Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I think we've found the new host...  (Read 5400 times)

davemackey

I think we've found the new host...
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2004, 06:39:36 AM »
Nitpick to Robair: Actually it's Jim Croce who sang "Time In A Bottle" from 1973.

See that lever on your Sarcasm Detector? Move it from STUN to KILL. Thank you.

Yeah, what does Oprah follow giving cars with for the next seven years?

And who started this business of talk shows giving away stuff anyway? I think it was Rosie O'Donnell. It, of course, is the next level of "plugola", only everyone gets the stuff, not just the host.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 06:40:26 AM by davemackey »

TimK2003

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2004, 07:50:34 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Sep 15 2004, 05:39 AM\'] Yeah, what does Oprah follow giving cars with for the next seven years?
 [/quote]
 Considering that for every new TV season, there is an average of 10 new talk shows and 3 court-related shows -- many never make it to their 2nd season -- Oprah (and her clout) could very well afford each person in an audience of 200+ their own talk or court show.  Surely throwing over 200 shows on the wall at the same time would yield 4 or 5 shows that stick and would be future monster shows that would last over 15 seasons on the air -- especially advantageous to Harpo Prods. once she retires.

Of course, the Dr. Phil rule would come into play, whereas each of the 200 shows cannot be on the same time as her show in the same market, but that would give plenty of competition in the other 23 hours of the day on both regular and cable TV and would pretty much change the the look of TV as we know it.

[Sarcasm meter set to "5" for those young-uns out there]

Tim

Jumpondees

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2004, 04:40:13 PM »
According to an AP story that I came across at this link...

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/sep13_oprah-ap.html

Pontiac is paying for all taxes and customization charges on all the cars....

BTW, IMO...Nice publicity stunt...for both Pontiac and Oprah......I mean...Ms. Winfrey gets her name in the national news, and Pontiac has a outlet to advertise it's new line of automobile.

And while I'm still here and on the topic...

Fostergray82 -->
Either way, I just might be going to Chicago for either Christmas or next fall's season premiere (season 20). ;-)

It's been reported in the past that only Oprah and a few selected others close to her know when they tape the "giveaway" shows; where very, very, nice and expensive gifts are given to every member of the studio audience.  This is to prevent her staff from notifying their families and friends as to when these shows are being taped and requesting tickets...Thus, Oprah's "real" fans are the unexpectant beneficiaries of the boo-tay.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2004, 04:43:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Jumpondees\' date=\'Sep 15 2004, 01:40 PM\'] It's been reported in the past that only Oprah and a few selected others close to her know when they tape the "giveaway" shows; where very, very, nice and expensive gifts are given to every member of the studio audience.  This is to prevent her staff from notifying their families and friends as to when these shows are being taped and requesting tickets...Thus, Oprah's "real" fans are the unexpectant beneficiaries of the boo-tay. [/quote]
 That said, the desire for mondo ratings for a season premier would still make the chances of, say, being given a small Meditteranean island better than if you went in March, I think.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

johnnya2k3

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2004, 07:34:54 PM »
Also on that same season premiere, a family with eight foster children were awarded $100,000 to buy the house they were about to be kicked out of plus an additional $30,000 for repairs. AND...they were also given new appliances and electronics courtesy of Best Buy, including some that would NEVER be offered on TPIR!! Well, except for that side-by-side refirgerator with a built-in TV (it's by LG and over $3,500, in case you're wondering); that could be a great Showcase/Golden Road prize.

By the way...there were also a couple EMTs present in the studio in case anybody in the audience were a bit to, uh...car-azy?

Jonathan Allen
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 07:37:39 PM by johnnya2k3 »