Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: QuizBusters, Day One  (Read 3737 times)

Matt Ottinger

QuizBusters, Day One
« on: September 21, 2004, 10:28:18 AM »
We began taping our 16th season last night, and while I don't usually make a big deal about that, I did want to mention what a kick it was to have not one but TWO additional members of The Game Show Forum in attendance.  As he has in the past, "cyberjoek" was there representing his high school. At the risk of spoiling the results for you streaming video enthusiasts, his team won.  "Joek" personally did very well, but I'm teasing him for blanking on a Lightning Round question about The Half-Blood Prince being the upcoming sixth book in what series. (He later got to give the correct answer on-air, but for no points.)

I was also delighted to meet "The Ol' Guy", who drove an hour just to introduce himself, watch a couple of tapings, and show me some nifty British home games, not to mention a couple of very nice home adaptations he created himself.  "Guy" has been very generous to me in the past, and that continued last night when he gave me a British home version of what we know here as Trump Card.

One of my objectives for the Forum was to foster a sense of community and friendship among people who otherwise wouldn't even know each other, and while it was fun to meet several of you in a much more logical setting like the Game Show Congress in Burbank, it was pretty nice to see East Lansing, Michigan turn into a meeting place as well.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

vtown7

QuizBusters, Day One
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 06:54:45 PM »
Pardon my ignorance of US geography, but where is E. Lansing in relation to Detroit?  I have a friend in Windsor (Ont.) and would enjoy coming to see a taping if it's nearby.

Thanks,

Ryan :)

adamjk

QuizBusters, Day One
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 06:57:42 PM »
It's a few hours away I think. I live near Detroit, so that's how I know. BTW, how often do you guys tape? I'd like to see a taping myself sometime if it was possible.

tyshaun1

QuizBusters, Day One
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 07:41:22 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 21 2004, 06:57 PM\'] It's a few hours away I think. I live near Detroit, so that's how I know. BTW, how often do you guys tape? I'd like to see a taping myself sometime if it was possible. [/quote]
 Congratulations, Adam, on completely not answering the man's question. E. Lansing is about an hour and 15 minutes away from Detroit. I live nowhere near Detroit, so that's how I know. BTW, Matt, are there any online episodes of your show? I'd really like to give it a look-see.

Tyshaun

TimK2003

QuizBusters, Day One
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 07:41:51 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 21 2004, 05:57 PM\'] It's a few hours away I think. I live near Detroit, so that's how I know. BTW, how often do you guys tape? I'd like to see a taping myself sometime if it was possible. [/quote]
 If you're coming from downtown, off the bridge or tunnel, its roughly 90 mins. via I-96.  

Actually, that might sound like an interesting thing to see.  I may be visiting my relatives in Livonia before the end of the year.  Matt, how does one get to be a part of the studio audience, and when are the tape dates?

adamjk

QuizBusters, Day One
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 07:47:03 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Sep 21 2004, 06:41 PM\'] [quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 21 2004, 06:57 PM\'] It's a few hours away I think. I live near Detroit, so that's how I know. BTW, how often do you guys tape? I'd like to see a taping myself sometime if it was possible. [/quote]
Congratulations, Adam, on completely not answering the man's question. E. Lansing is about an hour and 15 minutes away from Detroit. I live nowhere near Detroit, so that's how I know. BTW, Matt, are there any online episodes of your show? I'd really like to give it a look-see.

Tyshaun [/quote]
 http://wkar.org/quizbusters/archives/2004/

There's the only episode available online right now. There's also some quizbusters junior shows available.

The Ol' Guy

QuizBusters, Day One
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 08:01:09 PM »
At the risk of sounding like a suck-up, could I mention that not only was Matt very courteous, it was the first night of taping, and there were several new staffers he needed to spend time with and technical issues that needed extra rehearsing. These pushed him behind schedule, yet he still took the time to greet and talk with us, getting him home probably later than he'd expected. I say this only to highlight the character many people on this board have, and Matt is a prime example. I hope our paths cross a few more times where we can sit down over a soda. Thanks so much, Mr. O.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 08:02:18 PM by The Ol' Guy »

mathwhiz

QuizBusters, Day One
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 08:28:23 PM »
With everyone that sounds like they would love to attend a taping, we could have an entire forum audience night!  I've attended a taping before, and I should go attend more, it's always fun to watch in person.  If anyone else goes to a taping again, let me know - I live right in the East Lansing area, and would love to go again.

Rich

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
QuizBusters, Day One
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 09:52:54 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Sep 21 2004, 06:41 PM\'] [quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 21 2004, 06:57 PM\'] It's a few hours away I think. I live near Detroit, so that's how I know. BTW, how often do you guys tape? I'd like to see a taping myself sometime if it was possible. [/quote]

Tyshaun [/quote]
 Suddenly I feel sorry for educators in Michigan.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
QuizBusters, Day One
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 10:16:43 PM »
>> BTW, Matt, are there any online episodes of your show? I'd really like to give it a look-see.

I am obviously not Ottinger, but...

http://wkar.org/quizbusters

They're not up yet, but I know they will be soon.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 10:18:06 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.