Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 22 Years Ago This Week...  (Read 9244 times)

zachhoran

22 Years Ago This Week...
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2004, 10:37:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Sep 21 2004, 09:32 AM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 21 2004, 09:30 AM\'] The New OC co-starred John Schuck [/quote]
John Schuck also co-starred on McMillan & Wife starring Rock Hudson, who died in 1985, the same year as the premiere of Headline Chasers. [/quote]
 I think Dickie Dawson did a guest shot on McMillan and Wife, no? He made references to it on both MG and Feud.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2004, 10:44:52 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 21 2004, 10:37 AM\'] I think Dickie Dawson did a guest shot on McMillan and Wife, no? He made references to it on both MG and Feud. [/quote]
 In other words, Don, sarcasm is lost on Zach.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

aaron sica

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2004, 10:45:32 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Sep 21 2004, 10:26 AM\'] Not unprecedented, though.  He did do PASS THE BUCK for the Tiffany Network (insert gratuitous joke about their news operation here).  This is just one example--a detailed listing of other examples is not necessary (subtlety is my forte ;-) ).

Doug [/quote]
 He also, of course, did TPiR on ABC, and Blankety Blanks on ABC, and PtB as you mentioned, on CBS. I was less than a year old when BB aired, and about 3 1/2 when PtB aired (although I have seen it on GSN in the past).

I dunno, for me, Bill's just so many on NBC, I just tend to think of him as an "NBC guy"...

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2004, 11:20:18 AM »
Oh, heck, you could have guessed THIS was coming.  By date, and color-coded by network:

http://userdata.acd.net/ottinger/Cullen/timeline.htm

Aaron's hunch is right. Even going back over the history of his career, Bill hosted more shows for NBC than for any other network.  Add that to the five years he was WNBC's morning radio man in the late fifties, and it's safe to say that Bill was more commonly associated with NBC than any other network.  Never exclusively, though, even when he was doing things for NBC Sports.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Don Howard

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2004, 12:12:54 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 21 2004, 09:30 AM\'] The New OC co-starred John Schuck [/quote]
 John Schuck also starred on Holmes & Yoyo, a sitcom on which periodic guest appearances were made by Larry Hovis, producer and regular panelist on The Liars' Club.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2004, 12:18:13 PM »
QUOTE (SRIV94 @ Sep 21 2004, 09:26 AM)

This is just one example--a detailed listing of other examples is not necessary (subtlety is my forte ;-) ).

QUOTE (Matt Ottinger @ Sep 21 2004, 10:20 AM)

Oh, heck, you could have guessed THIS was coming.  By date, and color-coded by network:

Well put together.  Of course, I was thinking of someone else when I was trying not to be subtle.  Nice job in any case.

Doug
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 12:21:15 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Don Howard

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2004, 03:51:18 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 21 2004, 09:30 AM\'] The New OC co-starred John Schuck [/quote]
 John Schuck starred as Herman Munster on The New Munsters. Also in the cast as Grandpa was Howard Morton, a fairly regular celebrity player on The $25,000 Pyramid during his days on One Day At A Time and Gimme A Break.

aaron sica

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2004, 04:27:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Sep 21 2004, 03:51 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 21 2004, 09:30 AM\'] The New OC co-starred John Schuck [/quote]
John Schuck starred as Herman Munster on The New Munsters. Also in the cast as Grandpa was Howard Morton, a fairly regular celebrity player on The $25,000 Pyramid during his days on One Day At A Time and Gimme A Break. [/quote]
 Who did Howard Morton play on "One Day at a Time"? I remember him on "Gimme a Break"...

ObGameShows: Valerie Bertinelli was a celebrity player on "$20,000 Pyramid".

SRIV94

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2004, 04:35:03 PM »
Stay with me now--he played Mackenzie Phillips' boyfriend's father (the very notable episode where Julie runs away).

JULIE:  Either I run my life, or I don't come back.
ANN:  OK, Julie. (Large pause) Don't come back.
<Audience at Metromedia Square applauds>

G-d, I loved that show.  :)

Doug
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Don Howard

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2004, 04:47:25 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Sep 21 2004, 03:35 PM\'] Stay with me now--he played Mackenzie Phillips' boyfriend's father (the very notable episode where Julie runs away).

[/quote]
 Yes, that was a four-parter to open the season. In that arc, the boyfriend was played by William Kirby Cullen. When called by his nickname, his name is Bill Cullen.

SRIV94

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2004, 04:57:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Sep 21 2004, 03:47 PM\'] Yes, that was a four-parter to open the season. In that arc, the boyfriend was played by William Kirby Cullen. When called by his nickname, his name is Bill Cullen. [/quote]
 Probably had to go by that because of union restrictions.  For those uninitiated, if you join AFTRA (or SAG, for that matter) and someone already had the name you wanted to be known by you needed to modify it in some way (like adding a middle initial, adding a middle name, going formal on your first name, going casual on your first name, even changing the name entirely, et al).

I was lucky--no one in AFTRA had *my* name.  :)

Doug
Doug

Ian Wallis

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2004, 09:29:41 AM »
John Schuck also starred on Holmes & Yoyo, a sitcom on which periodic guest appearances were made by Larry Hovis, producer and regular panelist on The Liars' Club.

"Holmes & Yoyo" ---yes, that was on right before "Mr T & Tina" (anybody remember that?) in 1976.  Pat Morita starred in "Mr T & Tina", and he guested on "Tattletales" around the time of his show's debut.

Probably had to go by that because of union restrictions. For those uninitiated, if you join AFTRA (or SAG, for that matter) and someone already had the name you wanted to be known by you needed to modify it in some way (like adding a middle initial, adding a middle name, going formal on your first name, going casual on your first name, even changing the name entirely, et al).

That's correct, and one of the best examples that come to mind is singer/actress Vanessa Williams.  There's also another actress known as Vanessa Williams who starred for a while in "Melrose Place".  I'm pretty sure it's the former who now goes by Vanessa L. Williams.  She guested on "Super Password" several times in the '80s.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2004, 09:57:18 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Sep 21 2004, 04:35 PM\'] Stay with me now--he played Mackenzie Phillips' boyfriend's father (the very notable episode where Julie runs away).

JULIE:  Either I run my life, or I don't come back.
ANN:  OK, Julie. (Large pause) Don't come back.
<Audience at Metromedia Square applauds>

G-d, I loved that show.  :)

Doug [/quote]
 Oh, OK - I remember that little storyline now, but don't remember Howard Morton playing him.

If/when the show comes out on DVD (which, at the rate TV shows are flying onto discs, hopefully soon!), I'll check it out.

zachhoran

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2004, 09:58:21 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Sep 22 2004, 08:29 AM\']
That's correct, and one of the best examples that come to mind is singer/actress Vanessa Williams. I'm pretty sure it's the former who now goes by Vanessa L. Williams.  She guested on "Super Password" several times in the '80s. [/quote]
 And she did Hot Potato in their first all-celeb week, Miss Americas vs. All American Sportsmen, during her Miss A. reign.

Don Howard

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2004, 09:58:22 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Sep 22 2004, 08:29 AM\'] "Holmes & Yoyo" ---yes, that was on right before "Mr T & Tina" (anybody remember that?) in 1976. [/quote]
 Also in the cast of Mr T. And Tina was a bearded Ted Lange, a few months removed from his co-starring role on That's My Mama and a year away from his decade-long stint on The Love Boat. Ted, along with Vicki Lawrence, was one of the celebrity players for the final week of Body Language.