Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Two Great Flash Games  (Read 2421 times)

remlap

Two Great Flash Games
« on: September 13, 2004, 02:03:16 PM »
I came across this link after typing TPIR in google image search

http://www.ramshacklegames.com/users/harley/portfolio.htm

Dont click continue on TPIR game it gives a blank page
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 02:03:37 PM by remlap »

Matt Ottinger

Two Great Flash Games
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 03:54:23 PM »
These look to have a lot in common with the two shopping game shows offered by this operation:

http://www.gameshow24.com/

I wonder if Harley's versions were prototypes of what became the gameshow24 offerings, because some of the design elements seem a little too close to each other to be coincidence, but the two versions play in substantively different ways.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

bwood

Two Great Flash Games
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 11:46:55 PM »
I came across these games quite a while ago and meant to post the link but never got around to it. From what I understand, your assumptions are right Matt. They seem to be prototypes for GameShow24 and a little hint could be this quote about the TPIR game:

"This game was not approved for production out of a desire to simplify the user experience. It was felt that multiple pricing games, each with their own learning curve was too confusing for people who were not fans of the T.V. show."

The Big Door also says "The Hometown Price is Right" which is what the GS24 game is so it has to be.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 11:54:18 PM by bwood »

JamesVipond

Two Great Flash Games
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 12:58:25 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' date=\'Sep 13 2004, 10:46 PM\']I came across these games quite a while ago and meant to post the link but never got around to it. From what I understand, your assumptions are right Matt. They seem to be prototypes for GameShow24 and a little hint could be this quote about the TPIR game:

"This game was not approved for production out of a desire to simplify the user experience. It was felt that multiple pricing games, each with their own learning curve was too confusing for people who were not fans of the T.V. show."

The Big Door also says "The Hometown Price is Right" which is what the GS24 game is so it has to be.[/quote]
The Gameshow24.com beta testing seems to have ended; both Card Sharks and The Price Is Right work flawlessly in Netscape Communicator 4.8 for Mac OS. In the demo games, all the prizes are from merchants in Connecticut, but I live in South Dakota. Can a Gameshow24.com account holder expect to play for prizes from his or her own ZIP code?
"He has big eyes ... and they're BLUE!"

-- a boy describing Bill Cullen on Child's Play

Matt Ottinger

Two Great Flash Games
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 01:23:28 PM »
[quote name=\'JamesVipond\' date=\'Sep 14 2004, 12:58 PM\'] Can a Gameshow24.com account holder expect to play for prizes from his or her own ZIP code? [/quote]
 That certainly appears to have been their original plan.  However, it would also appear that they've fallen dramatically short of that goal.  The system has been up for some time, and I've not seen any expansion beyond the handful of Connecticut areas they started with.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

aaron sica

Two Great Flash Games
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 02:00:16 PM »
Unfortunately, a lot of the time, internet games like that, as ambitious as they may sound, never get off the ground.

"Twelve Away" ring a bell to anyone?

dazztardly

Two Great Flash Games
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 08:28:56 PM »
[quote name=\'remlap\' date=\'Sep 13 2004, 01:03 PM\'] I came across this link after typing TPIR in google image search

http://www.ramshacklegames.com/users/harley/portfolio.htm

Dont click continue on TPIR game it gives a blank page [/quote]
 I think those demos look neat. His Card Sharks game plays out much better than the one currently being used on gameshow24.

If they want other states to get involved with HPiR, they need to start advertising the website more[online and in press]. It's a cute format though nevertheless.

-Dan