Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I think we've found the new host...  (Read 5399 times)

joshg

I think we've found the new host...
« on: September 14, 2004, 11:07:12 AM »
Forget Ryan Seacrest, Oprah Winfrey is reportedly on track to host "Price Is Right" once Bob hangs it up. After giving away 276 cars in one show, that musical metrosexual is no match for the "queen of the dream".
(This fake news was brought to you by the letters O U and the numbers 8 1 2.)

Seriously folks, how long did it take Barker to give away 276 cars on Price? End of '72? Middle of '73? Only those of you with severe obsessions need answer...

Josh
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 11:20:03 AM by matchgame »
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 01:25:28 PM »
From what I understand, all the cars were donated by the manufacturer.  Forget prize budgets, Oprah did it the right way.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 02:10:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 14 2004, 01:25 PM\'] From what I understand, all the cars were donated by the manufacturer.  Forget prize budgets, Oprah did it the right way. [/quote]
 Pontiac did indeed donate all the cars PLUS either Pontiac or Oprah herself is paying for all the taxes on the vehicles.  The model of car given away wasn't a low-end model; a local news story reported the vehicles were loaded (satellite radio, sunroof, the works) and had a MSRP of over $28,000.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 02:57:52 PM »
Some MAY expect Fremantle to hire Oprah, but I'm in the "When Bob goes, TPIR goes" boat. I didn't see this moment, but I bet it was a lot of fun.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 03:03:48 PM »
Some MAY expect Fremantle to hire Oprah, but I'm in the "When Bob goes, TPIR goes" boat. I didn't see this moment, but I bet it was a lot of fun.

Hate to break this to you, but from what I've heard, Fremantle andCBS have every intention of keeping the show going after Bob Leaves. Now whether or not Bob's involved with the process is another story.

BTW, even though I don't like Oprah anymore, this was awfully nice of her.
insert signature here

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 03:16:17 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Sep 14 2004, 02:03 PM\'] BTW, even though I don't like Oprah anymore, this was awfully nice of her. [/quote]
 Awfully nice of her? I found it to be nothing more than a big attention scheme for both her and Pontiac.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 03:55:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Sep 14 2004, 03:16 PM\'] [quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Sep 14 2004, 02:03 PM\'] BTW, even though I don't like Oprah anymore, this was awfully nice of her. [/quote]
Awfully nice of her? I found it to be nothing more than a big attention scheme for both her and Pontiac. [/quote]
 I agree.  It's great television, but it's barely one step above Queen For A Day.  Saturday Night Live did a great skit last season lampooning Oprah's giveaway shows, and how her audience whips themselves up into a frenzy over the goodies they receive.  This stunt amounted to self-parody as far as I'm concerned.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 04:23:14 PM »
Awfully nice of her? I found it to be nothing more than a big attention scheme for both her and Pontiac.

Now that I think about it, Maybe not nice  on her(after all, its reported she only paid for the taxes, not the cars themeselves) but it's nice for those people tho-I like to see people get stuff, especially cars...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 04:24:07 PM by urbanpreppie05 »
insert signature here

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 04:41:51 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Sep 14 2004, 03:23 PM\']

Now that I think about it, Maybe not nice  on her(after all, its reported she only paid for the taxes, not the cars themeselves) but it's nice for those people tho-I like to see people get stuff, especially cars... [/quote]
 According to http://www.theiowachannel.com/entertainmen...009/detail.html that article, she's paying for neither.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 04:59:37 PM »
Anyway, its still nice that they got those cars.
insert signature here

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2004, 05:13:31 PM »
So how exactly does this work (to ask a stupid question) taxwise?  Does every audience member get a 10-99 (since I would think a car received at a TV show taping does have to qualify in some way as income, even if they weren't going to a taping with the intention of winning a car)?  Or are those 10-99s forwarded automatically to Pontiac, since they donated the cars and are picking up the taxes (so says the article Mark hyperlinked)?  Or is everything swept under the rug?  Have I asked enough questions?

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 08:08:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Sep 14 2004, 02:16 PM\'] [quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Sep 14 2004, 02:03 PM\'] BTW, even though I don't like Oprah anymore, this was awfully nice of her. [/quote]
Awfully nice of her? I found it to be nothing more than a big attention scheme for both her and Pontiac. [/quote]
 Either way, I just might be going to Chicago for either Christmas or next fall's season premiere (season 20). ;-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Robair

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2004, 09:53:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 14 2004, 02:55 PM\'] I agree.  It's great television, but it's barely one step above Queen For A Day.  Saturday Night Live did a great skit last season lampooning Oprah's giveaway shows, and how her audience whips themselves up into a frenzy over the goodies they receive.  This stunt amounted to self-parody as far as I'm concerned. [/quote]
 "Gee, if I don't have a big splashy giveaway show to start my 19th season, people might not like me! They might just watch that wuss Jane Pauley or that dweeb Pat Croce. Wasn't he the cracker that sang "Time in a Bottle" and died in a plane crash? What's he doing hosting a TV show?"

Yeah. I have never liked Oprah. Other than King World's duo she is perhaps responsible for the death of nearly every syndicated game show since her inception. And what does she follow that big car getaway with? Her usual stock in trade, uncomfortable close-ups of mourning family members whose loved ones are missing and presumed dead. "Needless to say we are NOT giving cars away today..."
--Robair

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2004, 05:48:16 AM »
Nitpick to Robair:  Actually it's Jim Croce who sang "Time In A Bottle" from 1973.  Pat Croce was the former head hancho of the Philadelphia 76ers basketball team.  He now hosts "Moving On".  I think they should change it to "Moving Out(as in Pat Croce moving out),  You won't catch me watching that dweeb.

As far as the $28,000+ Pontiacs go, they're most likely the high-end Grand Am LX models.

aaron sica

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2004, 06:39:19 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Sep 15 2004, 05:48 AM\'] Nitpick to Robair:  Actually it's Jim Croce who sang "Time In A Bottle" from 1973.  . [/quote]
 I've never done one of these before, so it's my first time!

Hey, Craiggers:

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!