Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: This Might Sound Silly  (Read 4558 times)

remlap

This Might Sound Silly
« on: September 04, 2004, 07:05:31 PM »
Are there any dvds or videos out of the price is right seeing as im not in the US or Canada I wouldnt know if there are please reply

Thanks

tommycharles

This Might Sound Silly
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2004, 11:31:57 PM »
[quote name=\'remlap\' date=\'Sep 4 2004, 06:05 PM\'] Are there any dvds or videos out of the price is right seeing as im not in the US or Canada I wouldnt know if there are please reply

Thanks [/quote]
 Sorry, but no. Game show DVDs are fairly hard to come by, with the exception of You Bet Your Life, and if I'm not mistaken there's a Best of the Newleywed Game DVD.

whampyl03

This Might Sound Silly
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004, 01:45:41 AM »
Sorry, but no. Game show DVDs are fairly hard to come by, with the exception of You Bet Your Life, and if I'm not mistaken there's a Best of the Newleywed Game DVD.

I believe somebody also recently released a compilation of a few Starcade episodes on DVD as well.  Can't remember exactly who released it, or if it's still being produced at this time, though.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2004, 01:47:05 AM by whampyl03 »

BrandonFG

This Might Sound Silly
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2004, 03:35:04 AM »
[quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Sep 5 2004, 12:45 AM\']

I believe somebody also recently released a compilation of a few Starcade episodes on DVD as well.  Can't remember exactly who released it, or if it's still being produced at this time, though. [/quote]
 IIRC, it's JM Productions, the company that packaged the show.

And with some of the obscure TV shows and TV movies that come out on DVD, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few more game show DVDs somewhere down the line.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

remlap

This Might Sound Silly
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2004, 07:56:43 AM »
Thank you very much all

Ive noticed alot of emmys for consideration dvds on ebay, would they do that for daytime emmys?

Thanks

tommycharles

This Might Sound Silly
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2004, 11:31:53 AM »
[quote name=\'remlap\' date=\'Sep 5 2004, 06:56 AM\'] Ive noticed alot of emmys for consideration dvds on ebay, would they do that for daytime emmys?
 [/quote]
 If I'm not mistaken (and it's entirely possible that I am) those DVDs generally show up when it's a specific episode or special that has been nominated. Not a whole series, as in the case of a game show.

remlap

This Might Sound Silly
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2004, 01:48:50 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Sep 5 2004, 10:31 AM\'] [quote name=\'remlap\' date=\'Sep 5 2004, 06:56 AM\'] Ive noticed alot of emmys for consideration dvds on ebay, would they do that for daytime emmys?
 [/quote]
If I'm not mistaken (and it's entirely possible that I am) those DVDs generally show up when it's a specific episode or special that has been nominated. Not a whole series, as in the case of a game show. [/quote]
 No your right, but its better than nothing and ive always wondered how they are laid out if its just footage or have interactive menus, if one poped up

So its not a perticular episode of the game show thats nominated its the whole season long?

Matt Ottinger

This Might Sound Silly
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2004, 05:26:48 PM »
[quote name=\'remlap\' date=\'Sep 5 2004, 01:48 PM\'] No your right, but its better than nothing and ive always wondered how they are laid out if its just footage or have interactive menus, if one poped up

So its not a perticular episode of the game show thats nominated its the whole season long? [/quote]
 I couldn't quote the specifics, and the rules may be different for game shows, but typcially only two or maybe three episodes of a series is submitted to the Emmy panel for judging.  That's true whether it's the entire series that's being judged or an individual's performance.

Still, that's just what is submitted to judges.  A "For Your Consideration" DVD of a television show (or star) is a lot less common than one for a film, because the judging for Emmys is a lot different than the judging for Oscars.  Such DVDs for game shows or soaps would probably be even rarer.  So even though TPIR has certainly submitted episodes to be judged for any number of categories, that doesn't mean that there's a DVD of those episodes floating around in Hollywood.

Even if such DVDs existed, you can be sure they'd be bare-bones affairs that contain only the episodes and no fancy features.  But by no means is the entire season of any show on a DVD for judging purposes.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

remlap

This Might Sound Silly
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2004, 05:45:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 5 2004, 04:26 PM\'] [quote name=\'remlap\' date=\'Sep 5 2004, 01:48 PM\'] No your right, but its better than nothing and ive always wondered how they are laid out if its just footage or have interactive menus, if one poped up

So its not a perticular episode of the game show thats nominated its the whole season long? [/quote]
I couldn't quote the specifics, and the rules may be different for game shows, but typcially only two or maybe three episodes of a series is submitted to the Emmy panel for judging.  That's true whether it's the entire series that's being judged or an individual's performance.

Still, that's just what is submitted to judges.  A "For Your Consideration" DVD of a television show (or star) is a lot less common than one for a film, because the judging for Emmys is a lot different than the judging for Oscars.  Such DVDs for game shows or soaps would probably be even rarer.  So even though TPIR has certainly submitted episodes to be judged for any number of categories, that doesn't mean that there's a DVD of those episodes floating around in Hollywood.

Even if such DVDs existed, you can be sure they'd be bare-bones affairs that contain only the episodes and no fancy features.  But by no means is the entire season of any show on a DVD for judging purposes. [/quote]
 Thanks for the reply, cleared things up for me, it surpices me that there isnt many game show dvds out there though

Thanks.

TwoInchQuad

This Might Sound Silly
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2004, 10:02:42 PM »
Well, actually, though they are not widely marketed, there are a **few** game show DVDs available for some of the Goodson-Todman programs.

Also, I believe that an episode or two of I've Got a Secret and the $64,000 Question were included in a 50's TV show boxed set a couple of years back.

-Kevin

mmb5

This Might Sound Silly
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2004, 08:43:20 PM »
Things found while researching other things...

New DVD Releases:

First Look next plans to release the 1956-64 TV series "Queen for a Day," a game show/soap opera hybrid that might have camp appeal. Only 12 episodes remain, because aging destroyed many of the negatives. The set should arrive first-quarter 2005.

I don't believe the Balderdash about the aging, but the preservationists in the group now have another number...

--Mike
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 08:44:48 PM by mmb5 »
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.