Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What makes a good theme?  (Read 5996 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
What makes a good theme?
« on: September 23, 2004, 07:27:29 AM »
In your opinion, what makes a good theme?  "I like the show.  Hence, the theme is good" holds no water.  A show's set can be glitzy and glamorous, the gameplay can be flawless and highly competitive, but the show's theme could be a 9-year-old playing a squeaky clarinet.  Unless you like badly played music, there's no way that theme could be good.

Does show longevity have an effect?  That is, almost everybody in the U.S. has heard the TPiR open at least once in their lifetime, as the show, in its current incarnation, has been around for almost 1/3 of a century.  Does familiarity make it good?  On the other hand, can hearing the same theme for 3+ decades make one grow sick of hearing it?

Discuss.

tyshaun1

What makes a good theme?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 08:16:55 AM »
To me, a show's theme has to fit in with the mood of the show. Family Feud's theme, of course, had existed before the show came into existance, yet was modified to resemble a "country" feel, whch helped give the show its All-American style.  
The reason why I like PYL's theme as opposed to Whammy's theme, is simply that Press' theme seems like it was written by the way the show plays out. PYL starts out with a sense of intensity and excitement, and later closes with a sense of release and freedom, whereas Whammy is all duh-da-dum-dum-dum-duh-da-dum-da-dum with little wavering, and the show had WAY too much situational BGM.
I do think how much you like the show plays a factor, but then again, there's situations like NYSI, CBS Double Dare, or for some people, Second Chance.

Just my .15 cents, trying to make a dollar.
Tyshaun
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 08:18:53 AM by tyshaun1 »

Clay Zambo

What makes a good theme?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 08:21:47 AM »
Where was the "Feud" theme used before the TV show?
czambo@mac.com

adamjk

What makes a good theme?
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 08:32:51 AM »
It was used as a car cue on Price is Right I do believe. In fact, Price still uses a portion of the Combs theme when the Grand Game is introed.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 08:33:22 AM by adamjk »

urbanpreppie05

What makes a good theme?
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 08:33:01 AM »
I feel that a show's theme should fit the show as well- but it doesn't have to have a heavy drum beat. One of the reasons why some fans like the remix of Feud 99 is because it has a melody and de-emphasizes the drums.
My preference has always been jazzier themes- stuff that just sounds like actual songs.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 08:36:01 AM by urbanpreppie05 »
insert signature here

Particleman

What makes a good theme?
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 08:34:38 AM »
This is a very loaded question!

In my opinion, part of what makes a good theme is one you hear and want to listen to again.  It also has to have a recognizable melody; a catchy part of the song you'll find yourself whistling at work or school.  That's what we're starting to lose in most themes of today.  Personally, I think Millionaire is one of the most recent game show themes that falls into the "catchy" category.  Most notably, it has a well-defined, easy to remember trumpet part in the main theme.

When shows last as long as TPiR and never change themes, it only drills the music deeper into your memory.  Depending on what the theme is, you'll either grow sick of it or just have it instilled deeper into your memory.  Fortunantly, TPiR has a very catchy, very timeless theme song and it's just as much a part of the show as the Plinko board or the large wheel.  But let's say To Tell the Truth lasted 30 years and used the same lyrical song (from the GSN Game Show CD) throughout it's history.  A now dated song like that would grate on my nerves!

Apart from game shows, everyone knows when you go to a wedding and the bride comes down the isle, there's a good chance the "Wedding March" song will be played.  Everyone knows it and the song has been around for ages but it's all just part of the experience and people expect it.  Half of the time, they're focusing on the bride anyway.  I think that's how it works for well established game shows as well.  Are we really focusing on the music every time someone comes up for a face-off on Family Feud?  Or when Bob gets his mic at the start of the show?  Maybe someone will disagree with me on that.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Ian Wallis

What makes a good theme?
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 09:21:42 AM »
Does show longevity have an effect? That is, almost everybody in the U.S. has heard the TPiR open at least once in their lifetime, as the show, in its current incarnation, has been around for almost 1/3 of a century. Does familiarity make it good? On the other hand, can hearing the same theme for 3+ decades make one grow sick of hearing it?

I agree with Particleman and mentioned in another thread about the melody...for me, any piece of music I like has to have a catchy melody.

As far as longevity...I think it does play a role.  I've mentioned that I really liked "Jeopardy" 1978 theme, because it is a great tune.  When the show came back in 1984, I was kind of disappointed they were using *that* as their new theme, but after hearing it for 20 years I gotten used to it and don't mind it.  

Same could be said for just about any piece of music...you hear something on the radio and you don't really like it the first time...but after hearing it 40 times over a three-week period, it kind of grows on you and you end up liking it.

Having said that, one tune I never really liked was the '69 "To Tell the Truth" theme.  I liked the show, but that "baaa baaa-baaa's" were annoying.  The instrumental '90s version was great, though!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BrandonFG

What makes a good theme?
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 12:21:51 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Sep 23 2004, 07:32 AM\'] It was used as a car cue on Price is Right I do believe. In fact, Price still uses a portion of the Combs theme when the Grand Game is introed. [/quote]
 NITPICK: It's the ending of the Dawson version. (Dawson's theme had a single bass drum beat at the end of the fanfare; Combs' had a drum fill)

That's my Horan moment of the year. ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Brandon Brooks

What makes a good theme?
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2004, 01:34:29 PM »
I was thinking about this as I was driving to work.  What do I like in a theme?  A sense of urgency... like I'm going to be a part of something big.  Laid back themes usually don't do it for me, though I like True Grit a lot.  High Roller '86, MGHSH, and $1MCOAL are some of my favorites.

Brandon Brooks

BrandonFG

What makes a good theme?
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 02:03:07 PM »
I personally love a song that has 1) a good horn line, 2) good percussion backing (not drum machine techno-crap), and 3) decent use of other background instruments (piano, synth, etc.). I think that's part of the reason I love the Dawson Feud theme so much. H^2 has a great horn line (even if it's a cover of an older song).

The song should have a distinct melody that's catchy, and easy to remember, which is something a lot of TV themes lack nowadays (not just game shows). It shouldn't sound like a band is just playing around with instruments, and recording whatever comes out (like "Pyramid"). The best example of a theme song that does this is "Dallas" (would've been an awesome game show tune). For game shows, a good example would be "Big Wheels."
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

adamjk

What makes a good theme?
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 04:37:34 PM »
I think a good theme, should not only be catchy and one that you often times play in your head, but it should also be a theme that the average person, even one that doesn't watch game shows a whole lot would recognize when played by itself.

For example, you could play the Price is Right, Jeopardy, or classic Family Feud themes, and just about everyone you ask would be able to tell you the show it's from. On the other hand, you could play a theme such as Hot Potato, and I would bet the average person wouldn't have a clue as to what show it's from.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
What makes a good theme?
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2004, 04:45:25 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Sep 23 2004, 06:27 AM\'] In your opinion, what makes a good theme? [/quote]
 For one, clarity.
A show that has a theme with a clear melody; and clean insturmentation (Chain Reaction, "Big Wheels"). Show's that overuse the synthesizer or a guitar vamp (Tic Tac Dough, The Savers) make the theme seem murky.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

mystery7

What makes a good theme?
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2004, 05:02:51 PM »
One thing I can add: a game show theme must be appropriate for the atmosphere of the show. Case study: TTD '90. A futuristic set with Xs and Os floating behind the players and a huge Cyclops-style gameboard would vitrually scream for a Hal Hidey masterpiece that perfectly blended the feel of the set with the excitement of the game. Instead it got a Henry Mancini theme better suited for a kid's show.

OTOH, Ben Stein's Money worked just great with classical music. And Debt pulled off a laid-back jazzy theme (by Alan Ett) quite nicely.

I still love beats, brass, synth and hooks, though.

And is it just me, or would the TTTT theme from '69 make a good punk song?

Brandon Brooks

What makes a good theme?
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2004, 05:08:10 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Sep 23 2004, 04:02 PM\'] One thing I can add: a game show theme must be appropriate for the atmosphere of the show. Case study: TTD '90. A futuristic set with Xs and Os floating behind the players and a huge Cyclops-style gameboard would vitrually scream for a Hal Hidey masterpiece that perfectly blended the feel of the set with the excitement of the game. Instead it got a Henry Mancini theme better suited for a kid's show.

OTOH, Ben Stein's Money worked just great with classical music. And Debt pulled off a laid-back jazzy theme (by Alan Ett) quite nicely.

I still love beats, brass, synth and hooks, though.

And is it just me, or would the TTTT theme from '69 make a good punk song? [/quote]
 Good point.  The song definitely has to fit the show, and TTD '90's didn't fit.  Another one that I didn't think fit the show was Break The Bank.  Too blah.

Brandon Brooks

adamjk

What makes a good theme?
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2004, 05:11:40 PM »
About BTB, was the same theme used for all 4 versions? If not, which version are you speaking of that had the blah theme?