Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: This Week's Game Show Almanac  (Read 3306 times)

AH3RD

This Week's Game Show Almanac
« on: September 18, 2004, 06:14:53 PM »
SEPTEMBER 15, 1967

Password, the Goodson-Todman-created war of the words, wrapped up a sensational 6-year, 1,555-episode run on CBS Daytime. Celebrities on the final edition were Betty White Ludden & Frank Gifford and the game contained a "Stars vs. Civilians" final game between Ed vs. Meryl and the celebs.

Allen Ludden, ever the cool and collected emcee, thanked the nation for its support over the six years of Password; his final words on the series finale were: "I'll see you soon, I hope!"  Ludden saw several subsequent hosting duties in 1969: on Win With The Stars, the unsold pilot of Jack Barry's The Joker's Wild, and Allen Ludden's Gallery, a typically late night talk show, before resuming his Password emceeing duties in 1971, when ABC added a new version of the game to its daytime schedule for a 4-year run.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2004, 06:15:20 PM by AH3RD »
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

rugrats1

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 09:07:51 PM »
Ludden saw several subsequent hosting duties in 1969: on ... the unsold pilot of Jack Barry's The Joker's Wild...

Shouldn't forget Hatos-Hall's unsold pilot from 1969, "Talking Pictures", which Ludden also hosted.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 09:23:10 AM »
I think the fact that reruns of the last season (which was in color) played to high ratings on the stations that aired them proved the show was cancelled prematurely - but hindsight is 20/20, I guess...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 07:52:19 PM »
Actually, the **two** unsold pilots of "The Joker's Wild"...

-Kevin
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 07:55:06 PM by TwoInchQuad »

ChuckNet

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 08:03:20 PM »
Allen Ludden, ever the cool and collected emcee, thanked the nation for its support over the six years of Password; his final words on the series finale were: "I'll see you soon, I hope!"

There was more before that, but unfortunately, it was cut for the syndie rerun package so as not to throw off lesser-informed viewers...a similar fate befell the TTTT finale, as it was originally planned to also sell its last season into syndication before the Moore version's success made it a moot point.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")