Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy ToC questions  (Read 2376 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Jeopardy ToC questions
« on: September 22, 2004, 10:54:11 PM »
1. When did they stop displaying the champions' accumulated winnings at the top of the show?  I rather liked that; it gave at least one way to measure the contenders.

2.  Alex himself came up with the two-week format they use now, but how did they do it before?  Three players a day doesn't lend itself too well to a five day week...maybe just three semi-finals, the championship, and regular play on Friday? (On that note, am I correct in recalling that the prize was a trip, rather than more cash?)
Travis L. Eberle

adamjk

Jeopardy ToC questions
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 10:58:22 PM »
Not sure about #1, but for #2, haven't the tourneys always been 2 weeks? After all, they had 15 5 time champs the first season. I may be wrong, but I don't think so. Feel free to correct me if I am. But my guess would be they were 2 weeks right from the beginning.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Jeopardy ToC questions
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 11:04:29 PM »
Nono; I meant on Art Fleming's "Jeopardy!".  My bad.

You are correct; as long as Alex's J! has been on the air, the tournaments have been two weeks, but for the Teen Reunion and International ones.  (Thought I'd save us a reply, there.)
Travis L. Eberle

zachhoran

Jeopardy ToC questions
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 07:49:31 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Sep 22 2004, 10:04 PM\']

You are correct; as long as Alex's J! has been on the air, the tournaments have been two weeks, but for the Teen Reunion and International ones.  (Thought I'd save us a reply, there.) [/quote]
 The 10th anniversary tourney from 11/93 also lasted one week(nine players, three each in a semi-finals game, with the three winners playing a two-game finals)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Jeopardy ToC questions
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 08:32:11 PM »
hanks Zach, for completely not answering my original question.  There goes the 'saving a post' idea.

On second thought, I may as well contribute something: what is the 'participant' cash prize for the ToC?  I think it's up to $5,000 for semi-finalists, and up from there, but I haven't heard what Quarter-Final losers get.

(There should be a 'real' game show encyclopedia; for weird facts like this.  But that's another topic for another time.)
Travis L. Eberle

Steve McClellan

Jeopardy ToC questions
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 09:32:41 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Sep 23 2004, 05:32 PM\'] what is the 'participant' cash prize for the ToC?  I think it's up to $5,000 for semi-finalists, and up from there, but I haven't heard what Quarter-Final losers get. [/quote]
Get with the times, man! It's $5,000 for showing up, $10,000 for showing up the second tape day, at least $25,000 for third place, at least $50,000 for second, and of course, $250,000 to the winner.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 09:33:09 PM by gameshowsteve »

Jay Temple

Jeopardy ToC questions
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2004, 09:00:41 PM »
#1 This is at least the second and maybe the third where they didn't give the totals.  Personally, I think it added something when they did it.  If nothing else, it explained why the person at the first podium is there.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

That Don Guy

Jeopardy ToC questions
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2004, 09:45:17 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Sep 22 2004, 09:54 PM\'] Alex himself came up with the two-week format they use now, but how did they do it before?  Three players a day doesn't lend itself too well to a five day week...maybe just three semi-finals, the championship, and regular play on Friday? [/quote]
I remember seeing one of the ToCs from the Fleming version, and the final was a two-day match back then, just like it is now.  (I also remember one semi-final that ended in a tie, and I never did see how the tie was broken; either there wasn't a rule for it, or somebody forgot to tell Art Fleming, because he didn't know which one of them would advance to the final either.)  I'm pretty sure it was the top nine players, with just the semi-finals and two-day final.

-- Don

uncamark

Jeopardy ToC questions
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2004, 01:01:38 AM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Sep 25 2004, 08:45 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Sep 22 2004, 09:54 PM\'] Alex himself came up with the two-week format they use now, but how did they do it before?  Three players a day doesn't lend itself too well to a five day week...maybe just three semi-finals, the championship, and regular play on Friday? [/quote]
I remember seeing one of the ToCs from the Fleming version, and the final was a two-day match back then, just like it is now.  (I also remember one semi-final that ended in a tie, and I never did see how the tie was broken; either there wasn't a rule for it, or somebody forgot to tell Art Fleming, because he didn't know which one of them would advance to the final either.)  I'm pretty sure it was the top nine players, with just the semi-finals and two-day final.[/quote]
That's exactly how the Fleming-era TOCs went.  Most likely using the same pre-September 2003 conditions of undefeated champions, then four-day winners, then three-day winners if necessary, with amount won deciding the last slots.