Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Let's Make a Deal prop  (Read 3585 times)

SamJ93

Let's Make a Deal prop
« on: September 18, 2004, 05:10:50 PM »
OK, I hope someone can back me up on this...

On the 84-86 run of LMaD I am positive that I saw Monty use a little gizmo I believe he called a "Money Changer" or something like that.  From what I remember, Monty gave three contestants a $1 bill, and they could either put it in the changer or take a sure thing prize--typical deal, I guess, except for this device.  If a contestant put their bill in, it might "change" into a $1000 bill, or just come out as a $1 bill again.

I know I saw this on at least one episode, and I just remembered today how much I wondered how it worked.  Does anyone actually know how this thing actually worked?  It had a little crank at the top and looked sorta like a small pepper mill, if that helps.

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Let's Make a Deal prop
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 05:51:46 PM »
I don't know EXACTLY how to explain it, but I believe it had other bills already rolled up inside. As one bill went in and got rolled up, the other bill unrolled itself and came out of the other end.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

zachhoran

Let's Make a Deal prop
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 07:31:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' date=\'Sep 18 2004, 04:51 PM\'] I don't know EXACTLY how to explain it, but I believe it had other bills already rolled up inside. As one bill went in and got rolled up, the other bill unrolled itself and came out of the other end. [/quote]
 The 70s syndie version sometimes saw two bills back to back emerge from said gizmo.

TimK2003

Let's Make a Deal prop
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 08:38:00 AM »
If memory serves me right, Monty's "Gizmo" was a miniature version of an old washing machine wringer.

On a wringer, there are 2 rollers that rotate and "pull" the wet clothes through, squeezing most of the water out of them as they passed through.

What Monty's device added was a roll of material which matched the color of the rollers.  The material was threaded like a cassette tape, except in an "S" pattern. All of the 'hidden' money was pre rolled into one of the rollers with the material.  

When the money was pulled through the machine, it would go under the material and roll around one of the rollers.  As the other roller would unroll, the hidden money would spit out the other end from the top of the same material roll.

It sounds confusing, but is easier done than said.  I had one of those gizmos as part of a kids magic kit when I was little.

Tim

johnnyd1788

Let's Make a Deal prop
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 03:05:07 PM »
I have a version of this classic magic trick. Maybe I can post pictures of how it works later.
John

Particleman

Let's Make a Deal prop
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 08:31:04 AM »
[quote name=\'johnnyd1788\' date=\'Sep 19 2004, 02:05 PM\'] I have a version of this classic magic trick. Maybe I can post pictures of how it works later.
John [/quote]
 Do you know who makes money off of those magic trick devices?

johnnyd1788

Let's Make a Deal prop
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 05:13:08 PM »
I have no idea. I think it came with an old Marvin's Magic kit I found at a garage sale years ago. Pictures will soon come. You may have to be patient, as I will be fairly busy this week.
Sorry...
John

Particleman

Let's Make a Deal prop
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 10:22:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Particleman\' date=\'Sep 20 2004, 07:31 AM\'] [quote name=\'johnnyd1788\' date=\'Sep 19 2004, 02:05 PM\'] I have a version of this classic magic trick. Maybe I can post pictures of how it works later.
John [/quote]
Do you know who makes money off of those magic trick devices? [/quote]
 The answer is, the people who sell them.

Sorry, someone asked me that one time about this very same product.  They're actually a load of fun.