR
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 08:31:13 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 11 2004, 08:27 PM\']
 [/QUOTE]
Golden Road had one time a fishbowl of cash instead of the small prize at the beginning.

[/quote]
 In that version of the game, did each contestant who played it automatically get that small prize used to start with?

Johnissoevil

Doug Davidson TPIR
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 05:42:50 AM »
This brings me to an interesting question. If these two shows were still on today.... how would they fare in a one hour block against Wheel Of Fortune and Jeopardy? Which would you watch if you could only choose one block to watch.... Wheel/Jeopardy (or) Price/Feud.

In some of the smaller markets, all four aired together in a block on FOX and Indy stations.  One Indy in Alabama (which eventually became UPN) had the second half hour of Feud at 6, TnPIR '94 at 6:30, Wheel at 7, and J! at 7:30.  When Price was cancelled, rather than air the whole hour of Feud, Love Connection, which used to air in an earlier timeslot, was thrown in there to fill the void.  Next season would see changes, as Feud was cancelled, and WOF and J! were moved to one of the "Big 3" network affiliates (which one escapes me at the moment).
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

zachhoran

Doug Davidson TPIR
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 08:49:45 AM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' date=\'Sep 13 2004, 04:42 AM\'] When Price was cancelled, rather than air the whole hour of Feud, Love Connection, which used to air in an earlier timeslot, was thrown in there to fill the void. [/quote]
 LC was in reruns in 1994-95, as new episodes of Woolery LC stopped being made after 1993-94.

cmjb13

Doug Davidson TPIR
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 09:04:10 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my guess is that TPIR daytime staffers were hired to try and make the show work (at least  from a time/production standpoint, not game play wise).
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

uncamark

Doug Davidson TPIR
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 12:23:08 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Sep 13 2004, 08:04 AM\']Correct me if I'm wrong, but my guess is that TPIR daytime staffers were hired to try and make the show work (at least  from a time/production standpoint, not game play wise).[/quote]
IIRC, Phil, Rog and Fingers were all involved with the show underneath Jonny G and Jay Wolpert (who, it must be noted, was the original line producer of this version of "TPIR").  And it did seem to me that the only daytime "TPIR" staffer who *didn't* work on the syndicated version was the titular executive producer.

The problem here wasn't the length or the format changes--it seems that, just like "T or C," people just didn't want to watch "TPIR" unless Bob Barker was host.  Yeah, it's feeding his enormous ego, but it seems to be true.

cmjb13

Doug Davidson TPIR
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 12:53:37 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 13 2004, 12:23 PM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Sep 13 2004, 08:04 AM\']Correct me if I'm wrong, but my guess is that TPIR daytime staffers were hired to try and make the show work (at least  from a time/production standpoint, not game play wise).[/quote]
IIRC, Phil, Rog and Fingers were all involved with the show underneath Jonny G and Jay Wolpert (who, it must be noted, was the original line producer of this version of "TPIR").  And it did seem to me that the only daytime "TPIR" staffer who *didn't* work on the syndicated version was the titular executive producer.[/quote]
Actually as I understand it Roger did not participate in TPIR 94. I had heard a while back that Barker didn't want him doing it.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

ChuckNet

Doug Davidson TPIR
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2004, 08:27:07 PM »
In some of the smaller markets, all four aired together in a block on FOX and Indy stations.

And some of the big 3 affiliates had similar arrangements for TPiR '94... Providence, RI's CBS (now ABC) affiliate WLNE (Ch. 6) had it Sat-Sun from 12:30-1:30, and WBZ (Ch. 4, then w/NBC, now a CBS O&O) also aired it as a wknd block from 2-3 AM those nights.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

GS Warehouse

Doug Davidson TPIR
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004, 08:43:05 PM »
I never saw this version at all, but I think the reason it didn't last was the reason CS2k1 and TJW90 failed: too many changes.

While perusing the TNPiR album @ Golden-Road.com, there was a snap of Burton with the copyright byline, and in that picture's discussion, one caption said the show a JGP distributed by Paramount.  Shouldn't that have been MGP or did Jonathan's company produce it?  I though Jonathan was still running MGP at the time.

Come to think of it, TNPiR's cancellation almost coincided with Viacom's acquisition of what Variety calls Par.  Hmm, maybe is wasn't so coincidental after all...

ObGS: Viacom syndicated the Dennis James version of TPiR.

uncamark

Doug Davidson TPIR
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2004, 12:48:54 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Sep 13 2004, 07:43 PM\']I never saw this version at all, but I think the reason it didn't last was the reason CS2k1 and TJW90 failed: too many changes.

While perusing the TNPiR album @ Golden-Road.com, there was a snap of Burton with the copyright byline, and in that picture's discussion, one caption said the show a JGP distributed by Paramount.  Shouldn't that have been MGP or did Jonathan's company produce it?  I though Jonathan was still running MGP at the time.[/quote]
Yes, he was--I always recall the Goodson logo at the end, although the copyright notice was in Paramount's name instead of "Price Productions."

ObGS: Viacom syndicated the Dennis James version of TPiR.

Which Barker took over in 1976.

And Viacom also distributed the 1985 Tom Kennedy version, or so it seems to me.